CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wobbles

I went for a ride for pizza last night and ended up doing over 100km... while waiting for the pizza I went and did some twisties and had trouble keeping the bike leaning smooth through the corners. I felt like i was going tight then straightening out then going tight again as if I was going around 6 corners instead of just one.

I found a new asphalt roundabout in a subdivision that has just been built and rode around and around it (10 time) and really couldn't keep it smooth. I tried going around it the wrong way too with the same wobble.

When I was riding on the straight, it kept wanting to weave.

I got it home and checked the wheel alignment markers on the back wheel and they were fine, something is out alignment but I have no idea what it is.

I'm thinking about ordering a new set of wheel bearings front and rear and also the steering column bearings.

How can I check if the shocks and swingarm are straight?

Since I bought the bike, I've never really felt confident in the turns... I assumed it was because it was much heavier and bigger the the 650 I was used to... but it's not getting any better.

I can't see anything indicating it's been dropped... no telltale damage to the frame anywhere...

Old 08-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wobbles

TRI, too "bike hot" to wait for your pizza ???!!!!!!!!!!! You rock !!!!!! OK, wobbles, of all kinds suck. Good call, on the wheel / stem, / rear wheel bearings too... check those swing arm bearings also. You may have to back off the chain tension, to get a accurate feel of heave'n on that swingarm . wheel bearings are best diagnosed, w/ the wheel off, and a finger"feeling" for any unevenesss I kind of doubt your shock(s)/ swingarm are bent,unless obvious. That swinger is the pivot point, w/ the most influence back there.

Onword, to other stuff... Tire pressure up??? good tires??? ... no cupping, on the front or that lousey transiton (from upright to over) from a squared off tire. Or are they sort of high mileage "slicks" and need replacement. Check the tread wear pattern, to see if its relitivealy even, taking into consideration "road crown" wear. Older bikes, like ours have reached the point of freshening at pivot points, and that great tracking feeling, is just around the corner... Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Default RE: swingarm

Hey rippn, that all sounds like good advice, i though tyre pressure myself, i shouldn't admit to this but i was running arount on 10 psi for a while, tyre looked and felt fine, a bit lazy of me not to check... a bit of air makes a big difference...
wanted to ask about the swingarm, have replaced bearings at rear, am now doing front, how do you check to see if the swingarm bearings are ok??? thanks for any advice you can offer

Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: swingarm

PK, I'll "admit" to the mid teens on pressure, wondering why all concepts of handle'n reality, were evaporating !!!!!!!!!
I would back off the chain tension, so it isn't influenced on that side. Then push/ pull the swing arm, side to side, there should be none. If you just pull/ push, w/ the tire... wheel bearings will influence the "feel". Maybe others ("DAD" ), have a more tech based method... Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-11-2006, 04:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Triangle

I went for a ride for pizza last night and ended up doing over 100km... while waiting for the pizza I went and did some twisties and had trouble keeping the bike leaning smooth through the corners. I felt like i was going tight then straightening out then going tight again as if I was going around 6 corners instead of just one.

I found a new asphalt roundabout in a subdivision that has just been built and rode around and around it (10 time) and really couldn't keep it smooth. I tried going around it the wrong way too with the same wobble.

When I was riding on the straight, it kept wanting to weave.

I got it home and checked the wheel alignment markers on the back wheel and they were fine, something is out alignment but I have no idea what it is.

I'm thinking about ordering a new set of wheel bearings front and rear and also the steering column bearings.

How can I check if the shocks and swingarm are straight?

Since I bought the bike, I've never really felt confident in the turns... I assumed it was because it was much heavier and bigger the the 650 I was used to... but it's not getting any better.

I can't see anything indicating it's been dropped... no telltale damage to the frame anywhere...
Try to open the throttle slighly more when cornering, the CBR has a very heavy front, and needs power from the rear to unload the front which will weave if the curve speed is to low. Tension in arms will also cause weaving in some cases. Just ideas to try if you dont find any major fault with the bike.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The way you describe how the bike handles, is the same way you would describe worn tires.

The front takes on more of a "V" shape as the sides wear form cornering. It looses the "U" shape that it had when new. The bike tends to dive into a slow turn and you feel like you are fighting the handlebars to get it back upright and straight. You may not see the wear but you can feel it by rubbing your hand across the tire.

When the rear wheel is worn from acceleration, it takes on a flat contact area. Once again the tire is not round at the bottom. This flat area makes the bike wallow at slower speeds and track in a serpentine manner at highway speeds. It is like trying balance the bike if the rear wheel were a small flat board. And that ā€œVā€ shaped front tire is of no help.

I often replace tires that look fairly new but in reality are very shot.

Shimmy and shaking are more like bearing problems.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:39 AM

thanks for that rippn, i will also keep tuned to see if there are any other posts...pk...