wife wants to go fast?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wife wants to go fast?

Don't have a 1000RR but do have a funny story.

I know a guy with a 86 custom softtail. This bikes front end had never even come close to coming up. One day the guy had his wife on the back. He went to take off like normal. He revved the engine pretty high and let off the clutch fast(how he normally took off). The bikes front end shot up before you could even blink. He set the bike down with no problem. We all laughed as his wife was chewing his a$$ for nearly throwing her off the bike.

I know I'm comparing apples(sportbikes) and oranges(harleys) here. The moral of the story is if a heavy a$$ softail can get off the ground with a passenger then your bike will do so also.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 AM

I don't own the 1krr, but a heavily modded 929. Mine comes up very easily when hard on the throttle in first and second. Obviously with clutch it can come up in other gears. That's not the point. You inquired about you and your wife going fast. Not to sound like a dick or anything but listen to your own logic and your thoughts are the best answer. If you are not comfortable with the reactions of the bike under normal riding, aggressive riding, and even experimenting like wheelies and such, then you shouldn't do it yet. I don't condone you experiment with wheelies, I meant that you would be able to test your suspension to see if it handles the load correctly for weight distribution. But if you want to do it for fun, that's your choice.

I've had my bike since September of last year and feel I can only ride it at 90%. Whether it's defensive traffic driving, draggin a knee on the track, or even 1/2 mile standups down the back country roads near my house (for the record, there's like 1 house in a 8 mile stretch). You are an extension of the bike, and therefore she is an extension of you. Say for example, if she still bonks the back of your helmet, or crunches your nuts when ya come to a slow down abrubtly, then that shows that there is more to be learnt.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with doing it in a higher gear until you both get use to the torque in tandem. I absolutely love riding solo as that is what the bike is set up for. BUT, it only takes a second to make a couple of adjustments to your suspension to compensate for the awesome feeling of the two of you rolling up through the rpm range wherever your ride takes you. It's taken my wife about 50 rides and now we can ride the bike through the twisty's at a spirited pace, say like 55-60% as opposed to 80-85 solo.

ok, that's my two cents. ENJOY!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 AM

ofcourse it comes up a lot easier. i'll be rolling around 15mph rev up and i can pop a wheelie easy. i am not good at it yet but it sure does come up Fast. i've seen a person that can do wheelies on his 600rr more with a chick on the back. so imo the extra weight will make u pop it up. just becareful

Old 07-02-2007, 06:18 PM

thanks.. to those of you who did answer the question... i also think the front would come up easier with a passenger... i'll keep doing what im doing... not listening to her when she wants to go fast. lol

ps.. i weigh 150 lbs soaking wet, and im 6'3" so yeah my riding position is towards the back of the seat and i dont weigh enough to hold the front wheel down in 1'st laying on the tank...... and i've had a couple occasions where i'll roll on second to WOT and it will lift the front about 8k rpm.... just my experience......thanks again for the info...

Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Hey Guy's,

AfterI did the 15\43 520 conversion, the front end comes up very easy, almost too easy,(first gear, under full throttle andfrom a dead stop).It's kind of scary if I stay on the throttle too long.I did it yesterday, next to my girlfriend...she was trying to race me home.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 PM

I tell ya what. I wiegh 210 and I'm 5'9' and my bike is bone stock except for some led blinkers. If I roll on the throttle at anything after 5500 in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd my front coming up no sweat. Ok maybe a little preload in third, but thats it. The point? These bikes got plenty of juice and if you hit hard its going to sit up and say hi to you. Just remember, you can go fast without giving it full throttle all at once.

If it aint in the red, your just cruising.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:00 AM

I don't own a 1krr, but an '06 F4I, and mine comes up quite a bit easier in first gear with the woman on the back, and while shifting into second. To give you an idea my fighting weight is about 185lbs, and if I were to take a stab at hers I'd say she's around 135ish (I hope to god she doesn't read these forums.)

Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 PM

I got a 06 1000RR with a Jardine Rt1 S/O, I weight 198lbs and my bike is useless in first gear. I have to ease into first gear and if i go above 6 it will stand up in a hurry, be easy on it till 11 grand and shift it will stand up on the 1-2 shift then 11 grand again will cause 2-3 shift to stand up also. This is with stock gearing. When my wife is on back i short shift all the time when we want to pick up the pace a little. Just my experience.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:28 AM

I don't have the 1k I have the 06 600 rr black and I have a wife. The answer is yes YES yes it comes up much easyer If im not carfull and I drop a gear to hard it shoots strait up. Im talking about doing 50mph. To the 100 owners saying they dont wheelie f*cking bs. If I open my STOCK 06 600 rr leaning all the way to the front the front tire comes up in first and in second and im 200 lbs. It lays back down with me trying to keep it dawn but if i lean back it rolls back. So if anyone says your 1000 dosnt do this then please stop posting because you dont own a cbr.