Decreasing Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decreasing Power

Hi I am a new rider, i have ridden dirt bikes and i have an 07 CBR1000RR my first bike. This is only the second street bike i have ridden the other being an 08 gsxr1000 and honestly my bike scares the **** out of me. I was looking for a 600 but i got a great deal on the 1000 soo thats what i ended up with. Anyway my question is there a way to lower hp or decrease acceleration such as detuning or different sized throttle reels. Thanks

Old 06-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The replies won't get much prettier. If you got such a great deal, you should be able to flip it and get enough for a 600 + cash left over for mods.

If you're stuck with it, you might just have to learn to ride it. If so, remember this: Just cause the throttle can be cracked wide open, it doesn't mean you have to. It'll come down to your ability to control the throttle.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 AM

well im fine with that ive been taking it easy i just dont want to accidentally do something give it too much throttle and kill myself. Im a big guy 6'2 230 i have an 11 sec car but when i got on my bike and opened it up a bit and it was scary knowing what it could do.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said about not twisting the throttle all the way.

If you want it to have less acceleration you could change the gearing. Increasing the front sprocket size and/or decreasing the rear sprocket will result in slower takeoffs. Most riders change their gearing the opposite way for quicker starts while sacrificing some top end speed.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:26 AM

yea i had been thinking about changing out the sprockets. Id be happy with putting a throttle stop at 1/2 throttle for now.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Egg1456
well im fine with that ive been taking it easy i just dont want to accidentally do something give it too much throttle and kill myself. Im a big guy 6'2 230 i have an 11 sec car but when i got on my bike and opened it up a bit and it was scary knowing what it could do.
Practice, practice, practice... And then practice some more. The only way you'll "accidently... give it too much throttle" is by not knowing the throttle and how it responds. Practice will eliminate that.

You're in for a long, tough road. You've got your fear of the bike to overcome while trying to gain knowledge of the bike at the same time. Your learning pace will be at a crawl. Because that's what you have to do before you start walking, let alone running.

Find a huge empty parking lot and practice going back and forth. Learn how the bike reacts to throttle positions, how quickly it lunges forward. How hard it engine brakes. Maybe think up some games, like trying to go from 0 to exactly 10 mph and hold it in a certain distance. Then 0 - 20, ect. Trying to accelerate to a specific speed in a specific amount of space will get you used how quickly the bike moves and at different throttle positions.

Also work on your slow speed maneuvering. And stopping. It'll teach you to control the throttle, getting more done with less gas. You'll need a delicate touch and good throttle control to do right angle turns, weaves, swerves, tightening circles and figure 8s. Anyone can hop on a bike and go really fast, really straight. But short of slamming into another object, straight line crashes aren't what destroys bikes & lives. Turns and stops are where single bike accidents take place the most.

And to be blunt: you are not ready to take that bike on the street for any legnth of serious time. Fear will cause you to freeze, target fixate and any number of things that will wreck you.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 AM

yea ive head the msf brc but i used a honda nighthawk for that not even in the same relm i got 100% soo i can do the small stuff. it will be months b4 i can ride again tho since i broke 4 of the 5 long toe bones in my foot i guess i have some time to build up some courage.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:18 AM

great advice from kuro.
Jeff also had a great idea with the sprockets. you could simple increase the front sprocket by one tooth and it will slow the low end power down considerably. Go 2 up in the front and it will be a flat out dog down low. Im pretty sure you can go 2 teeth and not have to change your chains length at all. If you go this route, I'd suggest getting a speedo healer though. You will be traveling at a faster rate of speed than what your speedometer says.

If your determined to keep it, try keeping the rpms down, as in riding around in a gear that allows the engine to lug down a bit. If your engine is not in the power, it will be really hard to do anything too foolish in regards to power. If you keep the rpms under 4500, you should be ok. Shift sooner than you normally would and just stay out of the power. Of course, the down side to this approach is you may get use to putting too much throttle down, then when your rpms are higher, you may get a suprise of power you weren't expecting.

But honestly, its all throttle control. If you feel your going to get into trouble with a 1000, I wouldn't suggest a 600 either. They are just as bad once they are in thier power. The key to either one is stay out of the power. Understandably, the 1000's make a ton more power lower in the rpms, but it is all still up to the rider twisting the throttle.

Again, I think I would sell it. You may not ever get use the power and constantly fear the bike, which is a terrible thing on a bike. Or, post an add on craigslist to trade it. Im sure there is someone out there looking to move up to a 1000 that has a 600. Since most often the liter bikes hold their value better, you should be able to get a really nice 600 as a trade, maybe even some cash in the mix.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-08-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Not going to flame, but gee-zuz 1000cc as a first bike. Listen, the biggest thing is to ride within your limets. Don't let the peer presure get to you when your buddies take off. A 600cc bike now a days has the same HP that a 1000cc bike had five or ten years ago. The current 1000cc bikes are almost running like the MOTO-GP bikes about 7 or 8 years ago. If you make a mistake on a 600 it will let you know in a manner that is correctable. A 1000cc bike will just fling you off or slam you *** on the ground. That is her way of saying you did something wrong.

I would put the bike up on E-bay as a selling for price of what you paid for it, then look for a 600.

As a new ride let me give you some advice.

There are two types of riders.
1) Those that have been down.
2) Those that are going down.

I would much rather take my chances with a 600cc get off then a 1000cc get off.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:22 PM

First thing first, RESPECT the power any bike has as it can and will kill you if you don't. I have a buddy of mine that got a Busa for his first bike and for the life of me i can't understand y any one would get that tank. But like i told him go slooooooow and learn the bike it will take a good deal of time, to this day he thanks me for that little info. I have been riding for years and i have learned that a bike will teach you something new every time you ride. I lost a cousin on a zx-10, not saying its the bike its the rider. Some fear is always good but if you r that afraid of it get rid of it. Always ride with what you have to lose in mind, i.e family. If not my prayers goes out to your friends and family, not trying to scare you at all but here we had three people, a couple (ALWAYS wear a Helmet), and a solo rider lose there life in one 24 hr period, in two seperate accedents. don't wanna read about you. STAY UP, RESPECT THE POWER, AND RIDE WITH IN YOUR LIMITS.

Last edited by 210Ryder; 06-08-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Decreasing Power