chain lubrication question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: chain lubrication question

ORIGINAL: tomc1965

SD2007

How often do you lube your chain with WD40? What type of weather do you ride in?
I give the chaina wipedown with a WD-40 moistened rag about every three trips to work - approx 125 miles. I ride in dry weather only, in temperatures from 40 to 90 degrees. On the very rare occasion Itake a long trip,I use a real chain lube.

As far as WD-40 removing grease from behind the O-rings, I'd like to know where this originated and under what circumstances it happened. WD-40 seems to be almost universally accepted as a chain cleaner, so I'm not sure what the story is. If WD-40 removes grease from behind the O-rings, I don't think my chain would have gone 20,000 miles with such little wear.

I wasn't able to find anything about motorcycle chains on the WD-40 web site. For bicycle chains they say it cleans and lubricates, for whatever that's worth. I use a chain lube on my bicycle sincethat's the only thing that lubricates the link pins.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ NO NO NO NO!! WD-40 is a solvent and eats way at the o-rings! (it ruined my chain and I hate to recently replace it.)

I would get some Simple Green. You can use it on anything, and is a must for any garage/shop. Plus it's safe for the environment and is non-toxic.

Just take a tire scrubber, spray Simple Green onto the chain and scrub off all the grime. Rinse off the chain really good and take the bike for a short ride to warm up the chain. When you get back, spray on some high-quality chain wax or apply gear oil. I personally use Chain-wax. (Belray I believe). Great stuff, doesn't fling off and the chain stays relatively clean.

Make sure you clean and wax your chain every 500 miles if you ride it a lot, or every couple of weeks if you ride on occasion. If a chain fails on you, it's not a fun thing. So it's best to keep this extremely well maintained. You can always tell if someone takes care of their bike or not. If their chain is completely black, covered in a thick layer of grime......you know the rest of the bike has been neglected as well.

Oh, and remember.........

NEVER USE WD-40! No offense to anyone who suggested it, I use to use it before it ruined my chain, now I know, and now you know.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:47 PM

What brand of chain did the WD-40 destroy? I want to understand and replicate the circumstances of these WD-40 horror stories.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:37 PM

I had a scottoiler fitted.
I never have to clean or lube the chain, I just keep the scottoiler topped up with oil.
And I have ridden the bike for 4000 miles without any chain adjustment, and its still fine and doesnt need any.
It keeps the chain in very good condition and really prolongs the life of it, and save a lot of time and hassle for mecleaning and lubing the chain.