CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

How much choke? How much gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much choke? How much gas?

Well guys I'm 2 for 3...starting my new bike. The first 2 times I fired it right up but the temp was warm...70s.

I usually don't have too much trouble with this sort of stuff but I bought my bike for a daily commuter so I need to get good at starting it without flooding it.

Any recommendations on how much choke, how much twist on the throttle and when, when to take off some choke...are these CBR's cold blooded? The temp was in the 50's this morning.

Feel free to call me if you prefer to talk via phone....after 3pm Seattle time
Dan
206-851-5969

Old 08-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Default RE: How much choke? How much gas?

my 88 has always been cold-blooded, requiring full choke but no throttle and has never failed to start, provided i have a good battery. i lower the choke to about 1/2 after it revs up, and completely off once on the road... hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 PM

I start my 1990 model with full choke. I don't even touch the throttle.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:45 PM

Dan, I usually give it two slow twists on throttle, slide the choke to full on and hit the starter button until she fires over. It stumbles a bit and then climbs to about 2k rpms. I let it idle like that for about ten seconds and then turn the choke down to about 3/4 and let it idle for just a bit longer, about 30 seconds. Then I take off. I go about a block and then turn it all the way off.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Captain Obvious

Dan, I usually give it two slow twists on throttle, slide the choke to full on and hit the starter button until she fires over. It stumbles a bit and then climbs to about 2k rpms. I let it idle like that for about ten seconds and then turn the choke down to about 3/4 and let it idle for just a bit longer, about 30 seconds. Then I take off. I go about a block and then turn it all the way off.
That sounds about like what I do. The only difference is that some times it likes just a very, very small crack of the throttle after it has been spinning a few times.
Mine stalls almost every time on the day’s first start. I think it is because of the auto vacuum shutoff feature. I want to draw a vacuum in the line and see if it helps.

Yes It's a Honda, they are all cold blooded animals.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:40 PM

All of the threads in this topic are pretty much the same.

Cold start= full choke, twist throttle very slightly, push button, fires up, sputters for a split second, then gurgles to a clean sound (all this happens in about 10 seconds). Then I let it warm up about 20 secs, give it a slow twist up to about 1800 rpm, then the bike sounds very rythmic. Move choke back to half, continue to warm up for another minute, release choke, let warm up 2-3 minutes, then go.

Warm start= no choke, no throttle, wait about 1 minute, go.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Noe

Sounds just like mine too.
Full choke, little throttle.
I go only after 30 secs of warmup, due to neighbours and their sleep, when I take off at 0630 in the morning.
Shut the choke after 1-2 min.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 AM

same here as well. full choke and leave the right wrist out of it. No problems

however......if I have left the bike for a while (like over a week or so) then i always have to try starter twice. First time gurgles and sputters for a sec and then dies. May be just not getting the fuel through after a lengthy sit? Second attempt is no problems

also i hear you shouldn't run the starter for more than 5 seconds or so at a time. maybe someeone can elaborate whether that caution would be purely for battery life protection or whether excessive winding could damage the starter?

jas

Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 AM

Thanks all for the advice...

I need a new battery so I didn't drive to work today (ya..that sucks) but I fired it up easily this morning. One slow, partial open and close on the throttle, full chock..blump..blump...blump...vroommmmm

I talked to the previous owner and he said no throttle at all, full choke...

The battery is low on voltage so I'll chalk the blump..blump..blump... to that. Will pick up a new battery today and I'll be good to go!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:37 AM

Sounds like my too...
If using the bike every day, cold start on full choke with a little right wrist, after about 15 sec down to about 3/4 and after 2 minutes taking off. As soon as changing to 2nd gear am turning the choke off and gentle on the throttle...warm start with no throttle. So far no problems with starting except for old battery that I replaced ..

Quick Reply: How much choke? How much gas?