chain lubrication question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: chain lubrication question

ORIGINAL: baxsom

ORIGINAL: SD2007

WD-40 didn't hurt my o-rings, and I used it exclusively for 9 years and 20,000 miles. Unless I'm taking a long ride, I won't use anything else...

its not going to hurt the 0 rings. its going to remove every bit of grease around the O rings. its like using spit instead of KY, yeah its gonna work but theres still friction there

Friction is good in that department

Old 11-16-2007, 11:44 PM

What bothers me about chains gooped in oil is their ability to pick up road grit and form what is essentially a lapping compound. A "dry" chain lasts a long time and doesn't make a mess out of my bike. I like that.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 AM

crisco is the way to go guys... its cheap, easy to apply, doesnt harm the environment, and theres only 120 calories per serving

Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 AM

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is only 90 calories per serving, and your chain will attract chicks like Fabio.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:21 PM

Baxsomyou are correct wd40 is a degreser I can be used to clean the chain which should be done perrodically instead of constantly lubing the chain. Lube is lube use whats good for you, everyone has said their reviews about lubing the chain but no one has stressed the fact that you must ride the bike right before lubing the chain to get it hot or else it wont stick. Stuff is eventually going to fly off cuz the rotation of the chain is just that fast. Im a little **** just ride, lube and let it sit for bout 15min and youll be good. Trick wd40 takes any greese off the wheels after you wash your bike.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:28 PM

I believe the WD in WD40 stands for "Water Displacement" but I don't recall. Someone I work with told me that. It will eat through rubber over time, so careful using it on things that are rubber, vinyl or etc..

Here in KY WD-40 and Duct Tape pretty much do everything. I use WD alot to clean things, but usualy stick with a lube or oil to lubricate. That my .02. My last bike, I don't think i lubed the chain once for about 10k miles, and it didn't have a stiff spot in it. Rode like a champ. I was stupid and didn't know how to maintain the machine. But thats neither here nor there I guess.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Lamp Oil > Simple Green. I firsted used Simple Green and it was still taking forever to get all the black off. I digged around looking for some kerosene and found some Lamp Oil. I put the lamp oil in an empty spray bottle and OMG, the dirt started flying off the instant the Oil hit the chain. It was like 2 magnets repeling each other.

Does everyone lube the entire chain or just lubes the rollers? I just lube the rollers.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:51 PM

Yes the WD stands for water displacement. People seem to think WD-40 is a degreaser, but in reality it's a penetrating oil. Just because company XYZ uses it as a degreaser doesn't reclassify it as such.UsingWD-40 only, my chain was able to runfor 20,000 mileswith almost no stretch. Who else has run a chain for 20,000 miles withalmost no stretch or wear? I've yet to see WD-40 eat through any rubber material. The O-rings onmy 9 year old chain are fine, showing no signs of damage from solvent or chemical attacks.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 AM

SD2007

How often do you lube your chain with WD40? What type of weather do you ride in?

I found that on hinges and other things around the house I had to eventually give up on using WD40 because it didn't last as long as Silicone,tri-flow, or White lithium grease. I use my WD40 for removing theadhesive left from removing tape and stickers from glass and other surfaces. It works really well at that job. For a penetrating lube I would use PB Blaster. Right on the WD40 website it lists it is good to clean the chain but not for lubricating purposes.

So for me I will stick with a lube specifically made for O-ring chains. Would not want to risk having the chain blow apart at 90+ on the highway or track. Even if it has never happened to you doesn't mean it could never happen. For me if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have an luck at all.

By the way a popular web site that does reviews of helmets and gear and stuff (Web bike world I think) also said that they heard that WD40removes the grease behind the O-rings on motorcyclechains and would not recommend it for use as a chain lube.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 PM

Build an air tight housing that goes around the chain and fill it with gear oil. Thats what old time bikes did and their chains lasted for 40k miles.

Quick Reply: chain lubrication question