Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
that can be fixed with a lil gearing
Quite possibly.....

Old 02-09-2010, 02:50 AM

well it just lets you get to the torque a little quicker thats all... but feels alot better. and I agree with the weight thing, It shouldn't even be a factor in the decision between the 1000 and the 600. Which is why i said if that was a factor get the 600. apparently a pretty new rider because i can put my old 954 into a curve leaning just as hard as my buddies on their 600s still got to have the love for the 954RR, even compared to the 1000s of today. its so much more comfortable to me anyways

Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 AM

God these forums are so much more entertaining and filled with people that actually know what they are talking about. Thank you bubba for the big explanation. I probably should have explain myself a little bit more. When I was a little bit younger I used to race (not competitively) dirt bikes for fun and i hondestly never went over a 125. I just had a lot of fun with that and sooner or later I really wanted a street bike. I originally bought this 1000 bike because it was already broken to an extent and me and a bike tech were going to fix it. The kid who had it before me was and idiot and said he couldnt figure out why it wont start so I got it for one hell of a price. (It was a bad battery btw). So I put a new battery on there not realizing when he attempted to change out the spark plugs before in the winter that he cracked one of them open and some of the little pieces went down into the cyl. cyl number three to be exact. So I ended up riding it for like a couple damn days before the cyl along with the valves went smash. And yes when I first took it out I hit 110 on it and nearly **** myself. I barely have any riding experience on a street bike. I have a lot more on a dirt bike which I talked about the weight issues. I mean obviously dirt bikes are completely different, so i just wanted your advice and thank you to all that have been posting.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:20 PM

Although the weight of the 1000 is close enough to the 600 that it should be a moot point, it's the increased weight of the rotating and reciprocating parts (pistons, connecting rods, crank) that make the 1000cc bike a much less agile and less flickable bike while AT SPEED than a 600... Although that is a scientific fact, to ask if that makes the bike better or worse is a subjective call... Having had both, I myself think I4 literbikes are a step down in rideability/usability as the increase HP/Torque does not make up for the highly noticeable loss in handling...

Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 PM

Hey bro, welcome to the forums. First wanted to tell ya, this forum is full of years and years of experience and accidents. If you have thought of it, it has probably been done. Ask tons of questions, you will get tons of answers, and then you make your decision of what you want to do.

I have two bikes, an 02 F4i 600 and an 05 1000RR. I love them both, I love the agility and great cornering that that F4i has, and the easy ability of it to ride wheelies. I love the 1000RR for the power and speed it has. The respect of the 1000, among my friends since almost everyone I ride with has a 1000 and we all ride hard and fast. I have been riding for over 10 years and I would have never gotten a 1000 right away. I would have probably killed myself already. The 600 has more than enough power for speed and torque, you just need to change out your sprockets for that. My 600 can ride and hang with any cruiser and still beat them in town and on the highway.

My two sense is to get a 600 and ride it for at least 10,000 miles and then someday get a 1000. You have to respect the power and then move up to a more powerful bike.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:53 PM

Some say I'll outgrow the 600 quickly becuase I'm a little more ballsier than most of them and I'll admit I'm an idiot at times when it comes to taking certain risks. Like when I had about 30 seconds of experience on a sportbike in general, let alone a 1000cc bike and floored it and hit 110 with no helmet... that was probably dumb... scary... and the most amazing feeling I've ever felt in my life. Almost better than sex . k, but seriously yeah I am probably going to get a 600, it really is more than enough power for me... like I said I weight 120 lbs on a fat day and I'm a dude. I'd make a good horse jockey I guess. Then again i guess I could call my bike my horse haha.
I really am a noob when it comes to bikes though. Like I heard someone say sprockets? I don't even know what they are. I have decent knowledge of car engines, turbos, and superchargers, and of course the legendary Vtec; but what can I do to this 600 to make it better? I know better is very vague but I suppose I would just like to learn about what makes the bike go and how can I make it better starting from the beginning would be nice but I'm a quick learner. Gearing? Sprockets? pros and cons of stretching?

Im MECP professional so I know a crap ton about car audio and electronics... but thats not going to help me here. Help me cbr forumsssss

Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 AM

The sprockets on our bikes are a lot like the rear end gear ratios in out car. Just gets you into your power band quicker. Doesn’t effect the output of the bike. I wouldn’t stretch my bike unless I plan on doing A LOT of drag racing and drag racing only. It kills the handling of the bike due to the extensions throwing off your geometry of your bike. You can make a extended bike handle good but you have to be a genius at bikes suspension. But even so it will not handle as well as a stock setup on the bike. However extending and lowering your bike will greatly reduce the bike pulling a wheelie in a drag race and letting you leave harder if you have some good rubber behind it.

I would say besides some cosmetics get a bike and get familiarized and comfortable on that bike before you start doing any aftermarket upgrades. Just my opinion.

So you like audio equipment? I have done my fair share of that =D was my only form of income for a while, installing car audio systems. It’s fun and interesting stuff. Bikes and Cars and generally the same idea, if you have a mechanical knowledge of cars you will be able to catch on quick and easily, its all the same stuff just on a different platform.

Originally Posted by sconley
Although the weight of the 1000 is close enough to the 600 that it should be a moot point, it's the increased weight of the rotating and reciprocating parts (pistons, connecting rods, crank) that make the 1000cc bike a much less agile and less flickable bike while AT SPEED than a 600... Although that is a scientific fact, to ask if that makes the bike better or worse is a subjective call... Having had both, I myself think I4 literbikes are a step down in rideability/usability as the increase HP/Torque does not make up for the highly noticeable loss in handling...
I disagree as far as saying liter bikes are less “flickable”. The increased weight in reciprocating mass you were referring to isn’t totally true. These larger displacement bike engines in most cases do not weigh more than its 600cc counterparts by more than a couple of pounds if any. Take the 954 for instance, same frame as a 600cc of the same year yet it weighed one less pound dry than the 600F4i of the same year, and this continues to be a constant throughout the years of the 1000cc… especially with the newer body style 2008-10. But we all have our opinions and that is mine.

Finch

Last edited by bubba_finch07; 02-11-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 AM

I do know know that alot of the newer 1k's are actually lighter, but still heavier. But Yeah I need to get a grip on a bike first before I do anything major haha, I just wanted to have more knowledge on all of it. I need to read around more on the forums. I guess its just easier for me to read and learn when someone posts in my own thread. Plus I need to get up to 100 posts to become a senior member so I can get my bike parts on here for sale. and if the moderators are reading this, I'm not trying to sell through this post, I'm just sayin I want to become a senior member so please don't delete this.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM

If you have questions, just ask. Also research your answer as well. There are PLENTY of knowledgeable ppl here on ALL different types of bikes so we can and will try to help you in any way we can. On a side note I have never used this to get a discount, and I'm pushing 300 posts lol! eBay and bikebandit get me most of eveything i need at a good price

Old 02-11-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by bubba_finch07
I disagree as far as saying liter bikes are less “flickable”. The increased weight in reciprocating mass you were referring to isn’t totally true. These larger displacement bike engines in most cases do not weigh more than its 600cc counterparts by more than a couple of pounds if any. Take the 954 for instance, same frame as a 600cc of the same year yet it weighed one less pound dry than the 600F4i of the same year, and this continues to be a constant throughout the years of the 1000cc… especially with the newer body style 2008-10. But we all have our opinions and that is mine.

Finch
Essentially, weight/mass is a function of speed (this is totally true, I'm afraid... I believe it is called Newton's Second Law of Motion)... It's not just a question as to how much something weighs while at rest, but at what speed is the weight/mass moving/rotating. Also, applying a force upon a rotating/gyroscopic weight (e.g. trying to turn a motorcycle) will have that force effected at approximately 90 degrees later in the the plane of rotation relative to the application point of the force.

A crank that is heavier by a few ounces may not sound like much on paper (or even be perceived on an OEM's brochure), but at 10,000 rpm and 120mph it is exponentially heavier and easily verified/measurable... Most racers focus on dynamic weight reduction with wheels and flywheels and the like... Some do lighten cranks but there is only so much you can do as you run the risk of a failure. This dynamic effect can most easily be improved with lighter wheels as each OUNCE of weight reduction on the outer rim (furthest point from rotation) is equal to about 24 POUNDS of weight at 100mph!

While I appreciate your subjective observation that you can't feel the effect of dynamic weight and its affect on motorcycles, it is a very real objective phenomena. And yes, I agree OEM's have and will continue to use better/more exotic materials to lessen it. And while a small group of riders, such as yourself, may not be able to perceive the changes/differences in the dynamic weight between a larger displacement bike and its smaller displacement counterpart, I can and subjectively don't particularly find the handling characteristics desirable. Others riders may even find the changes desirable... I can't make up anyone's mind on that, but the original post asked for the pros and cons of a liter-bike and I was giving him my subjective opinion based on objective fact. He's free to ignore it, and so is everyone else...

Quick Reply: pros and cons 1000cc vs 600cc