attention honda owners/buyers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default attention honda owners/buyers

I purchased a 2008 cbr 1000rr in november of last year, I have enjoyed riding this bike on the road and track. However one morning at a track day tech inspection the inspector told me i needed new brakes( bike has approx 2k miles) replaced brakes with after market hh pads when i installed new pads noticed front wheel would drag getting progressively worse as ridden tried re installing stock pads to the same out come called honda dealer they said possible build up in caliper causing pistons to not realease tried cleaning to no avail took bike to shop to find he did not know what was causing problem but still thought that it was calipers not releasing he called his sources that said it was not the calipers but it was the fact that the bike (2008 cbr 1000rr)had been taken to the track that the brakes would become sticky and the only fik was to replace the rotors and brake pads that would not be covered under warranty due to the fact that it had been taken to the track he noted that they had been having this problem before (hard to believe that honda wont warranty their top of the line race bike when put on the track especially when they advertise it for track use)

please note that the front wheel would nearly lock up and i believe that it could easily cause you to crash. please check your bike to make sure front wheel spins freely if not you may need to buy new rotors and pads to make sure your bike runs safley i would also check with your dealer to see if this is happening with your model.

Honda appears to be yet another company that has put $ before the quality of their product

good luck and hopefully you dont have same problems

Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM

i have several point to make about your post.

1. any motor vehicle that you buy retail will almost always void your warranty if you use it for "race purposes". you and i know it is lame but that is pretty darn common, whether it has two wheels or four.

2. i dont think that i would say honda has put money bofore quality as they are know for quality in the industry.

i understand that you are frustrated but i think the error came when you told honda that you use the bike for track racing. it may suck that you have to buy new rotors but look at it as an opportunity to get some spankin new gear.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 PM

not real sure that someone first post should be that of negative comments about the product that people here buy, ride and enjoy.

it may tend to leave a bad taste in peoples mouth.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Banned

If you take <product> and go to the track, things are gonna break. Nascar..'cars', I think, have voided there warranty, even if they are sponsored by <manufacturer>. I think if you take your ....race replica...to the track, and race it, and something goes funny, do you really really think that <manufacturer> is going to support you warranty wise, unless your sponsored by <manufacturer>? Thats why they have sponsored races, for R&D purposes.

Think, if the RR meant race ready..would it be street legal? Or affordable to the general public? Or not come with tire warmers? Or have the repair manual?

race replica, because general public sees famous dude riding bike, getting chicks, and making money...sure beats you working at IHOP, for 4 buck an hour. ( whatever..Im making a point..I don't know what you do) you want that, then company markets that, with lawyers telling them they need mirrors and lights and reflectors, and a lockable gas tank..blah blah..and stickers..warning stickers..

However...bringing to everyones attention that something may be faulty/damaged due to extreme use, is good on ya.

Wow, not smoking a J before posting..ever again.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:20 PM

There are a few after-market HH pads that can destroy the rotors, irrespective of taking it to the track (though that will speed it up). Generally, switching pad types also means you need to really clean the rotors or you'll have residue.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 PM

wow i am amazed that the possibility of the front wheel locking up for any reason (much less a average track day rider that would rather ride track than road) would not be of more concern but i guess i have told my story and the rest is up to you carbon fiber rims are still taking heat for failing "at the track"but potential front wheel lock up is the stupidity of rider