Just changed my Fork Seals

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just changed my Fork Seals

Hey guys,

I just changed my Fork Seals and i have a question.. Is it normal to have a slight ring of oil on the fork leg where it has gone down on the fork? Its not running or dripping just a small ring. I did use a little fork oil to lube the inside of the seal. I clean it off and pushed down on it and it leaves a similar ring.. I only have put 10 or so miles on it since changing them. Any input would be great.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you put some plastic (sandwich bag) or something to protect the seal when sliding it over the inner fork tube? Thats where most people damage their brand new seals by putting tiny cuts on the seal from the end of the inner tube. wipe a bit of fork oil around the seal as well before sliding it over your plastic. And to answer your question. No, it's not normal for a ring of oil to be left behind after compressing the forks. Maybe after what you have said about the oil you put under the dust seal, compress the forks, wipe oil off and it never happens again then don't worry about it. If it's happening every time then you've got problems cause that aint normal.