Soft
50.98%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

How To Break In A New Motor?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default break in period

I broke mine in in between, from low to high rpms and responds very well. Actually from 0-800 miles stayed closer to the lower rpm-not full throttling, at around 800 changed the oil and at every 2500 mile interval began to go into the higher 10k rpms and this baby sounds like a fighter jet ready to take off. That is - the mighty '08 CBR 1K

Old 03-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ride it like you stole it....

Old 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by SD2007
Honda doesn't give a rat's *** if your engine makes a few percent less power because you chose to break it in "by the book".
Exactly. Honda cares about the longevity of your engine (and transmission). If you claim that a few percent of power either way matters to the way you ride, then you are delusional. It's at least as important to pay attention to the transmission as the engine during break in.

If you bought the bike to race, and cared only about power and not longevity, then you may have a point. However, I doubt seriously that anyone on this board is doing that.

Last edited by woogie; 03-13-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Default Just have to think about what is going on

For most modern engines you'll get the same advice from the majority of guys that actually deal with these engines on a daily basis and see what is working and what isn't...

For the first 500-600 miles:
1 - Avoid long runs at a constant speed and load - in other words, vary your RPM's so you get even wear patterns to start.

2 - Avoid full throttle starts and very high RPM's that cause excessive load on the mating surfaces before any imperfections have been 'smoothed out'.

It's very possible to get a long lasting, hard running engine by doing it totally different and a given motor may suck with this process - but this is pretty much what works most of the time. Remember that we're talking about tiny little differences here so there is a lot of lattitude in what will work.

This is for normal on the street rides, race motors are a different animal. Minimum friction is the game there and it only has to last long enough to make it a few races.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by woogie
Exactly. Honda cares about the longevity of your engine (and transmission). If you claim that a few percent of power either way matters to the way you ride, then you are delusional. It's at least as important to pay attention to the transmission as the engine during break in.

If you bought the bike to race, and cared only about power and not longevity, then you may have a point. However, I doubt seriously that anyone on this board is doing that.
Yeah and how is it that a proper break-in, one that results in optimal ring seating, is going to be detrimental to longevity? I suppose cylinder glazing and blow-by are good things in your mind? Good compression and oil control are highly overrated.

By the way, I ignored Honda's break-in guidelines when I broke in my '07 1000RR. I used short bursts of FULL throttle with only a few miles on the clock (GASP!) When should I expect to see catastrophic engine and transmission failure? I suppose I'll see oil consumption first, but that's yet to happen. The transmission is rather silent and easy to shift, not sure what to expect there. Maybe someday the oil analysis from Blackstone will show abnormal wear, if it does I'll be sure to let you know...

Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 AM

Gentlemen, we are in the presence of a guy who broke in 1 bike his way and hasn't had problems and is now an expert.

Honda has only been doing this for, what, 40 years?

For the record, I don't care how you broke in your bike. Do it however you like. Just don't claim because you haven't had any problems with 1 bike that it means anything. If nothing else, your experience proves just how good Honda engineering actually is.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:57 AM

Gentlemen, we are in the presence of a guy who broke in 1 bike his way and hasn't had problems and is now an expert.

Honda has only been doing this for, what, 40 years?

For the record, I don't care how you broke in your bike. Do it however you like. Just don't claim because you haven't had any problems with 1 bike that it means anything. If nothing else, your experience proves just how good Honda engineering actually is.
What puts you in a position to assess the basis for my expertise? I've done much more than break-in 1 bike.

How do you reconcile the fact that Honda's lawyer approved break-in instructions have major inconsistencies with the recommendations of industry experts like Kevin Cameron? Do you know who he is? Have you read his book? Do you read his technical articles in Cycle World?

As long as people continue to insist engines will be damaged unless broken-in by the book, anecdotal evidence such as mine, while not conclusive proof, still means something.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by SD2007
What puts you in a position to assess the basis for my expertise? I've done much more than break-in 1 bike.

How do you reconcile the fact that Honda's lawyer approved break-in instructions have major inconsistencies with the recommendations of industry experts like Kevin Cameron? Do you know who he is? Have you read his book? Do you read his technical articles in Cycle World?

As long as people continue to insist engines will be damaged unless broken-in by the book, anecdotal evidence such as mine, while not conclusive proof, still means something.
I never once insisted that engines would be damaged if they weren't broken in by the book. I merely stated, and maintain, that the people who designed and built these great bikes know what they are doing and their recommendations should be followed.

Honda has put millions, possibly billions into developing their engine technology. They have run more tests on more engines than you, me and Kevin Cameron combined X 1000. Since all vehicle engineering is largely a function of statistics, anything you do *might* be completely fine. However, statistically speaking, you are probably better off listening to them. If you think you know more than them, then more power to you and go right ahead and do so on your bike. I just think it's a bad idea to give someone else that advice when you aren't supplying them a warranty.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 PM

I never once insisted that engines would be damaged if they weren't broken in by the book. I merely stated, and maintain, that the people who designed and built these great bikes know what they are doing and their recommendations should be followed.
Oh come on, with all this talk of longevity and warranty you're certainly implying some type of damage will occur. Regardless, there are people who insist it's got to be done by the book or else...

Honda has put millions, possibly billions into developing their engine technology. They have run more tests on more engines than you, me and Kevin Cameron combined X 1000. Since all vehicle engineering is largely a function of statistics, anything you do *might* be completely fine. However, statistically speaking, you are probably better off listening to them. If you think you know more than them, then more power to you and go right ahead and do so on your bike. I just think it's a bad idea to give someone else that advice when you aren't supplying them a warranty.
Except for your comment about "all vehicle engineering being largely a function of statistics" (whatever that's supposed to mean) I agree with you. Honda knows more about their engines than the rest of the world, but that doesn't mean their instructions to owners will be written without regard for their interests. That's what you need to realize. Honda is in the business to make money and everything they do serves their needs, not ours. The recommended procedure for an optimal break-in would be seen as dangerous, irresponsible and illegal. Why would Honda take on that kind of liability when their engines will have a satisfactory break-in with the take it easy method?

Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 AM

I think you just made my point. The recommended break-in is satisfactory. Running WOT by a new rider on a liter bike is not only illegal (if WOT exists for more than a very short time), but also dangerous. The benefit for the standard street rider for the "hard" break in is non-existent, and I doubt any performance gain is to be had for anyone else, either. All in all, just not very smart to take a brand new bike and run to the redline (read 100+ mph)? Take it easy, get used to the bike. You aren't hurting it by following the book.

With regard to the statistics, allow me to explain. Although all engine parts are held to very high tolerances, some variation does exist. Honda does a very good job at managing all of the possible combinations of those variations, but on occasion, a bike that is a little tighter than normal will get made. Statistically, it's a very small % of bikes - it is a Honda, after all - but those bikes do exist. THOSE are the bikes that the recommendations are written for. Sure, the lawyers are in on it. Imagine what would happen if a guy jumped on his brand new race bike and ripped to to the redline and the engine siezed at 100MPH. They are protecting themselves, but it also protects YOU.

Personally, I found some info by a guy at Rogue Racing (http://rogueracing.org/breakin.htm) that gave me some structure to follow for break-in that made sense to me, and is also within Honda's guidelines.

Last edited by woogie; 03-15-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Quick Reply: How To Break In A New Motor?????