Stands

Old 12-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stands

Anyone find they have to use a triple tree stand for this bike? Want to buy my boyfriend stands for Christmas (front and rear). He's got a 2005.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Default RE: Stands

You are a good girlfriend! The best that money can buy would probably be Pit Bull. If you want to save some $$, check out T-Rex on e-bay.

T-Rex on e-bay

You do not need a triple tree for the front, but it would be nice to have.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:15 PM

Yeah, the triple/steering head front stand is the best to get because you can do wheel changes AND remove the forks if needed.
+2 on PitBull stands. While you're getting him stands, make sure he has the swingarm spools for use with the rear stand. It's an 8mm thread on those and they're like $10-15 a set.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 AM

i have the pitbull that will either lift by the triples or the forks

for quick lifting the fork lift is easier but for reinstall of the front wheel or the forks at all lifting by the triples is the best way to go

yeah i know you can do the front wheel by the fork lift instead of a triple lift but it puts pressure on the forks and you dont get as many spins on the wheel after install

here is an excert off of rc51.org on how to do it
1) Get the bike up in the air on a front & rear stand. Front stand must lift from under the bottom clamp since the fork legs must be relaxed. The fork legs are the key to this whole thing ya see.
(2)Loosen up all the pinch bolts
(3)tighten the **** out of the fromt axle to make sure that the bearings are seated in hub all the way. Then immedaitely loosen up re torque to spec (?).
(4) Take your first spin baby. Got 6? No, OK, just seeing if you got lucky. If not read on, if so go to step 7.
(5)Drop bike to ground & compress the forks 10 or so times to get everything all good and settled & put er back up on stands. Got 6?, go to step 7.
(6)Now the fun part, DO NOT BE IN A HURRY, WERE WORKIN IN HALF MILLIMETERS HERE. Your fine tuning the distance between the bottom of the fork legs by putting pressure on the legs and tightening only the inner left(from on bike perspective)pinch bolt just enough to maintain the pressure on the legs. I can not emphasize how small an amount of bolt tightening and fork pressure I am talking about here. Start with small changes and check the spin. Try pressure pushing out and then in, just a little & then go to more pressure if necessary. Work your way around and spin regularly. Sort of like tire balancing, you know when your getting close. LDH's Ohlins' needed to be spread apart, my stockers needed to be pushed together. Either way this will work. There is a sweet spot in there somewhere that will yeild 5-6 spins.
(7) Got em?, good.. Now the most delicate part. Tighten the pinch bolts a half turn or so each with a spin every time you cycle through the bolts to be sure you have not shifted out of your sweet spot. If you shift out of the sweet try tightening in a different order or one side at a time untill you reach spec torque (?). DO not start all over, just loosen up to the point that you get your 6 spins back and try some other tightening pattern, maybe only do 1/8 turn. Its an art, not a science ya see.
(8) Phew, get a beer, relax. You just did the rc equivelant of sighting the abonimable snowman. He's out there & I saw him in my garage tonight.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:01 PM

The Pitbulls are definitely the best out there. I have those but also use this set of lightning performance stands ... pretty darn good for the money I thought as well.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:19 PM

with the pitbill triple clamp stand you will also need a #6 stand adapter

Old 12-12-2007, 07:47 PM

Pitbull may be the most popular but it's not the best, cyclecat stands are so easy a 10 year old can do it, not to mention the quality, this is head and shoulders above every other stand i've used (yea i used to like pitbulls) however they are expensive. http://cyclecat.com/UCS01-01.htm

Old 12-13-2007, 02:00 PM

The cycle cat stand is the one I would buy if I had the money. I just don't think I will ever have $250 plus shipping to buy 1 stand when you can get both front and rear stands for that price.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:27 PM

there is a company called Handy and you can get both front and rear for $100. I bought them over 5 years ago and still in perfect condition. I would recomend them.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 PM

ORIGINAL: hondaboy44709

there is a company called Handy and you can get both front and rear for $100. I bought them over 5 years ago and still in perfect condition. I would recomend them.
http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/...mp;D=5&S=0