Should i buy a cdr 1000?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moclakens
collage
That's funny. A bit ironic, too. Think of an inexperienced teenager riding a 1000RR...okay, now look up the word 'collage': an artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface. Ouch. : )

Originally Posted by thrasher572
Troll alert! Get the bodybag ready.
Can't...we still haven't disposed of blkout's corpse yet. : ) And anyway I think it's just incidental impersonation of a troll, not a real one.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 AM
June 2009 ROTM

i was just wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea to in cure around 5 to 7 thousand dollars in debt before i go to collage?.
Definitely no. Your expenses once you transfer to a 4 year are going to go through the roof. Nobody is ready for money management the first time they move away from home, and to have to make payments plus insurance on a new bike while going to school is just unrealistic. Its hard enough going to school full time and pay the bills, so an added luxury expense isn't a good idea.

Now I say all that without knowing your financial situation but based on my personal experience and the info provided. I would suggest something more practical like an F4i or even an SV650 or similar. Just take a look at the insurance costs and it should be enough to give you a dose of reality. Add in tires and general maintenance too.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by TX-Rider
I do not think the size of the bike is the main discussion here. It is about him being in college and being able to afford whatever bike he buys. It comes down to economics for his purchase due to him already having riding experince. If Moloackens has the financial means to buy and maintain the bike while completing college then by all means he should purchase the bike.

I myself went out and bought as my first bike against the wishes the people at the MSF school that I attended. But I am 40 yrs old with a family so I drive it like a 600cc bike. As my skills grow the more adventerous I will be with the throttle. Riding and cc bike takes a higher level of responsibility than anoher mode of transportation out there. Even when you are doing all that you can to be safe there are the reckless drivers around us that we have to take into consideration. Just my .2's.
Ya, it is mostly about the payments, not if i can ride it or not.
I am now looking at some used 600's, but still keeping an eye out for a cheap 1000. I am just going to save up and buy a bike out rite.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ya, it is mostly about the payments, not if i can ride it or not.
I am now looking at some used 600's, but still keeping an eye out for a cheap 1000. I am just going to save up and buy a bike out rite.
That would be the best bet until you graduate. then with your given career field you should be able to buy a new bike no prob, depending on living expenses, student loans etc. but should still be doable. Just not a headache you really want to deal with while trying to concentrate on school.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Banned

What the hell is a cdr 1000!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:59 PM

i was waitin for someone to comment on the grammatical error in the topic title. YOU know what he meant!

Heres what i have to say about the 1000rr, I have never owned a rocket prior to buying my 07cbr1000rr, many told me i'm crazy. well i just stuck with my gut feeling and bought the 1000rr and man i'm glad i bought the 1000, my buddy rides an 08 cbr600rr and its nice, but i love not having to fumble with my gears as much to get to the speed i want. (dont need 6 gears lol) i was a little leary at first buying it like wtf is this beast?!? i have about 14 years experience in the dirt. but your only as smart as your right wrist. and yea the 1000rr can kick your a$$ if your an idiot, but if your a driver with common sense its not a big deal. start out easy on it to get used to how the front end reacts to throttle response, then once you have the handling down, everything else is all how you treat the throttle.

I bought this bike with a good amount of knowledge on how they compare to the 600's which is why i opted for the 1000. 600's are plenty for whatever you want to do but i live by the "go big or go home" and "you only live once" i knew that if i bought a 600 i would want a 1000 sometime down the road so i figured hey, start out on a 1000 and take it slow, and hey, no wrecks thus far, couple close calls, and all the close calls are from me showing off being a dumbass. But we learn from out mistakes.