CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   What have you done to your CBR 1000f today? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/what-have-you-done-your-cbr-1000f-today-95456/)

Nova Scotia Mike 06-14-2009 06:00 AM

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Howdy,

This type of thread seems to be a common one on some of the other moto websites I frequent so I thought I'd start one here. I always seem to be interested in what wrenching others are up to be it mods, reg maintenance,
R & R, etc.

So, what have you done?

:icon_razz:

Nova Scotia Mike 06-14-2009 06:02 AM

Oh, and I can start with I re-adjusted/aligned my front end as per CBRClassics suggestion and did an oil/filter change.

DragonCBR 06-14-2009 07:01 AM

Me i went for a 550kms ride!

Raymond 06-14-2009 07:06 AM

Oil and filter change, Carb sync, a wash and trying to sort out an overflow tank problem. Getting ready for a 1000km ride

Shadow 06-14-2009 09:04 AM

Rode it about 160 K's and nearly fell on a wet and sandy road.:icon_hyper:

sawnee 06-14-2009 11:15 AM

Got her out, checked the tyre pressures and started her up (she hasn't moved for a week and a half)
Going to blow the cobwebs away tomorow as I will be using her for work again for a while
:icon_bike:

wolfman 1000 06-14-2009 04:28 PM

Picked the new colours yesterday and took her for a 90 mile ride this mornin. Felt good in the sun. Killed a load of flies and washed them off this afternoon. At last some good weather to play in

hawkwind 06-14-2009 04:58 PM

Just took her out for an hour and a half thrash around the country lanes :). Round here the only time you can let her rip is Sunday , early morning or late evening . The rest of the week there's too much traffic to have real fun:mad:

Luis CBR1000F 06-15-2009 01:39 PM

did a 15 minutes round the block ride with my 6 years old in the passenger seat, you should hear him screamming "Faster daddy, faster!!!" damn kid, do not want to see him when he gets older.

sawnee 06-15-2009 02:06 PM

I had a cracking ride to work this morning :icon_razz:
I leave for work at 5:10 am and the roads are pretty empty at that time, so I pull into the petrol station to get fuel and an '94 Ducati pulled onto the next pump at the same time, anyway to cut a long story short we played cat and mouse for the next 20 miles.
Great fun, almost worth going to work for :) (almost)

CBRclassic 06-15-2009 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nova Scotia Mike (Post 797381)
Oh, and I can start with I re-adjusted/aligned my front end as per CBRClassics suggestion and did an oil/filter change.

and did it help or not is the question ? :icon_wink:

All I did today was looked at the cover over her as I walked by her to go to work :-( ....

nutter 06-15-2009 04:10 PM

i cleaned the chain today thats after 2 days of putting wd40 on it to loosen it up it had gone a bit stiff

hawkwind 06-15-2009 04:39 PM

Thrashed her around the lanes again this evening :D:D:D , what a perfect evening! Not too hot and sticky , but nice hot sticky tarmac , lots of grip in the curves , but noticed a squeak that will need investigation . Think it may be coming from the front end so maybe wheel bearings , might finally find what's causing her to shake her head!

So guess what I'll be doing tomorrow:icon_denk:

D CajunGhstridr 06-16-2009 06:11 PM

Hi guys, haven't been on in awhile. Since everyone seems 2b talkin about wat's been done to their Cbr & mostly answering back with going for a ride. Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. Finally took my '91 out after weeks of sitten under the cover for a 45 minute semi quick ride. Been too long seemed like, between working & being sick for the past week. Gotta say felt quite refreshing to get her up to 175 mph on the speedo & then ease it on down & just cruise for a bit. Before anyone jumps the gun about 175 on a ol '91 Cbr 1000 yes the rear sproket is oversized. So even tho the speedo reads 175 it off a bit. lol! Also only showed 9800 on tach & I still had a tiny bit of trottle left. Had to get off the trottle was running outta room quickly. So all in all even if even tho it wasn't a very long ride it did feel good 2b back in the saddle again. Gonna try a longer ride next weekend(weather permitting) its long overdue. Sure wished they had more older Cbr1000f's around to ride with. Oh well! Later guys!

CBR1988 06-19-2009 01:54 PM

Hey:

Pulled off the stands and sat on it for the first time in 18 months.

going to chk it out this weekend and maybe take it for a spin.

93*F and it seems cold after being in the SW Asian sun,

Dub

Sprock 06-19-2009 07:27 PM

Been raining like non stop ...............................
So checked tires and put it on the trickle charger
checked fluids etc. Cleaned the rims. Went looking
on the web for a good GPS /Cam mount & mag' tank
mini bag

oh yeah ordered an 18 tooth (Need options for the
highway :) )

Better be dry for the week-end

AYUH

MK

Shadow 06-20-2009 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by CBR1988 (Post 799866)
Hey:

Pulled off the stands and sat on it for the first time in 18 months.

going to chk it out this weekend and maybe take it for a spin.

93*F and it seems cold after being in the SW Asian sun,

Dub

Welcome back !

kaska 06-20-2009 06:37 AM

Got new tires maxxis presa sport, but didn't fit them yet.

cbrsixpack 06-20-2009 08:39 AM

Take off the cover,thats about it.Severe frosts in this part of the woods,black ice most mornings,not enough sunlight warmth to dry the roads out.Oh well 10 more weeks of Winter................

sawnee 06-20-2009 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by cbrsixpack (Post 800146)
Oh well 10 more weeks of Winter................

THATS NOT FAIR :icon_no:
We are lucky if we get 10 weeks of summer :icon_doh:

paulajayne 06-20-2009 03:44 PM

Adjusted the balancer - much quieter - got to do the cam chain next.

Paula

kilgoretrout 06-20-2009 05:17 PM

Welcome Paula!

I put gas in mine today. :D

Been running it hard the last few. Loving these new tires.

Black Rider 06-20-2009 06:15 PM

Checked the Tyre pressures, pulled the left-hand fairing lower off, and replaced the hydraulic clutch fluid & bled the system.... hope to put 200 miles on tomorrow 2-up through North Yorkshire & out to the coast..:)

Sprock 06-20-2009 06:32 PM

took a spin

down by the water and stopped to shoot the chit with
some brotha riders.

When I got back checked coolant wiped down the rims
again, lubed up my new chain again, trying to break it
in with plenty of lube, don't want it heating up too much.

Sucked down a few cold ones, kicked the feet up and
checked in with y'all.

bigape 06-20-2009 08:45 PM

Hey All!

I haven't posted in months, but I thought I would join in on this one. Since getting all of my mechanic gremlins ironed out back in Sept, I have put 4000 miles on her. I have recently fitted a new Dunlop to the rear.

So what have I done to her recently? Just checked the tire pressure front and rear, lubed the chain, adjusted the chain and rode her to work a couple of times this week.

However, I am thinking about pulling the carbs again and going down a size or two on the mains. She seems to be running a little rich now that the temp is back about 90 here in North Carolina.

Shadow 06-21-2009 01:59 AM

Good to see you again Bigape !
It's been a while !

CBRclassic 06-21-2009 03:35 AM

All the basics this morning , ok I did not check tire pressures :icon_shrug:... then we went for a 4hr cruise on wet roads:eek: ... no rain to speak of , but a touch slippery ...
Kerri thumped me a few times for getting over enthusiastic..:icon_fryingpan:

The weather here is still not too bad , for winter that is ...:icon_special: lol

Not cold at all really .... just nice for wearing the winter gear ...:)
Had to wash the old girl when we got back though ... bloody road grime:icon_doh:

Nova Scotia Mike 06-21-2009 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic (Post 797945)
and did it help or not is the question ? :icon_wink:

Helped perfectly ... I used my thumb instead of my vernier calipers to guestimate where the tire should be so it's probably not absolutely perfect, but it looks 100% better. Now I just need to figure out how to straighent my clip on's :icon_wink:.

thx!

Honda Nut 06-21-2009 07:41 PM

Stripped her naked

Yep, I stripped her down to the bones. Wanted to see what she was all about and make sure she was what the previous owner said she was. She is all that and a bag of chips! Went to my local Honda dealer and they don't stock full synthetic motor oil. WTF? I have always used Mobile One for motorcycles so I left pissed and went to see what the local parts dealer carries. Finally decided on Wix oil filter and Royal Purple 10w-40. Bolted her up, washed and applied two coats of wax followed by a wipe down with Honda's spray wax. Baby shines like a new penny! :icon_wink:

CBRclassic 06-22-2009 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Nova Scotia Mike (Post 800461)
Helped perfectly ... I used my thumb instead of my vernier calipers to guestimate where the tire should be so it's probably not absolutely perfect, but it looks 100% better. Now I just need to figure out how to straighent my clip on's :icon_wink:.

thx!

A straight edge across the top , back of the triple clamps and a small protractor to measure the angle on the bars works good:)

Measuring off the tank can be a little hap-hazzard...:icon_wink:

DRam 06-22-2009 10:36 AM

Late report. Synched the carbs, took a 360 mile ride to see the kids. Put the shift lever back on - the bolt holding it on backed out on the ride. Then washed and waxed. Hope to get out on the highway today for a short spin. Gotta make sure that bolt stays put.

Sprock 06-24-2009 10:06 AM

Wull, have to put the big 18 Sprocket on today, wife blew the motor on her Explorer
and that means she get my Volvo to abuse and I get to do commuting to work on
my old reliable Cane. Big sprocket will bring the bike back to 2.44 ratio which
will be better for my now daily highway runs. 32 miles down and same back. Looking
forward to it to tell ay the truth.

Sprock

DragonCBR 06-24-2009 10:12 AM

hey sprock
What part of maine r u from?

I am in Montreal

Sprock 06-24-2009 11:03 AM

Carl, York ...........very southern end near Portsmouth NH

Mark

TimBucTwo 06-24-2009 01:09 PM

Hey, Sprockaholic and DragonCBR, I am in your area. I am a little west of Albany, NY.
This weather has been bad these last couple of years. I did not make my yearly ride up Mt. Washington again this year due to rain and hail. There has been a few bikes hit by cars and trucks this year and every time I noticed that it had been raining hard on those days. The bike just sits now.

Sprock 06-24-2009 02:59 PM

Yeah TBT this week was hell. Laconia Bike week was awash out too

Nova Scotia Mike 06-29-2009 06:30 AM

Ordered new tires. Bridgestone Battlax BT45's ... again. These are the only tire I've ever used so I don't know if they are good or not comparatively, but I think the early 1000f's need weird sizes and the Battlax comes in the right sizes.

I always do this; get tires and wonder if there are better options. Tell myself I'll research it out before I need tires again. Wear out tires. Don't research it out. Get new Battlax's installed. :)

Sprock 06-29-2009 10:41 AM

Mike, where'd ya order the tires from ? Get a good price?

Since the weather's still wet I'm dropping my baby off for some fork seals .

Nova Scotia Mike 07-01-2009 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sprockaholic (Post 803592)
Mike, where'd ya order the tires from ? Get a good price?

Got a local shop to order them in for me ... I've been going there for years. Seems like if I buy something from them yearly (usually tires) they don't give me a hard time with the gov't required safety inspections we have here. Not that I think my bike is unsafe or anything, but the process is kinda messed up and any inspector can be a prick and keep you off the road if you rub them the wrong way. And I knew I needed a rear at minimum; wasn't completely sure about the front. I recently bought a tire tread depth guage and my rear center was 1 mm.

$350 tax in for both ... to be honest I haven't even checked to see if I'm getting hosed.

Sprock 07-04-2009 10:09 AM

Today ...........July 4th

Well it's a Holiday here in the US July 4th.

So after gittin' my bike back yesterday with new fork seals (just too lazy
to do it myself), took her for a ride down by the beach. This being the
first dry day around here for days the beach was packed.

Big difference in the front with the forks being done over ......has a much
more "planted" feeling and handles way better ......less skitish.

Came back and lubed the hell out of the chain cause she got soaked in the
rain yesterday from the run back from the bike shop.

That's it for today...............time to party

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_4_10.gif