Wow cracked frame wtf

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra1000rr
That's split right at the swing arm mount, I would not trust a weld there because of were it is. But they say a weld is stronger than the metal you are welding too. If you are going around your insurance then you could strip it down and see what a welder shop could even do for you.
The crazy thing is it's cracked on both sites and I was still able to get home. I tore down the entire bike today, going to see if it's possible to weld tomorrow. He said he definitely can do it but I have some concerns.

If he grinds down the metal the swing arm mount holes won't match up again perfectly. However pushing down on the suspension should give it some play. Also one crack is broken through the threads so the shim might have to be welded in place so getting the engine back on is going to be a pain.

The weld is stronger than the metal but it won't break at the weld - the weld might break off the frame itself. The weld will definitely hold together, it's a matter of if the weld will stick to the frame.

Either way bike is in two halfs at the moment, I'm trying it I have nothing else to lose at this point - no full coverage. I'll keep this post updated with my progress.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 AM

By the way I figured out what happened and how I fell. This is crazy. The front wheel went down the pot hole suspension absorbed it fine. The rear wheel's suspension went ALL the way up, the wheel literally touched my exhaust, dented my exhaust severely. When the suspension pushed the wheel back down it smacked the asphalt so hard like a slingshot which caused me to fall. The wheel actually bent from hitting the pot hole. I think the frame broke even before I fell which is even more ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 AM

Wow. A pot hole that big would cause me to report that to the city somehow and see if they would help.