CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1987 Hurricane to 2003 CBR600RR Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1987 Hurricane to 2003 CBR600RR Conversion

I got started on mounting the 2003 CBR600RR fairings on my 1987 Hurricane and thought people might like to see the progress. I spent a lot of time researching this conversion and had a pretty good idea how to do this. I started by mounting the 2003 fairing stay with the upper fairing:

Then I mounted the side fairings to the upper and moved things around until I found the best position. I cable tied the sides so I could make additional adjustments. At this point I can see that I need to trim the fairings a little to get the best fit.

Here's some picture of the progress so far:

Tomorrow I will trim the side fairings and mark the positions so I can fabricate the mounting brackets for the lowers. Right now everything fits pretty well and the front tire clears the underside of the fairings. I have full side to side turning.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by 74demon; 04-22-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: fix links
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. With the lines of the new bikes, do you think it would look better without the tire hugger?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 PM

Jury is out on the tire hugger...although it is the Hurricane fender. I'm concerned about the underside of the tail. The RR underside will not fit the Hurricane. I likely will fab something to enclose it, then I will take the fender off.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude that looks awesome!!! I so wanna figure out how to do that!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Thanks Cobra,

It really is a new life for the old Hurricane. Since this bike had no fairings at all when I bought it, it's kind of fun to see it tranformed.

I started with the upper fairing and am using the RR fairing stay. It can fit into the Hurricane mount with some modification but I decided to make some temporary straps that held it in front of the mount and allowed me to move the fairing up and down. That held it on center and let me find a good spot to mount the side fairings and see where they fell on the bike. What I found is that it needs to be mounted in front of the Hurricane mount and up higher. I can now make permanent mounts for it. Later I will fab a mount for the gauges.

The real trick is to get it all put together as much as possible to be sure everything fits front to back and top to bottom and that the tire and bars clear and steer full range. The fit is very tight without much room for error, because the newer RR's are smaller and skinnier than the Hurricane.

Some cutting and trimming has to happen as you go, and I am doing that very carefully because there is no turning back once you cut. The first thing I found was there is a radius on the RR frame that is different by just a small amount. On the right side the back of the louver opening hits the radiator hose, so it needs to be cut to fit and not hit the hose. The bow keeps the filler panels around the gauge cluster from fitting.

The tail is a little different, as the sub-frame needs to be modified. I plan on notching the back of the sub-frame and bending it up and welding it. I can't do that until I get the seats and seat mounts tho. I am looking for good used seats.

I still have a lot of work on the front parts to get them fit and fab the mounts.

You can do it if you have the patience and some fab skills. It's actually a fun project to figure out. There is a lot of info on the tail conversion but not much on the full fairing mod, so I am figuring most of it out myself. I will post more pics as things progress.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 PM

This is one of the better looking rr mounts I have seen. I think if you shaved that front fender it would fit the rr fairings better.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I totally agree with the front fender. I plan on cutting it back or using the RR fender if it will fit. I haven't tried it yet and don't know if it will fit. I have to take the tire off to get it in there. Not sure if there is a difference in the space between the forks. If that doesn't work the Hurricane fender will get cut all the way back to the top mounts. That lower mass is ugly with this mod.

It's only on there now so I can make sure the clearance is okay.

I will be working on the lower fairings and the inserts at the top today. Should have some more pics later.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to fit the rr fender in there. It doesn't look like there is a ton of variance between the forks (front tire width is usually within a couple centimeters on all bikes). I think I've seen it done before. Keep it up!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 PM

The previous owner on my bike put a f2 fender on mine, he mounted it although I would not call it overly successful, when I hit 130 the fender rubs the tire. I bought a slightly smaller front tire during my rebuild so Im curious to see if it will get rid of that problem.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 PM

Hey that's cool if the RR fender will fit. I held it up there and it looks like it will.

I spent most of the day working on the bike. The first thing I did was fit the right hand upper filler panel. It took 3 hours to trim it to fit. I had to go very slow because there was a lot of extra material on the RR part and that made it difficult to fit in there and know where to trim. I wanted it to fit tight up against the frame. Here are a couple of pictures of the final fit:

Then I took all the fairings off and put the exhaust system back on so I could mount the lower fairings. That also took some time and the right side had to be cut quite a bit to fit. I still have more work to do on it but here is a picture of how it looks:

The left side lower was much easier and actually fits pretty well. I don't have pictures of that side tho.

While I had it apart I put the headlights in there to get a better feel for the overall look:

I made the side fairing mounts and it is totally bolted up in this shot. I need to find a better bolt for the top back, but it is on the bike the way it will be in the final:

I bought a front seat on Ebay yesterday. Still need to find a good back one and the mounts so I can start on the tail. I do have the fairing stay mounts to make tomorrow so that will keep me busy.

I don't know if I posted this but this is what I want the bike to look like...well as a conversion cause I can't make it exactly like this:

Last edited by 74demon; 04-22-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: fix links

Quick Reply: 1987 Hurricane to 2003 CBR600RR Conversion