CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   2017 CBR 1000RR Pinging (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/2017-cbr-1000rr-pinging-158009/)

jmar 08-01-2018 04:46 PM

2017 CBR 1000RR Pinging

I just recently picked up a brand new 2017 CBR 1000rr. The bike is pinging under load off the showroom floor. I’ve seen two other bikes in the same area also pinging like mad. I’ve taken the bike back to Honda and they don’t want to help. I’m relatively close with the shop guys who hint at fueling—which Honda couldn’t legally adjust due to emissions. I’m speculating a lean condition due to these emissions req, and considering picking up a PCV. My gas is premium, ethanol free, and I’ve also run Amsoil (alcohol free) octane boost to to see if I could silence it. It generally becomes noticeable once the engine is warm. Any input, advice or experience you can share would be greatly appreciated. I also own a 2011, so this isn’t my first rodeo, but it is certainly my first experience with stock bike ping.

jmar 08-02-2018 01:01 PM

This video clearly captures the ping/spark knock just past 2:30. I have always been a Honda man, but Guy May have been absolutely right with the Jonah label.

Mikec1976 08-14-2018 09:07 PM

I have a 2017 CBR1000rr to and it has pinged under a load since it was new. took it to the dealer and they could not figure it out so they put it on a open tech line with honda. Does your bike seem to lop at a idle?

Mikec1976 08-15-2018 07:15 PM

2017 cbr1000rr

I bought a brand new 2017 CBR1000RR and it also has pinged under a load. Does yours have a loping idle? I took mine back to the dealership and they couldn't figure it out. They agreed it shouldn't do it.

jmar 08-15-2018 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mikec1976 (Post 1316776)
I have a 2017 CBR1000rr to and it has pinged under a load since it was new. took it to the dealer and they could not figure it out so they put it on a open tech line with honda. Does your bike seem to lop at a idle?

The bike does lope a but at idle. I’ve read that the pinging can be fixed by visiting a tuner and adjusting ignition timing. I believe Honda made these lean and super advanced the timing to meet emissions. Unfortunately, my bike seems to be bleeding gas into my oil. About a quart every 400 miles. Needless to say, the bike is going back to the dealer-again. I advise you to keep a close eye on the oil level. Prolly an injector problem—as there has already been a fuel system recall. Best of luck with the new blade, I’ll keep you posted.

Mikec1976 08-15-2018 08:08 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye on it. I just wonder if it would void the warranty if you took it to a tuner?

jmar 08-15-2018 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mikec1976 (Post 1316806)
Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye on it. I just wonder if it would void the warranty if you took it to a tuner?

I talked to Honda corporate who said a PCV would not void the warranty, unfortunately the PCV for the 17 blade will not adjust ignition timing, only fueling. This basically means you are forced to work with something like woolich racing software. I haven’t asked them specifically about how an ecu flash would affect warranty. I have thoroughly researched woolich, and it truly seems legit. The tuner that I have spoken with tuned a 17 earlier this year for a showroom bike at the dealer....so one might assume it wouldn’t void. I would just call Honda corporate and ask. I think it may be worth it even if it does void the warranty. You could be cautious and just wait until your warranty expires—making sure never to load the engine :) :). An engine that pings is certainly incurring some level of damage. The only 17 blades that I have seen not ping are in countries with looser emissions standards. Check out emre600rr on YouTube- his bike doesn’t ping at all. Honda corporate knows fully what is going on here. Every country gets its own ignition time and fueling map- adjusted for emissions. Seems like it would be a great bike if you get those two things dialed in. I had already decided to go with woolich until I identified my fuel/oil issue. All that will be postponed now.

Mikec1976 08-15-2018 08:25 PM

Good luck. Keep me updated on what they tell you.

jmar 08-18-2018 08:50 AM

Confirmed- fuel getting into oil. It looks like a throttle body replacement is prescribed. This will be the second 17 cbr that my dealer has had to replace the throttle bodies. I will let you know if the ping resolves after replacement. The loping idle you speak of is most likely a throttle body/injector issue, based on the frequency of throttle body issues with this model. The hard part is getting Honda to do anything about it.

Mikec1976 08-18-2018 08:59 AM

Ok thanks for the info! Hopefully they get it fixed!