chain lubrication question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: chain lubrication question

i use simple green and a tooth brush and pj blue label or repsol oil myself. i have also tried using 90w gear oil and an eye dropper but that took forever and flung everywhere. but mainly i wanted to remind everyone please make sure the engine is off and in neutral. lets not lose a finger here

Old 11-14-2007, 10:02 PM

WD-40 didn't hurt my o-rings, and I used it exclusively for 9 years and 20,000 miles. Unless I'm taking a long ride, I won't use anything else...

Old 11-14-2007, 11:49 PM

This is a very interesting topic. I lube my chain quite often. I have used quite a few different lubes. So, I will add my 2 cents: Maxima Chain wax works pretty good. No fling after it dries or sets up. But, it tends to make the chain heavy. Builds up pretty fast. The PJ1 lube made a damn mess! Gets on anythin and everything! Very tacky and hard to clean off. I'm sure it does it's job though. BelRay worked pretty good.No complaints. WD-40 made a mess. I use it if I absolutly have to. Collects dirt and stuff. The current lube I use now, Silkolene Chain lube.Coatsthe chainnicelyand flings the least out of any other lube I have used. If you know of a better one I'd like to give it a try

Old 11-15-2007, 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: SD2007

WD-40 didn't hurt my o-rings, and I used it exclusively for 9 years and 20,000 miles. Unless I'm taking a long ride, I won't use anything else...

its not going to hurt the 0 rings. its going to remove every bit of grease around the O rings. its like using spit instead of KY, yeah its gonna work but theres still friction there

Old 11-15-2007, 05:28 PM

[/quote]

its like using spit instead of KY, yeah its gonna work but theres still friction there

[/quote]

Ha! I love it! putting it into terms that most of us can understand

Old 11-15-2007, 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

its not going to hurt the 0 rings. its going to remove every bit of grease around the O rings. its like using spit instead of KY, yeah its gonna work but theres still friction there
Remove every bit of grease? Who told you that? My chainwent 20,000 miles without stretching or loosing a singleo-ring. That doesn't happen unless there's greasebehind the o-rings. My sprockets looked good too. So where's all this horrible friction taking place? Why didn't my o-rings melt and sling grease all over the place?

Old 11-16-2007, 06:27 AM

ORIGINAL: SD2007

Remove every bit of grease? Who told you that? My chainwent 20,000 miles without stretching or loosing a singleo-ring. That doesn't happen unless there's greasebehind the o-rings. My sprockets looked good too. So where's all this horrible friction taking place? Why didn't my o-rings melt and sling grease all over the place?
without stretching?? i am calling BS on that one. AND there is supposed to be grease behind the O ring. that is what the O ring does. retain grease to reduce friction. it is a proven fact that WD40 is used as a degreaser in the aircraft industry. plus i have seen with my own two eyes, bearings lubricated with wd40 constantly that were packed in grease before they were installed start to squeal. when they were removed there was no grease whatsoever. not a trace of it.

so either you got a super adamantium miracle chain or you just got lucky.

WD40 is an endless debate. some people swear by it. others say it destroyed their chain.
bottom line use what works for you. i use products specifically made for my chain that isnt as thin as water and dries up (try it WD40 dries when heated) you can use what you want

Old 11-16-2007, 07:56 PM

without stretching?? i am calling BS on that one. AND there is supposed to be grease behind the O ring. that is what the O ring does. retain grease to reduce friction. it is a proven fact that WD40 is used as a degreaser in the aircraft industry. plus i have seen with my own two eyes, bearings lubricated with wd40 constantly that were packed in grease before they were installed start to squeal. when they were removed there was no grease whatsoever. not a trace of it.

so either you got a super adamantium miracle chain or you just got lucky.

WD40 is an endless debate. some people swear by it. others say it destroyed their chain.
bottom line use what works for you. i use products specifically made for my chain that isnt as thin as water and dries up (try it WD40 dries when heated) you can use what you want
There's supposed to be grease behind the O-rings? Really? Maybe that's why I saida chain won't go20,000 miles "unless there's greasebehind the O-rings." I'm not sure how relevant your bearing anecdote is, they're not sealed the same way as O-ring chains and I doubt the WD-40 was applied the same way I apply it to chains.

49 links of my old chain (stretched tightly with a car jack) measured 30 and 11/16of an inch. That comes out to 318.15 mm for 20 links. The service manual listsa new chain at 317.5 to 318.2 mm with a service limit of 323 mm. That's not BS. It's not luck either, not for 9 straight years. After the initial break-in stretch, chain adjustments were very infrequent andin very small increments.

I'll tell you what isBS... The idea that WD-40 dries when heated. I know this becauseI put WD-40, Tri-Flow, and three types of bicycle chain lube on a plate and cookedthe samples with a heat gun. The solvent in the WD-40 evaporatedand left behind afilm of oil that did not dry up, even after sitting for days.

I've heardseveral people rave about WD-40, but none that said it destroyed their chain.I think the key to success is the frequency and application method. I've only got 2000 miles on my '07 1000RR, but so far the chain is following the same pattern as my '98 ZX-9R. If my chain does show signs of trouble, I'll be sure let everyone know.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:24 PM

I have seen WD-40 evaparate. Not to argue with anyone or anything, but I use it on my dirt machines after I wash them. I spray it on the pipes to keepthem from rusting. Once I start the bike and run it for a short time the WD vanishes.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: motoxxx43

I have seen WD-40 evaparate. Not to argue with anyone or anything, but I use it on my dirt machines after I wash them. I spray it on the pipes to keepthem from rusting. Once I start the bike and run it for a short time the WD vanishes.
my point exactly. i use wd40 to clean my titanium pipes. they dont get as hot as my chain does and after a ride they are dry to the touch.

and just for gits and shiggles i cleaned my chain with kerosene today to get rid of all the grease and sprayed it with WD40

20 mile ride later the chain was completely dry to the touch
i then sprayed it with repsol lube and did the same 20 mile ride.
chain was still lubed afterwards. take it for what its worth. me perosnally i want a lubricant that actually stays wet enough to lubricate.

Quick Reply: chain lubrication question