Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problem

At the end of last year I changed the brake fluid (In lines and reservoir) and the clutch fluid in the reservoir only. Only in the reservoir not in the whole line because I was afraid of screwing up my clutch. I did pull in clutch slowly while reservoir cap was off and the pull of the clutch lever became so much lighter but I didn't have any issues at all the last couple of rides last year.

Roll forward to this past weekend. I started my bike up when I went up to my house in NY (Still trying to sell). Had it run while I pumped up the tire pressures to normal. When I went to put it in gear to pull it into my shed it jerked forward and stalled. Luckily I had my brake on or I am sure I would be writing about dumping my bike instead (Or going through my shed). Double checked that the sidestand was up (It was up). Glad I wasn't planning on bringing it to PA yet.

Went to start it with the clutch in and the bike tried to jump forward with every crank. Swore like a bass turd and rolled it up the hill into my shed swearing all the way.[]

Tried to pump up my clutch but it is just too easy of a pull and it didn't get better. Twist tied my clutch leverto the handle bars over night with no luck. Left it twist tied but am wondering how I will get my bike to work enough to limp it to a stealer. I will be going up to NY this weekend again because I have to get my golf clubs since I found out on my way home I need them for the work league starting tomorrow. My boss should have told me on Friday before I left about my golf clubs.

What happened and what can I do to fix (And not do) this problem again? I need to get this fixed in one weekend asmy 2004 CBR1000rr is 225 miles away from where I live now. I have to havethe clutchwork enough to limp it to a dealer to have it bled properly so I can ride it home (PA). Or it has to work enough to get it to a ramp across town to put it in my truck (Honda Ridgeline).

Funny enough I have a brake vacumn pump but it didn't work for crap. Bleeding my brake lines worked better the old fashion way and left the lever twist tied to the clip on overnight to get maximum brake action. Is it done the same way to bleed your clutch lines? Or is there some other magic I need to learn to bleed a clutch line? Thanks I hope.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Default RE: Clutch Problem

I'm guessing that there's air in the line somewhere. If you're going to change the fluid, you have to flush it all, not just do the reservoir. Try bleeding the clutch system yourself, you'd be amazed of the satisfaction of not going to the stealer!
If you'd like, I can email you those pages from the shop manual in PDF format, from the PDF manual itself.
I'm also guessing that you used the DOT 4 fluid? Should be the same as the brake fluid if I remember correctly.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 PM

Air or small leak. I would lean towards air. Have someone help bleed it the old fashion way. Did it lose any fluid???

Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 PM

I changes the front lines and clutch lines this winter as well. I'd bet money as with the other posts problem is AIR in the lines. Not pickin' but as stated go slow and also try gently tapping on line with a wrench to "work" bubbles toward the top.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 PM

Thx Mucho!!!!!! I had the same probelm found the solution on this forum and now I am on the road. I thought I woud be down for the day but now my wings are flying. You guys ROCK.

It took me 2 minutes to flush the air out. You do it the same way as bleeding brakes.