CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutch slave cylinder kit just arrived. I also just got a call from the bike shop that my fuel overflow cup has arrived ( current one perished ) and the clutch slave cylinder gasket has also arrived. Looks like a job for the weekend. Hopefully the master cylinder rebuild kit will also arrive by the end of the week and I can get into rebuilding my leaking clutch system.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 AM

I was very ill for the last 4 months (lost 40lbs in just 2 months). I missed out some excellent riding weather here in Northwest Nevada. I finally installed a new cam chain tensioner, valve adjustment & carb sync (that was badly needed). My 1990 CBR1000F had the original one in it with 43K on the odometer.
I rode my steed for the first time in 6 months.
I’m still grinning!
The motor is definitely running smoother & stronger.
I usually get 38 MPG in this high altitude land. Today I got 46 MPG.
:-)

Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sribop
I was very ill for the last 4 months (lost 40lbs in just 2 months). I missed out some excellent riding weather here in Northwest Nevada. I finally installed a new cam chain tensioner, valve adjustment & carb sync (that was badly needed). My 1990 CBR1000F had the original one in it with 43K on the odometer.
I rode my steed for the first time in 6 months.
I’m still grinning!
The motor is definitely running smoother & stronger.
I usually get 38 MPG in this high altitude land. Today I got 46 MPG.
:-)
G'day Sribop from Downunder;

Sorry to hear of your bad health but great to hear your out on the bike again now. We appear to have the same model & color.

Re your change to Cam Chain Tensioner. I have parts on order and about to replace mine. Would appreciate you wisdom.

Did you see any physical difference between the original CCT and the new one?

Did you replace the slipper guides? Were they very worn?

Did you replace the chain? If so what chain did you use and did you have any problems peening over the new link pin?

Here is my parts list - did you include any additional parts.

Any surprises or problems doing the job?

Thanks in advance for any insights.... Regards Naga Thai.

71-12391-MM5-000 : GASKET, CYL HD CVR 71-14500-MZ1-000 : BRACKET, TENSIONER 71-14510-MM5-640 : SLIPPER 71-14531-KV0-000 : PIN, TENSIONER ARM 71-14541-MM5-010 : PLATE, OIL GUIDE 71-14542-MM5-000 : PLATE 71-14630-MS2-610 : GUIDE B, CAM CHAIN 71-90607-MM5-000 : PIN (6MM)

DID CAM CHAIN SCA-0412A-SDHA
DID CAM Link SCA0412PL

Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Member & ROTM DEC 2012
Default new plates!!

sorry to break your question-answer chain Naga..

but i just wanted to tell you a tale of the last few days.. the weather here has been un beleive able.. so good.. and ive been riding my injured Hyosung all i can.. but i want so bad to be on my as yet unnamed CBR, so i can get a feel for her and give her a name..
ive had no plates, as shes fresh from interstate, and Seb took his plates off once it had been dropped off here..

the BASTARD. (ultra joking, i think Seb is a great bloke.. otherwise i wouldnt approve of him running away with my mum all the time lol)

but as it is, even with the plates and rego.. which cost me half a dime, i cant ride her atm..

because due to a hiccup in our court system last year, a whole bunch of people, over 8500, lost their licences for unpaid fines from 2009.. now, im no saint, and ive done some silly things, but really, considering the huge amount of hours i spend on my bike, i do ok. its not just not getting caught, but i do try and be good also.
anyway, it was hilighted to me that i had been riding on my P2s for over 3 years at this point.. and thus, had only 4 points to burn, and the had been burnt by this..

so back to Ls for me it was.. an i know im probly not supposed to say that here, cos its not cool, but its true.. so i see no reason to hide it. my pride took a whacking for a while, cos i know ive been riding a loooong time, and havent had a accident, but the cagers behind me dont. :/ still..

this wed coming, the 17th, im going for my P1s again, and then, i should be riding her plentyyyyyyyy

cant wait!!
i changed the tank pad, and have new bar ends and levers on the way, and we will see if anything needs adjusting once ive ridden her propperly..

Old 10-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Love that user name, it let's us all know, both who you are, and instantly gives you street cred because of relationship with Seb.

Welcome aboard mate.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome Knackie , I'm sure SB will steer you well when it comes to the mighty CBR

Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Naga_Thai
G'day Sribop from Downunder;

Sorry to hear of your bad health but great to hear your out on the bike again now. We appear to have the same model & color.

Re your change to Cam Chain Tensioner. I have parts on order and about to replace mine. Would appreciate you wisdom.

Did you see any physical difference between the original CCT and the new one?

Did you replace the slipper guides? Were they very worn?

Did you replace the chain? If so what chain did you use and did you have any problems peening over the new link pin?

Here is my parts list - did you include any additional parts.

Any surprises or problems doing the job?

Thanks in advance for any insights.... Regards Naga Thai.

71-12391-MM5-000 : GASKET, CYL HD CVR 71-14500-MZ1-000 : BRACKET, TENSIONER 71-14510-MM5-640 : SLIPPER 71-14531-KV0-000 : PIN, TENSIONER ARM 71-14541-MM5-010 : PLATE, OIL GUIDE 71-14542-MM5-000 : PLATE 71-14630-MS2-610 : GUIDE B, CAM CHAIN 71-90607-MM5-000 : PIN (6MM)

DID CAM CHAIN SCA-0412A-SDHA
DID CAM Link SCA0412PL
Thank you for the concern. I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to survive the illness the way I was dropping weight.

I use to be a Honda Pro Tech (M/C Mechanic) 20 years ago, doing the job is old hand for me.
Working without a Lift and my Snap-On KR1000 Toolbox made the job take a little longer.

I used the latest CCT Updated Version Part#: 14500-MZ1-000
Same as the one you have on order.

I replaced the cover gasket and the cover bolt grommets for a leak free seal.
No surprises inside.
The slipper guides and chain were fine.
The chain should be good for about 75K before needing replacement.

You only need to remove the Intake Cam and remove just the sprocket from the Exhaust Cam.

Be sure to use Red Loctiite on the Cam Sprocket Bolts and a torque wrench on everything in the motor.

The deep socket 10mm handled tool from Honda is a must to properly work the tappet nuts. Not getting them tight enough will lead to them eventually falling off the tappet screws (very bad if that happens when the nut gets jammed between moving parts).

Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was making sure everything was tight on the bike today and noticed this.
Name:  discrub.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  321.6 KB
The disc is rubbing on the brake caliper mounting bracket. This is the mount on the anti dive side (87/88 only). I ordered a new bracket hope it fixes the problem.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 AM

SO this thread is gonna be my open page in laptop from next week. Baby is going on a winter brake. Thank you People for getting me thro my first season with support, tips and allkind of benefits what I did not expect! Welcome all newcomers too

Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sribop
Thank you for the concern. I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to survive the illness the way I was dropping weight.

I use to be a Honda Pro Tech (M/C Mechanic) 20 years ago, doing the job is old hand for me.
Working without a Lift and my Snap-On KR1000 Toolbox made the job take a little longer.

I used the latest CCT Updated Version Part#: 14500-MZ1-000
Same as the one you have on order.

I replaced the cover gasket and the cover bolt grommets for a leak free seal.
No surprises inside.
The slipper guides and chain were fine.
The chain should be good for about 75K before needing replacement.

You only need to remove the Intake Cam and remove just the sprocket from the Exhaust Cam.

Be sure to use Red Loctiite on the Cam Sprocket Bolts and a torque wrench on everything in the motor.

The deep socket 10mm handled tool from Honda is a must to properly work the tappet nuts. Not getting them tight enough will lead to them eventually falling off the tappet screws (very bad if that happens when the nut gets jammed between moving parts).
Thanks for the insight Sribop.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?