New to the club, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the club, couple questions

So i finally caved in and got one of these puppies. '05 1krr with 16,000 miles on her. Picked it up for $4,300. ( gotta love the off season!) Crappy cell phone pictures, but she is not camera worthy yet. but check out the blinker set up, kinda cool.

This is a whole different game than on the F3, well not that different haha just a huge friggin gas tank and fuel injection but i got a couple questions.

What temp do you bikes usually run at? i am new to digital gauges so i dont really know whats normal. Got up to 217 in the parking lot, then down to 213. At highway speeds well under 200 degrees. (like 170? i dont remember...long day) and the previous owner has royal purple it in right now. He said it ran a couple degrees cooler with that oil? does different oil make your bike run at different temps?

do these bikes have a Valve check at 16k like the 954's? i dont have a shop manual yet so i dont know the reg maintenance. I noticed a slight ticking noise under me, but not definite enough to say its not a vibrating piece plastics or windscreen/something stupid. My initial thought was early stages of the CCT going bad but hey im an F3 guy....

And what have you guys done as far as your seat goes? i was thinking of custom fabbing a tempur pedic pillow to seat shape and upholstering it. any thoughts?

i know i had another question... but all i can remember right now. time to change the sig

oh and anyone wanna buy an F3? haha

Attached Thumbnails New to the club, couple questions-img_20101021_000229.jpg   New to the club, couple questions-img_20101021_000317.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 05:44 AM

temp is normal. Right around 218-220 is where the fan kicks on. If Im sitting for any length of time, it will climb fast. Once under way, it usually runs 170-180. I doubt the oil will make the engine run cooler. I've never heard of running royal purple though. Make sure it doesn't have any additives that could harm the wet clutch. I run amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil, but everyone has their own personal taste. If you want a little cooler, you can run engine ice. But I would just run the normal anti-freeze. Speaking of that. Since the bike is an 05, you should be considering a fluid flush anyway. Brakes, coolant, clutch... should all be changed if they haven't already been changed. Also, retighten all of the cooling hoses. These bikes tended to need that from time to time.

for a cheap fix on the seat. Buy one from an 06-07. The are the same shape, but the foam changed in 06 to a more forgiving foam. I put one on my bike and it made a huge difference, especially on longer rides. You can usually find them on ebay for 20 bucks or so. Its still not the greatest, but quite an improvement for very little money.

As for the rattling. It could be any number of things. But one thing to keep in mind is the 05 1000RR has a very noisy engine, especially once its warmed up. without hearing it, i'd say its probably just normal 1000RR noises. But the service check for valves is at 16,000 miles like you thought. Im at 20,000.... I still need to check mine As far as I know, the cct is not a problem with the 1000RR like it was with the F3. the only issue I know of is the stator. There was a recall for bikes having charging issues... but I think the recall was only for 5 years, so its probably expired.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Ya it already went through a stator. It should be good to go now though. The brake fluid is a little dark i will be changing it in the spring. Thanks for the heads up on the hoses, ill go check those now, and ill see what i can do about scrounging up an '06 seat.

If these engines are noisy then ill let it be for now and wait to hear if it changes.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:51 PM

Do you have to have the front tire in the air to preform the HESD check? cause i checked it today with the bike not lifted and didnt really notice a difference. The HESD light came on and started blinking like it should.