CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   What have you done to your CBR 1000f today? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/what-have-you-done-your-cbr-1000f-today-95456/)

kilgoretrout 04-12-2010 09:09 PM

Beautiful, Blaziken! I like those levers, too. Red wouldn't work on mine, though. Maybe black. :)

Thrasher, I thought about ordering a K&N last night. Maybe next time around (or if the other one I ordered ends up out of stock or something)...

I cleaned my carbs up the other night... set floats.... etc.
Bought some new plugs and put them in. Also pulled the air filter and promptly ordered a new one....:icon_teeth: (I hope it gets here in better time than some of the other stuff I've ordered.... the online peeps have been pissin' me off lately)
I took the play out of the cables, too. It was getting on my nerves.
I also got a new tube of black RTV to make sure my boots are totally sealed on the box. Next is a valve check, carb sync, and a good cleaning. WD40 on the chain and I'll be good to go. :D

Saturday I did a carb sync on my buddy's F2 and took it for a spin. Runs a lot better, but really needs the pilots cleaned up. Classic low-range stutter. Above 3 or 4k it ran real good, though. Needed the clutch adjusted and more air up front, but rips around pretty nice. :)

Sprock 04-12-2010 10:51 PM

Very nice Ken, great pic's one and all , no wonder the lad wants to be in those photos
.......look great & sounds like ya had a great day of it too. Those Angels were one of the
tires I was looking at before deciding on the new Michelin PP....... next up I'm giving
them a try .......be interesting to see how you do with them .....be interested to hear
your report on 'em.

Today I finished buttoning up the bike with the "other" exhaust cans ! Post a vid anon.

bicklebok 04-14-2010 08:14 AM

Rode mine to work today. 50's F in the mornings now and 80 at quitting time. yesterday I rode my FZ1 to work, and today I couldnt wait to get back on the Hurricane!! I have put about 15,000 miles on it in the 2 years I have owned it(would be more but I ride 2 bikes) and I couldnt be happier with this bike! It now has 55,000 miles on it and rides like a new one. The only problems I have ever had with this bike were problems caused by the thieves trying to hot wire it. This is a well built, reliable, comfortable machine!!
Of course, no bike is the perfect bike because there is always something I wish was better or different. But at the end of the day, the Hurricane is the closest there is to perfect for me!!

kilgoretrout 04-14-2010 09:20 AM

Glad you're enjoying it, man. For some reason the weather decided to take a bad turn here this week. It was 37F and raining when i woke up this morning. :(

All good, though, i guess... still have a little work to get done on her. :)

KenG 04-15-2010 04:38 PM

the levers are of an old 96-98 blade, fit straight one,one bolt.

by chance i was at a car boot sale and got them for £2 because they didn't know what they were off,and they were in a bike-it package,sealed. i asked if i could compare them a minute,and just held them up to match,seemed ok.
the only thing about them,was the little adjuster screws were very easily turned,(kids walking by type of thing) so i set them where i wanted them and applied a little lockthread.

Bordo 04-22-2010 12:36 AM

With a day off today I decided it was 1000F maintenance day. Here's what I did to the old girl today.

1. Back wheel back on with new BT021.
2. Repaired minor exhaust issue
3. Cleaned both wheels to within an inch of their lives.
4. Checked the coolant pipe Boab had problems with. All good there.
5. Checked K&N Air Filter. All good.
6. Oil change and Filter. Castrol GPS Power 1 and genuine Honda filter.
7. A general check over under the fairings which resulted in some taping of uncovered wiring and some proper hose clamps to replace those crappy little wire things they put on there, especially around the fuel lines on the petcock.
8. Check of spark plugs. All good but some iridiums on order to make sure I know they are right.
9. I ordered some old style CBR decals to put where the Super Sport decal is. Never did like that decal. I'm also going to incorporate the " Liquid Cooled Inline 4 " sticker there as well.
10. Tightened top shock mount bolt. Thanks Dave the Pom for your advice !!

All in all a good day of maintenance that the old girl was deserving of. 2mrw is the Blackbirds turn. Not as easy to work on as the 1000F though. Man its a pleasure owning one of these bikes. Great to ride and work on. :)

Shadow 04-22-2010 06:36 AM

I've had to change my overflow pipe to the coolant bottle.
HOOOOOO
One of the bolts is stuck, and I'm struggling to remove it, inside the battery box. What a stupid setup.
More when I've ripped it out and replaced the hose.
:eek:

gary951000f 04-22-2010 11:16 AM

What have I done lately???

Unfortunately, due to a work accident, I haven't been able to ride my CBR since November 09, when I broke my right foot in a fall. I am kind of back on my feet after alot of treatments, but I face one more surgery in end of April to follow up. Anyway, persevering to keep up the maintenance of my bike, I recently did an oil change, flushed the clutch fluid, flushed all brake fluids, (real pain in the butt with the linked brakes) changed the coolant in radiator, and pulled and cleaned brake pads. As you fellow owners know, bleeding those linked brakes can be a pisser sometimes!!!! I also wrenched in a new set of NGK plugs which immediately improved starting power. I also was going to pull the air filter but noticed since I hadn't pulled one of these before that it is in a most inconvenient spot to get at. Any tips on this????? The screws on the filter box cover are almost completely obstructed. Well as I was almost completely worn out just by the other work I had done so far I had to give it a rest. All the bending, kneeling, crawling, got to me as my right leg still is not upto full strength yet, but getting there hopefully soon. The bike is all set to go now and looking forward to getting back on in a month or two. Cheers, Gary C. Las Vegas, NV. (the only CBR1000F in the state.......Ha Ha)

Bordo 04-22-2010 08:09 PM

The air filter in the 1000F is in a far better position than the Blackbird mate. You gotta get the tank up and hold it there while you use the other hand to undo the screws in the airbox etc etc. Its a pain in the a$$. Yeah the screws on the airbox on the 1000F are obstructed, but I find it far easier to work on than the BB. Its not a big job to get that cover off and check it mate. I'm doing the BB now and will whip the cover off the airbox in the F and re oil it to just so I know its right.

kilgoretrout 04-22-2010 08:37 PM

Gary, it's a little bit of a pain to get to the screws on the cover, but not too bad. You just have to be creative with how you get the screwdriver in straight... :) (around wires against the frame, etc)
And push in hard to keep from stripping the heads.

The worst part is trying to get the cover back on. That little tab is a pain. I busted mine off, but that's entirely up to you. :D