Need some opinions on where my $$ should go

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some opinions on where my $$ should go

Ok, let me just start of with a little background information. I had a low slide a couple months ago, tore one of my mirrors off, and caused some body work damage to the bike, and that's about it. Now, I've been driving around not really caring about the small stuff. But, I like having flashy things, attention grabbers.
So with that said, and tax refund season upon us, i have been planning the past few months to dish out and get a body kit. But here recently, like the past 48 hours or so, I've been thinking about Power Commander V. I know how this little device can be one of the most drastic improvements to a bike out there. So here is my dilemma. I've been drooling over a body kit and TBH could actually use it seeing as how mines damaged. But the thought of having a PCV sounds enticing too, if it can improve my gas mileage. Because, I only use my bike as transportation. I don't race or anything like that. (yet)

So, TL;DR, Dish out, get a body kit, to replace my damaged one. Or get a PCV Which i may not use to it's full advantage.

I'm not counting price here because, obviously the PCV is cheaper.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were me, I'd fix the body work. I don't think you'd notice much improvement for fuel economy. if fuel economy is a concern, just stay out of the throttle more. No matter what device you add, the single biggest factor in fuel economy is the way you drive. Also, unless you have some modifications in the way of intake and or exhaust, I wouldn't spend the money on a PC V. Sure, you can take a stock bike and make it run better by tuning it, but that also cost money. The maps that are downloadable really don't do what a true custom map can do. No two bikes are the same. Then there is the issue of finding someone that can actually tune it. I'm not saying they are a waste of money, they can provide a crisper throttle response, better performance and economy (when set up correctly) but its not cheap. So while your initial cost for the PC V is cheaper, to get it set up properly levels the cost between your options. If you really are concerned with economy and use your bike mainly for commuting, you can swap sprockets and probably gain a mpg or two, but you may loose a little down low grunt.

Last edited by justasquid; 01-26-2012 at 12:59 AM.