Frame Straightening is this SAFE ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Frame Straightening is this SAFE ?

Hi,

is frame straightening worth bothering with, and worth saving money by not buying a new frame ? If you hit something at 25 mph the front wheel first, there's a good chance the frame might be bent out of shape.

Besides I have a feeling that the rear wheel is riding more on one side of the tire than it is on the other. I see that, but comparing the tire wearing on both sides. Could be the same with the front wheel, but I'm not 100 % sure of this.

I'll definitely have it checked with a precise measuring equipment, but I'd like to know if the actual frame straightening is fully SAFE procedure for the rider and for the bike . I'd like to hear you opinions and experiences on this before I decide on what to do further on.

Thank you so much for your replies.

Last edited by philnyc; 04-09-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 PM

i wouldnt do it. not only do you have to worry about it being "true" but i believe the structural integrity is compromised. they really are not made to be straightned but rather replaced.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 PM

Not true, unless the frame is highly damaged. Your current stock frame may be off by a bit and they can and have been straightened with out issue. The aluminum frames are quite ductile and respond well. try here..
Frame doc

Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 AM

Aluminium is ductile, but once it's been yielded, it's very susceptible to fatigue cracking. I wouldn't touch a straightened one with a 10 foot pole.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:18 PM

A 25 mile an hour crash really isnt that bad. Other things will fail and absorb the impact before the frame gets damage to it. It takes quite a bit to damage a frame so it is out of spec from impact on the suspension. A direct hit to the frame itself is worse for the frame.

Having said that, I wouldnt straighten one out either. If it was a track bike and I had the means to do it, I would do then, but Im not sure I would for a street bike. Of course, this all depends on just how bad the frame is. If its only out of spec by a mm or so, it would probably be ok. Just remember, what ever it is out, the frame is tweaked back the other way beyond it being in spec, then it flexes back into place. It also depends on where the frame is bent. Some areas I wouldnt even consider touching. If there is a weld in the area, no way would I try to straighten it out then. The last thing you want is the material around the weld to flex and the weld not, creating a weak point.

As for your odd tire wear, you say your rear wheel is riding to one side of the tire. Next time your riding your bike or following someone. take a close look at their body position and how the bike is. Its not straight up and down to the roads surface. Most roads are crowned to some degree and the bikes tire is at a slight angle on the road. The bike is rarely straight up and down to the roads surface. If you are inspecting your tires, you may pick up on this. That may be all your seeing.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:37 AM

Thank you so much for your advice and extensive replay to my question. I am taking the bike to the Honda dealer to have the frame checked with laser instruments against the factory specification on Monday. I have to have that peace of mind that everything is true and they way Honda meant it to be. Very interesting point about the rear tire. I think I maybe looking to close and finding things that where there b4 the fender bender.
Thanx again !

Old 04-25-2009, 09:29 PM

A guy at a local shop had to take a mad customer out into the road, throw down a 2x4 with a level on top of it and show him how much he had to raise one end to make it level. The guy thought he installed his tires wrong somehow and was complaining the left side was wearing out....... lol...... just the crowned roads around here.....lol

Old 04-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NEW bike frames are not 1000% ... not unless you have it cmd certified rim starightening, rotor and frame... all safe if the person knows what they are doing