Weird Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Problem

Picked up my new 2006 Blade today . In bright sunlight, I tend to ride with main beam on as well (just to be seen).

After 5 miles, I flicked the high beam switch on, the blue dash indicator came on and then went straight out again.

I pulled into a garage to get fuel and found both the main and high beam lights out whilst the engine was running. The side light was fine.

I turned off the ignition to fill up with fuel.

When I went to start the bike again, the starter was totally dead.

So with iginition turned on, the dash does it's initial test, the side light and indicators work, but the bike feels like it is immobilised.

The dealer kindly dropped me home and took the bike back to the workshop for investigation. Now I have to wait

Turning the high beam on and blowing a fuse has caused the problem, but I don't know what else is on that fuse or why the fuse blew in the first place.

I'll keep you updated on the results.

Has any one else experienced this before?

Last edited by cliffordsyoung; 12-08-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You perhaps didn't accidentally toggle the kill switch while you were getting on/off it or messing with the other things, did you? A blown fuse for the headlights won't cause it to not start.

Might even be a charging or bad battery issue. The side lights draw very little current and they could light up if the battery is low enough to not crank the engine but still has a little juice.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
You perhaps didn't accidentally toggle the kill switch while you were getting on/off it or messing with the other things, did you? A blown fuse for the headlights won't cause it to not start.

Might even be a charging or bad battery issue. The side lights draw very little current and they could light up if the battery is low enough to not crank the engine but still has a little juice.
I tried all manner of things at the road side as did the mechanic when he turned up.

When you hit the kill switch, there is a read circle illuminated on the right hand side of the dash. When you switch it the other way (for starting), the red circle goes out, but the starter will still not turn over, then the red circle illuminates again shortly after.

Maybe it has someting to do with the built in immobiliser or the Datatool S4 alarm?

The battery has plenty of power in it.

Last edited by cliffordsyoung; 12-10-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Default Sorted

Bikes back home now and working.

The low/high beam and starter are all on the same fuse.

There was corrosion in a connector by the dash, which caused the fuse to blow when I used the high beam.

They replaced the fuse and it blew every time the high beam was switched on. After cleaning the corrosion and a bit of WD-40, its been fine.

Fingers crossed ........