CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

wider tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wider tire

during winter i will get them painted ( powder coated) rd the sam color as the stock ones, that is what gives the 88 huricane ( red and blue granit) it's looks, imagine with wider tire i will post pictures...

Old 10-11-2008, 06:09 PM

We all love pictures

Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 AM

Howdy everyone!

Does oneyou guysKnow if the front wheel spacers are the same for a 1988 wheel and a 1994 wheel , if not i'll to order them as well, I only ordered for the back wheel

Old 10-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Carl, mon frere, go to www.mrcycles.com and bring up the microfiches for the two bikes, and you should have your answer.....
If I knew for certain, I'd tell you, but I don't....[X(]

Old 10-16-2008, 05:35 PM

Ok here is the state of the project on thursday october 16th:

Wheels received; tiresare good, bearings are good
Ordered the spacers for front and back wheel( yes they fit no problem). one spacer received waiting for 3 more

Front wheel won't accept old arrangement od spedometer;
Enquiring about a left sprockect cover with speedometer cable ( should retrofit).
Enquired about painting the wheels ( winter)

Waiting to see if my parts will come in tomorow so Ican install everything and test it this weekend if not it becomes a winter project as temperature is dipping quite low here at night ( this weekend they are calling for a maximum of ten degress during the day imagine at night.) If the parts are not comming in tomorow have to put the old wheels on to ride on sunday whcih will probably be the last ride of the years.

And you have a very disapointed[&o] guy because i did not received my parts, but it will be fun [8D]next summer, I'll keep you posted!

At first look the bike is going to look awesome but once the tires are worn I'll go down to a 160 to be able to fit the wheel hugger.

and yes Griffin it is feasable, the bike did not change that much trough the years, which is and advantage for all cbr1000f owners!

Picture soon!

Old 10-18-2008, 12:38 AM

Both wheels are on , doing the shakedown tomorow morning, will let you know and post pics.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not just fit your old front wheel back in with a 120 tyre ?- I'm sure that would save a lot of work, and your speedo will be accurate no matter what gearing you use, which the later ones are not ! I would also split the hugger down the middle and widen it with glassfibre to take the 180 tyre............(you can then make a mould of the hugger and we'll all buy one from you !
Good luck mon ami !
Post up the pics.....................[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 10-18-2008, 06:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Why not just fit your old front wheel back in with a 120 tyre ?- I'm sure that would save a lot of work, and your speedo will be accurate no matter what gearing you use, which the later ones are not ! I would also split the hugger down the middle and widen it with glassfibre to take the 180 tyre............(you can then make a mould of the hugger and we'll all buy one from you !
Good luck mon ami !
Post up the pics.....................[sm=Flahssssss.gif]
Here is the recepy

Front wheel

1mag front from a cbr000f 189 and on ( reason sokes are not the same and it would look weird)
1 new spacer for the left side of the wheel.
the right spacer is the same one ( i measured it).
1 sprocket cover from 1989 and on.
one speedomeeter cable.
After switching the disk it taske about 15 minutes to fiit everything back together.

Rear wheel

1 mag fron a 1989 and up
1 new spacer for the right side of the wheel, the one between the bearing and the caliper holder ( discontinued)
you can get one made at a machine shop (will get that done during the winter), it needs to be 4mm wider, if not you can use 4 1 mm washer, it won't move because the axle is static, so it is solid.
left side spacer is the same from on model year to the next so you don't need to buy one (wheel is straight and cahin is aligned with sprocket).
put everything back together and voila u got yourself a souped up cbr1000f.
i'll take the pics this afternoon , the wife as giving jobs around the house .....so to save my ...I better do them! [&:]

Shadow the whell hugger would look weird and alsoyou need to place the cable arm holder differently so it won,t fit.

I'll get a inner fender from a later model and a chaingard.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 AM

I promessI will take pics today!

Ok yesterday we went with probably will be the last ride of the season,hre are the bikes that were on board for the ride:

Sv650
bandit 1200
zx9r
ktm supermotard
fz6
ninja900r
cbr1000f

From whatI had readI was afraid that the steering would be slower,I was the leader, part of the ride was on new unknown roads,part of the ride were on road that we allknew so the pace was up,Well on these parts no one could follow me, in the curves the bike was very stable taking turns at high speed,I did not have the feeling that the back tire was wallowing like it di on the 150 and 110, also steering was as quick and left right or right left transition were delightfull and quick.Tight curves were also easier

Overall an improvement andI am gladI did it,especially that overall it costed about the price of a set a bew tires,I don't if the facilty is caused by the tires that are on it, Avon AzzaroST, but definitly a worthwhile upgrade, Honda should have done it this way at the start.

Soo my advice is , if you want to do it go ahead, it is an impovement and you get a new choice of tires to chosse from in the future and when you hhave everything the conversion is done in a maximum of 2 hours.