CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Trashed fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trashed fuel pump

I am thinking of removing my fuel pump. I did a search and found a lot of info. on the results. But nothing on the route. I am wondering if the fuel filter facing the front will cause a problem when I get on the throttle. Has anyone seen this done? There is always some air in the filter, seems like that could be bad due to inertia. Any thoughts???

Thanks, Patrick

Old 08-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Default RE: Trashed fuel pump

My fuel pump failed about a year ago. Since then, I have no pump. I simply took off the pump and connected the fuel tube directly to the fuel filter. You may need to play with the tubing little bit. I sometimes ride home with my co-worker who has CBR900 on WOT, but my 1k has no hesitation or starvation for gas.[/align]

Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 PM

Mine was failing intermittantly and I ran a hose directly to the carbs, but decided to reinstall a new fuel pump in case I decide to sell it. But it will work just fine, just relocate the fuel filter. I ran mine like this for almost a year. I am a big fan of "If it didn't need it, why did Honda put it there?". So I put it back.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 PM

Do yo think the filter facing the wrong way ( inlet on the back, but flow still the correct way.)will cause a problem? I only ask because sometimes I see air in the filter.

Thanks for the help

Patrick

Old 08-03-2007, 01:47 AM

If your filter has a lot of trash, probably your carbs ate some trash, but petcock unit also has screen on it. I think that is not a big deal.
When I removed my fuel pump, I tested how much resistance the fuel filter has by blowing with my mouth, but it was almost no resister from both side. Means it doesn't bother gravity to make fuel hesitate to flow in to carbs. I will post the picture of my bike's fuel line later.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:20 AM

I'd like to see that I will be up in the morning to do the deed. Yas I saw your photo album; I like the look of the cowl and front fender on your Hurricane. Is that your work, or a color scheme I have not seen? I was thinking of hetting the rims and swingard powder coated in the dark grey from our bikes. I will be happy just to get the farings on. Or to a point that I can work on them, instead of motor work..

Thanks for your time,

Patrick

Old 08-05-2007, 10:18 PM

Before I painted, my Cane had normal Blue Silver/Charcoal metallic color scheme. I dropped her last fall and I started the project for the upper cowl. I actually wanted to stick with normal color scheme, but I could not find the exact same color spray can paint. So, I decided to paint upper cowl and front fender in Charcoal and side panels are in silver that different from the original. I wish to paint the rest of body work in the same color, but the original paint is still looks good. Now she has three different color, but still shinny.

P.S. I promise, I will take a picture of my fuel line tomorrow and post it.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:14 PM

Patrick,

Here are some pictures. The third one is totally off topic, but I dropped front end about 10mm (5/16"). Trying to make her turn easier. You see red or yellow doted lines on the pics. These are how fuel tube turns around behind the frame. I did some cut and paste of the original tubes.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:03 PM

Oh hey sorry for taking so long to reply... That is the exact path I was talking about. Perfect. Thank you for posting it. I havn't done the deed yet because I got busy. I will do it this weekend.

Thanks for the help,

Patrick

By the way, how did the front end drop turn out?

Old 08-12-2007, 03:22 AM

There is my favoirt right turn a block away from the entrance of my office building. Actually, it is intersection with right turn lane. Even I approach to the turn from very outside, CBR used to be very understeer and finished up on the edge of left side, but now after dropped front end, bikes stays on the line that I am expecting. It feels little easier steering than befor...