08 CBR1000RR twisted clutch basket

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 CBR1000RR twisted clutch basket

In case anyone else experiences this problem, my experience might help.

Honda is replacing the crankshaft and clutch basket in my bike even though it is over a year out of warranty. Apparently the clutch basket, and the gear on the crank that drives it, can twist under a sudden high load. While at a trackday last month, about mid-day, I noticed a louder than normal ticking sound from the right side of the engine at idle. It was loud enough that it was almost like a knock. The bike still ran normally, and, in fact, the sound went away when I was riding. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't diagnose it, so they called in the regional Honda service rep. He told them what it was right off. He has seen a few others with the same issue and said it can be caused by a hard launch. I was very pleased Honda stood behind it. This is a case where the parts cost a lot more than the labor. I am paying the labor but still very happy.

My bike has 4000 miles on it and never abused. I did get a false neutral between gears at over 100mph, while at the track last month, and I had trouble getting it back into a gear. I think I caused this problem at that time by not having the engine speed and rear tire speed more closely matched for the gear it went into. This would have resulted in a pretty high torque load in the drivetrain, probably more than the slipper clutch could handle. Similar to a hard launch like reving the engine and dumping the clutch. I thought it was the cam chain tensioner clicking at first but was louder. Unfortunately it was much more serious.

Just thought some of you might like to be aware of this potential problem.