Decreasing Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, now im thinking about extending it 4-6 in soo i dont do anymore accidental wheelies, they are pretty scary at my experience level

Old 06-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Sell the bike. Get a cruiser. I'm sorry but the idea of extending the swingarm to stop "accidental wheelies" pushed this past the notion that you may develop riding skills soon enough to preserve your life.
Place an add to sell it asap. Walk away from the CBR...

Old 06-12-2010, 08:32 AM

thats what my buddy who has a stretched busa told me to do

Old 06-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Egg1456
No offense but that is the squidliest suggestion I've heard.

Modifying the bike because you can't control your wrist means you're one the wrong bike, period. Stretching a bike for dragging, fine. For looks, well its your bike. Sell the liter and get a 600 if that's a serious consideration.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:47 AM

The more I read this post, The more I wonder if this guy is for real or not. Next thing, his buddy is going to suggest to just pull a couple of spark plugs for awhile. Or hey, put a wheelie bar on the back, stuff the airbox full of corn so it doesnt have any airflow, put 100lbs wheel weights on the front to keep it down.... convert it to a shaft drive so it just does burnouts, run your tire pressure at 50 psi so the tires just spin....Im not serious of course.

An extended swing arm will get you a few things. One, it will allow more power to be put down before it wheelies, but not as much as you might think. the bike will still wheelie when you apply too much throttle. two, your bike will handle like crap in the corners. It will turn in much slower, your side force on the tire is out 4-6 more inches from the pivot point and the suspension will not work like its suppose to once the bike is leaned over.. Great for straightline racing... sucks for everything else.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick, but you really need to sell that bike if your that concerned about the power. Its one thing to be conscious of the power and respecting it, its a completely different story to be terrified of it. If it were me, I wouldn't want to ride a bike I was scared of. I don't understand how you could even enjoy riding it if your so worried all the time.

and if thats not bad enough, your already on the hardest to wheelie liter bike out there. Honda did a very good job of getting the power to the ground for a liter bike. Its considered one of the most docile liter bikes made for those years.

seriously, sell the bike or trade it off for a 600. there are people constantly looking to move up to a 1000 from a 600.... theres gotta be a deal out there. But even then, a 600 is still going be too much bike if you can't control the throttle. Accidental wheelies are not uncommon with 600's either. I think Thrasher is on the right track... walk away from the sportbike side of motorcycles.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:10 PM

They make turbo's for those 1000's right?

Old 06-12-2010, 12:42 PM

Your "friend" is giving you bad advice. Eventually self preservation has to enter the picture...you need to sell the bike to save your life. You have admitted that you lack the skill to handle such a powerful machine...congradulations. Now you need to take the next step and stop second guessing yourself. Sell the bike or educate yourself on how to operate the machine safely.
You claim to have taken a motorcycle basic skills course. Go back and talk to your instructors about your concerns about throttle control. Correct positioning of your wrist may improve control. This is a skill that you should have mastered on your course.
Good luck.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:55 PM

LOL I love friends like this. One dude I ride with INSISTS that I lower and stretch my 954, until I showed him what I could do in the twisties compared to his long a$$ bike.
But on a serious note, having said
yea, now im thinking about extending it 4-6 in soo i dont do anymore accidental wheelies, they are pretty scary at my experience level
and
I say, learn to ride it AS IT IS, at a slow pace and learn to control the throttle, OR sell it and get a 600, or trade it for someone looking to upgrade that has a WELL taken care of 600cc bike with some mods. and maybe some $$ too. then later on if you want upgrade.

Last edited by bubba_finch07; 06-12-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:30 PM

Im not going to sell the bike, im just going to take it slow and practice and maybe take a sportbike riding course. I think wrist position had something to do with the wheelie looking back should have started out with it flat. Im not that worried about the power to where im afraid of it when im on it, i just thought it would be helpful to have a little less power for a while while im learning the characteristics of the bike.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:11 PM

Take the MSF class - you're learn a lot of good things.

Like the "wrist down" position on the throttle. Then you have to make more of an effort to twist it.

Quick Reply: Decreasing Power