Wow cracked frame wtf

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow cracked frame wtf

I was riding in Chicago a bit too fast probably 50 mph in a 30 and hit an ENORMOUS pot hole. I mean this thing was two feet wide and dropped down 3-4". Combined with my speed and the ****ty rode, the bike just dropped. I don't know exactly what happened it all happened so fast but I was thrown from the bike there was nothing I could have done.

Long story short, the frame of the bike cracked in half. The bike didn't roll or anything it slid, yet still the frame managed to crack in half. I'm just speechless and ranting here :'(

Does anyone have suggestions on buying a new frame or perhaps welding this one?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not go the welding route, You could serch here, maybe someone is selling one or your semi-local CL or ebay.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:49 AM

Any guesses how much is wroth as is? Frame is cracked, needs a right side foot peg and all new fairings. That's about it.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:32 PM

Got any pictures?

Was the bike in any accidents prior to this? Its hard to imagine the frame cracking from a pothole though. The other parts of the bike are much weaker, such as the wheels and suspension. Normally, you would break or bend something other than the frame.

As far as value, its hard to say. I doubt you'd get much by selling it whole. Your probably better off parting the bike out, if you have the time for it that is.

I take it you didn't have full coverage insurance since your asking the value. That sucks. But at least your still here to talk about it.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justasquid
Got any pictures?

Was the bike in any accidents prior to this? Its hard to imagine the frame cracking from a pothole though. The other parts of the bike are much weaker, such as the wheels and suspension. Normally, you would break or bend something other than the frame.
Hey I cracked the frame on Yolie during my low side. But the curb prolly did it.

Some guys will say you can weld it depending on the cracks location. But I wouldn't do it. You can prolly pick up a frame off eBay. But no guarantees on what its been through. Best bet, part it out

Old 05-19-2012, 07:18 PM

It cracked cause it was laid down, due to hitting the pot hole not the hole itself. I checked eBay and frames are expensive as hell and come with salvaged titles. Here's some pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tduzr50ng1...519_191341.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/murel7zs2w...519_191329.jpg

Is it too far gone?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 PM

That's interesting the only time I have seen a frame crack in half is when Suzuki had that recall on the frames cracking under heavy stress... They had a s?!tty fix for it just to weld or somehow attach a plate to the frame where the cracks were occuring. Looked terrible.. I would have gotten rid of it after that but I don't like zukis anyways. If its any advise for you I'm splitting the cases on a wrecked 08 cbr600rr engine that I am building into a track bike because it's cracked heavily at the bottom rear mount and I'm not sure if i even feel good about welding that let alone the thing holding everything together...

Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Yeah that frame is too far gone. That bike is totaled. Some options you have are you can go through insurance if you have full coverage, you can buy a new frame and swap everything out, or part it out and buy a new bike with the money you make.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 AM

Frames are incredibly expensive, no full coverage. I'm going to call around and see if it can be welded. If it's totaled I'm probably done riding at least for a long time so this is a last ditch effort to ride this season It's not a stress point, so worst comes to worst the weld breaks and it's totaled. It's not in a critical spot to where I'd wipe out of it broke.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 PM

That's split right at the swing arm mount, I would not trust a weld there because of were it is. But they say a weld is stronger than the metal you are welding too. If you are going around your insurance then you could strip it down and see what a welder shop could even do for you.

Quick Reply: Wow cracked frame wtf