CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   What have you done to your CBR 1000f today? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/what-have-you-done-your-cbr-1000f-today-95456/)

bullroarer 05-06-2022 02:23 PM

Electrolysis on fuel tank.

Ok, so new to me this ‘89, took the tank off, looking a bit foul inside, the usual old gummy fuel, some rust , you know the score.
So looking on YouTube the most effective way to clean the tank, without nasty expensive chemicals.
Battery charger, battery, soda crystals, and some patience.
couldn’t believe the result .

Twice I did it, 1st time round for 3 hrs, second lot of solution 2 days, cleaning the Anode regularly. Pressure clean out with a detergent ( fairy), then wash out with clean water, then rubbing alcohol which absorbs any water residue.
I then smuggled the tank into the airing cupboard…( Mrs didn’t take long to sniff the air😨).
Just now waiting for a Phosphorus solution to etch the tank prevents any oxide forming .
👍.

Hawkwind2016 05-07-2022 07:29 AM

So you did get another 1000F.

Sounds like you did a good job on the tank. Wouldn't have thought of using electrolysis.

bullroarer 05-07-2022 11:38 AM

Yep Hawkwind, the electrolysis is a very cheap, but mega effective way of de gunning tank.

So today: Drain coolant, although it looked quite concentrated and free of any dirt , it’s been in the bike a while, I’m going to use a Toyota pre mix expensive stuff , good for ally components.

Took both side fairings off and sorted out any broken tabs, cracks on fairing( just a couple of hidden ones), and used this plastic staple welding thing gig, it’s like a two prong soldering iron of which you insert a single wavey staple in the two prongs, press the trigger and the staple heats up, and push it gently across the crack, let go of trigger so not to push through.
Pull the gun off the staple and snip the ends….It’s absolutely brilliant.

Replaced the fasteners holding the front lower cowl to side fairing with stainless steel M5 with some copper slip.

Spark plugs had only been finger tightened…so removed them , gave them a clean, looking in good shape, then torqued them.

The Phosphorus solution came today, so I may sloosh it tomorrow to etch the inside of dry fuel tank. Then it can go back with new o ring seals on the sender and tap assembly….BTW the inlet tubes( two long white plastic pipes part of fuel tap ) were well caked in gunge. All now thoroughly cleaned ready for tomorrow.

Hawkwind2016 05-09-2022 11:04 AM

Sound like you're on a roll mate!

bullroarer 05-09-2022 11:13 AM

Well I was… Hit a snag though.
Tank ready for plumbing back in. However I thought I’d balance the carbs.
Got it up to temp, and the fan kicked in ok👍, but she’s running a little lumpy…it’s sort of indicative of a jet blocked/ partially clogged. All sparks are fine.

Ive been using the vacuum balancing gauges…no.1 slightly out.

Itll be off with the carbs this week and give them a clean up.
As I’ve yet to obtain a carb manual K model ‘89.
Any one be kind enough to send me a diagram…I suspect slow running jet, but need to know it’s location.Many thanks👍

bullroarer 05-10-2022 02:57 PM

Had carbs off today….All nice and clean in any event, no wear, or questionable issues, at 13k why would it?

Removed spark plugs and noticed that 2,3,4 slightly sooted from subsequent previous warm ups, and balance carbs, but cylinder 1 not firing….clean plug, no signs of ignition. This would of caused the iffy running.

Ill delve into it , but suspect it’ll be something simple…usually is !

Plug, lead or cap. What will it be?

IDoDirt 05-10-2022 03:50 PM

Not firing as in no spark, or that cylinder is not firing. Could be lack of fuel due to plugged idle circuit in that carb?

bullroarer 05-11-2022 01:02 AM

Hi I do dirt.
Certainly the plug was wet, narrowing down the possible cause , ( not eliminating it totally fuel if all else fails).
keep you posted.

bullroarer 05-13-2022 10:25 AM

New plugs in, new air filter in…I would have done then any way, it’s just an easy inexpensive part of a service .

The vacuum pipes ( fuel tap location) have a lot to do with its running performance 😳, so I’m going to buy some decent fuel in a can, add water to it to extract the ethanol….which is clearly a debacle…(saving the planet and all that codswallop ) and extract the pure fuel into the bike.

Just ordered some new tyres to replace the 20+ year old ones on there which have the grip of wood.

Hawkwind2016 05-14-2022 07:29 AM

Sounds like you found yourself a bit of a time capsule there, 13K miles and 20 year old tyres!

I'm amazed they're still out there.