2017 CBR 1000RR Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 04:47 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jmar

I talked to Honda corporate who said a PCV would not void the warranty, unfortunately the PCV for the 17 blade will not adjust ignition timing, only fueling. This basically means you are forced to work with something like woolich racing software. I haven’t asked them specifically about how an ecu flash would affect warranty. I have thoroughly researched woolich, and it truly seems legit. The tuner that I have spoken with tuned a 17 earlier this year for a showroom bike at the dealer....so one might assume it wouldn’t void. I would just call Honda corporate and ask. I think it may be worth it even if it does void the warranty. You could be cautious and just wait until your warranty expires—making sure never to load the engine . An engine that pings is certainly incurring some level of damage. The only 17 blades that I have seen not ping are in countries with looser emissions standards. Check out emre600rr on YouTube- his bike doesn’t ping at all. Honda corporate knows fully what is going on here. Every country gets its own ignition time and fueling map- adjusted for emissions. Seems like it would be a great bike if you get those two things dialed in. I had already decided to go with woolich until I identified my fuel/oil issue. All that will be postponed now.
Buy junkyard ECU, have super duper tune put on it, put original non tuned ecu back in before you take bike in for warranty. Tada.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new 2017 CBR 1000rr I purchased new in may of 2018 also pinged under load at lower rpms . When I got around 600 miles on it And did a track day I barely noticed it on the street after that . Then I just had the Ecu flashed and remapped and it’s definitely gone .
Had it flashed by 2wheeldyno in Washington state .
All stock except for the flash and a Akrapovic GP style slipon .
https://i.imgur.com/I3bQcNn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HTJOdT0.jpg

Last edited by The Factor; 09-08-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:40 PM

Who did you have reflash your ecu? Did it make a difference in performance? Where is the ECU located on the 2017 cbr1000 rr?

Old 09-08-2018, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mikec1976
Who did you have reflash your ecu? Did it make a difference in performance? Where is the ECU located on the 2017 cbr1000 rr?
Its located right under the gas tank cover and on top of the air box . Very easy to get to and just unplug 3 plugs . Seems like it pulls harder but haven’t had it on the track yet . Only took it for 20 minute ride on the freeway and around town . 2wheeldyno in Washington did the flash .
This is what I was told was done ,
• Custom IAP Fuel Maps

• Custom TPS Fuel Maps

• Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions - TRE

• Custom Ignition Timing Maps

• Custom Injector Balance Maps

• Adjust RPM Limiters

• Adjust Idle RPM

• Adjust Fan Temperature

• Custom Exhaust Valve Opening Maps

• Custom Intake Flap Opening Maps

• Disable Stock O2 Sensor

• Disable Fuel Cut

• Disable PAIR Valve

• Disable Exhaust Valve

• Disable Knock Sensor

• (*Some features vary on production date)

Old 09-08-2018, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna half to get mine flashed. I thought about buying one of those flash tune kits and doing it myself but I'm kinda scared to.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mikec1976
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna half to get mine flashed. I thought about buying one of those flash tune kits and doing it myself but I'm kinda scared to.
Your very welcome 🤙🏻

Old 11-28-2018, 09:43 PM

Wow I'm so glad I found this forum. I just joined btw. This issue has been driving me CRAZY!! I knew it was knock, been there and done that before with an old car. I'm in CA so I'll have to ride the bike to Vegas to get it tuned (illegal to tune here - unless it's for off-road use). Damn, I don't even wanna ride it anymore until it's fixed. And this bike is my only transportation lol

Those who have tuned the bike, how is it fairing so far? Have you got it to knock again even once? Screw the warranty, I just want the thing to run right. Warranty expires in less than a year anyways so I'll be tuning it as soon as I can

Anyone from Vegas recommend a shop? There's a few I found on google maps with decent reviews.

*edit for spelling/grammar

I have the matte black 2017 non ABS btw. My VIN is #42 lol so if there's gonna be kinks in early production, my bike will have it.....
Traded my CBR600RR for it. If it didn't knock (totally unacceptable) it would be a perfect bike. Got a screen protector for the dash too

Last edited by sharkswitlazers; 11-29-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Factor
My new 2017 CBR 1000rr I purchased new in may of 2018 also pinged under load at lower rpms . When I got around 600 miles on it And did a track day I barely noticed it on the street after that . Then I just had the Ecu flashed and remapped and it’s definitely gone .
Had it flashed by 2wheeldyno in Washington state .
All stock except for the flash and a Akrapovic GP style slipon .
https://i.imgur.com/I3bQcNn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HTJOdT0.jpg
hey man I'm in California but thanks to your post I called up 2wheel in Kirkland and I just overnighted my ECU to them. They are the first shop to even have a clue - I called a ton of local places near LA and none of them have a tune for the 2017 CBR1000RR. Glad I saw your post. Is all good with the tune still? Did you leave your o2 sensor plugged in? The guy from 2wheel on the phone said to unplug it when I get my ECU back but I can't find the wire. (I know, I know nothing about anything)
My knock was BAD!!! pulls from red lights and it sounded like angry marbles ricocheting around under my gas tank.

When I first called 2wheel and started explaining the issue the guy on the phone said it might be the CCT. I emailed him the youtube link to the video on this forum of the bike on the dyno making the sound near the 2:30 mark and he said that's definitely knock. Since my bike makes the same noise, that confirmed it.
This thread will save my a$$ if the tune really does solve the problem.
SHAME ON HONDA. how could something like this make it off the assembly line? lol how did the engineers not know it would knock even with premium gas?
I literally bought a CBR and not an R1 because of Honda reliability and build quality. lol, oops on my end I guess. I know it's an emissions thing, but still.

rant over. Wish me luck with the flash! I'll report back as soon as I get it back.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:57 PM

sorry not trying to bomb the thread, but one more question. what is loping idle? and how will I know if I have gas in my oil, is it obvious? I check my oil and it seems normal. want to make sure I don't have the throttle body issue like others have mentioned here. my fuel cap recall was done before I bought the bike

Old 05-14-2019, 11:23 AM
Default Conclusion

I’m so glad that my post helped many of you out, as I dumped a ton of energy into researching and solving this problem. In my case the knock was the tip of an enormous iceberg. I hesitate to add any further details in the public realm as this became a legal case and was fortunately resolved in my favor. Thankful this chapter is behind me.

Im glad the tune resolves the issues, that is what I expected, too bad I didn’t even have that option. It’s ok, the linked wheelie/traction control bugged me, the ‘17 just wasn’t meant for me no matter how much I wanted it. Looks like they separated traction and anti-wheelie in ‘19. After being a die hard cbr enthusiast for 20+ years, I’m not sure I’ll be able to go back for another after a very painful year of dealing with the manufacturer. I’ve been riding CBRs since the 90s, blackbirds, 600’s, 954, 10R.

Quick Reply: 2017 CBR 1000RR Pinging