Attention All '06 1000RR Owners - Your Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention All '06 1000RR Owners - Your Help Please

Hi,

I very reluctantly started researching the Honda CBR1000RR after deciding that I did not want to wait for the new Hayabusa, and to be clear the only reason I was/am interested in the Hayabusa is because I saw how well it can be tweaked into a touring bike even including two-up touring and because I love the effortless of a lot of low end torque. So in effect it is two bikes in one. (I am still awaiting the Concours14 which as some of you may know will have the 1350cc engine with a shaft drive and even more low end torque).

I had just about talked myself intothe Honda which has the same retail as the ZX-14 and has 350cc less when I came across the following REVIEW: It seems (from the review) that everything posters have admired about the bike are now gone...Please read on and comment: Thank you in advance for your time and attention in this matter. (This is the link to the review on motorcycle.com:
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda...RR/index.motml

I VERY MUCH WOULD APPRECIATE OWNER OF THE '06CBR1000RR TO READ AND COMMENT. THANKS AGAIN

By Sean Alexander, February 2006
The 2005 CBR 1000RR was rock solid: Extremely stable if a tad slow-steering, which helped it inspire a lot of confidence in its erstwhile pilots. Indeed, all of our testers, short of expert-level racers, went faster because of that extra confidence. However, with our pro-level tester the CBR fell behind its rivals in outright speed. It was slower on acceleration and heavier to turn, meaning, in short, the Honda got beat where getting beat counts: on the racetrack and in magazine shootouts. Yes, it can be argued it was a better everyman's bike, but losing anything sits poorly at Honda, and the fix was in: make the 2006 more flickable, harder accelerating and able to carve a tighter line.

They accomplished this; I would even go so far as to say that they exceeded the target. But herein is my problem: I just don't agree with how they got there; the ends don't, as we all say, justify the means. This bike no longer shines in the confidence department. True, it's more fun at the limit, but that reassuring CBR "feel" of being easier to ride and more stable than its competition was the first casualty of the new ride; it's just not there.

And I've avoided inking this story, today and every day for the past five weeks: I like Hondas, respect their engineering heritage, love their take-no-prisoners racing history (both two- and four-wheel I might add) and would say Sochiro Honda is one of my top five most-revered motorsport icons. Complicating this, I especially like the people I interact with at American Honda, and while I'm adept at being MO's problem-solver, I disdain being its problem creator. Yet, here I am, dissing my second-favorite (behind Ferrari) marque, and doing so six weeks late, at that. {Sigh} Well, then, nothing left now but to partake of the nitty gritty of what I liked and didn't, read on and feel free to disagree, *****.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Default RE: Attention All '06 1000RR Owners - Your Help Please

its 1 opinion....

Old 05-13-2007, 05:13 AM

Well, if you're concerned about "confidence inspiring" cornering such as in the review, then you shouldn't be looking into a busa or the 14. The 14 and busa sure as hell aren't made to handle extremely sharply. The busa and 14 are heavy and long. Not exactly "corner inspiring".

Old 05-13-2007, 05:45 AM

I am fully aware that the Busa is not for carving up Topanga Canyon (I would be looking at a 2007 CBR600RR if that were the case), nor was or am I contemplating the ZX-14, I only mentioned it for it seems for the same amount of dollars they are offering alot more engine and that is why I mentioned the additional 350 cc size...I was referring to this part of the review..."being easier to ride and more stable than its competition" That was attractive to me in all of the postings I read and now the reviewer claims that very quality is gone...so I am asking present day '06 owners if they agree...Thanks!

Old 05-13-2007, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: christopherf
I am fully aware that the Busa is not for carving up Topanga Canyon (I would be looking at a 2007 CBR600RR if that were the case), nor was or am I contemplating the ZX-14, I only mentioned it for it seems for the same amount of dollars they are offering alot more engine and that is why I mentioned the additional 350 cc size...I was referring to this part of the review..."being easier to ride and more stable than its competition" That was attractive to me in all of the postings I read and now the reviewer claims that very quality is gone...so I am asking present day '06 owners if they agree...Thanks!
Wow. You are all over the place. There is no focus to your decision of picking out a bike. First, you want to tour. Then you want to have a bike to make race track corners. Which one is it? The Haya and Zx are not on the same grade as 1kRR. Two different categories.

Also; Busa does not need to be tuned for touring, it is already a sports/touring bike. The CBR line is not intended for touring, its a super sport bike that was meant for street/track (yes, people still tour but its not the purpose of 1k). As for the article,you should read the part where the author said that the CBR fell behind during the PRO RACER test. That means that he was not the pilot of the bike. Hence, the article is an OPINION from 2nd person's view. He can not judge the bike from personal experience, he is judging it by the riders performance.

As for quality, that is your opinion and not the authors'. He said lack of confidence, which is a feeling not a trait quality.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:09 PM

I am not a Pro Race (nor will I ever be) but in my opinion, I have yet to find a flaw with my 06 1000RR. This bike installs more confidence in me than any other bike I have owned (my previous being a 900RR) It has been the best purchase I have ever made. Of course, I have no desire to ride 8 hour days on the bike going constant speeds.

-If you want power and handeling (carving through curves) get a 1000RR

-If you want flat out, straight line speeds, get a Busa

-If you want a touring bike, get a Goldwing.

Perhaps you should focus more on the line of Sport Touring bikes.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:48 PM

Dear alekinci,

I find your reply a bit harsh actually a lot harsh and argumentative; inflamatory as if you are looking for a fight...not exactly a warm and welcoming.

NOT that you need an explanation but apropos "you are all of the place"..."there is no focus", I made it clear that initially I was seeking the Hayabusa not for speed but because it can be converted easily to a sport tourer...go to Pashnit.com, the owner there takes bikers on tours throughout California and has gone into great detail on how to modify the bike to be a tourer and touring friendly...it does not start out that way.

When my wife made it clear that she will not come along on two up touring I started looking at other bikes. Again I was never seriously looking at the ZX-14. I only mentioned it (now the second time) because I was really surprised to find the the CBR1000RR priced about the same for an engine being350cc less.

Lastly I am still awaiting for the Concours14 because I feel it will not require the myriad number of tweaks to set it up for sport touring as the Busa (and for that matterthe number of tweaks to the CBR1000RRto get it ideal)and I like that it has a shaft drive.

Clearly I am still hoping that after one year's time my wife may change her mind and in the interim I will have what appears to be very much a sports bike; maybe not SUPER SPORT. Just curious how do you guys view the ZX-14?

By the way if you go to the link to article I provided it does show the author on the bike...apropos "That means that he was not the pilot of the bike"

Where do you infer this from "Then you want to have a bike to make race track corners"?

Did you know that in a 2007 shootout conducted on May 7th 2007 Superbike Smackdown IV conducted by BikeTestUSA.com it found the 2007 CBR1000RR TO BE THE BEST (FIRST PLACE) FOR THE STREET, not the track?!

This fact is still yet another reason I was considering it. I hope you are not representative of CBR riders...when I went into the mods section people seemed not as nasty.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:24 PM

the louder you bitch the less people will listen....u know honey instead of vinegar....look i drove 3 days ago for 15 hours on my cbr 1000rr....from 4:30 am till 6 Am the next morning (few breaks)....dude i've got no pain if ur looking for that. The CBR's are known to be the best bikes in the world hands down, read any respectable magazine and listen to their reviews. This is kind of like the sport tires vs sport touring arguments. Your really not gonna get the best of both worlds, you have to meet midpoint and see which end you could sacrifice. If you reallllllly want plush then go for a Goldwing, their awesome. But then again, when you get that itch to ride hard and hit twisties just understand that your not gonna be slamming thru turns like your buddies on sports. Also have you ever really ridden something as fast as these big bikes?....I mean what is it that YOU want?...I think you want the power and sport and yet want to be able to drive the bike for hours or long rides too. I do both on my 06 1000. Just hit the gym and do riding specific exercises to strengthen your body man. Anyways, why would you wanna buy a suzuki anyways? lol....buy the wife some bus tickets while your at it as well lol

Old 05-13-2007, 03:00 PM

Hey I have already acknowledged that it is a great bike. I have even cited a very recent shootout wherein the 2007 CBR1000RR was found to be the best of the bunch for the street which is what got my attention...on May 7th 2007 Superbike Smackdown IV conducted by BikeTestUSA.com it found the 2007 CBR1000RR TO BE THE BEST (FIRST PLACE) FOR THE STREET

I totally disagree with you on this..."Your really not gonna get the best of both worlds" that it has to be either a Goldwing or...the more I contemplate this I feel that the Concours14 will give me a lot, if not all of what I want from both worlds...You say I have to meet "midpoint" and then go on to cite the extremes as if it is Goldwing or

and this is totally not called for "buy the wife some bus tickets while your at it as well lol" geez grow up

Old 05-13-2007, 03:03 PM

YEa, none of the atributes of the 1krr are gone for 06-07. The bike is still crazy stable and comfy! The hesd is great, It hugs turns and goes exactilly where you want it to. That guy is lost if he thinks it's not a user friendly bike. and please stop yelling at us. It's just annoying.

Quick Reply: Attention All '06 1000RR Owners - Your Help Please