CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tire Suggestions? (experts only please)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been riding since I was 16 yrs old, next month I will turn 57 (going on 16). I have tried different tires and go back to the same one if I like it. I do try new ones if I see a good write-up them.

One thing for sure, a sport tire needs a good hot day with low moisture content to heat up and get sticky and hold properly. They are not my cup of tea where I live.

As for the Metzler Z6 Shadow mentioned, It's a great all around tire.

Earlier this year I switched from the Z6 to try the Shanko 009 ( the ones CBR1988 mentioned). It's right in there with the Z6 at a far lesser price. The 009 will last longer and works quite well in the rain.

Today I was out (just above freezing ) and found that the 009, up front, was doing some chucking when approaching the apex with the front break still on and leaned down in to the turn. It was ready to let loose. The rear was sliding some at a moderate spirited pace. It does hold well in the rain but I do feel that the Z6 could have been pushed harder in the cold.

All tires will slip in the rain or cold, sport tires more so.

Someone who has raced for many years and may well be an expert, will tell you the a sport tire is the best thing going. That's all they know and they may live in a more rider friendly climate. I may not be an expert but I pick a tire for riding style. I like to go fast and take the bike way down in the turns. Where I live the preface day does not exists. Just like there is no perfect bike that does it all, there is no perfect tire.

After today's ride I may find myself going back to the Z6 due to it's hole in the cold over the 009's.

And Oh yeah! I was out last night putting 50 miles on with some snow on the shoulder. I felt the 009's slipping then also. But hey! it's damn cold out.

Edit: Any tire will cup if under inflated.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 12-02-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey:

Another thing I want to add is the only way you'll be absolutely sure if a tyre is for you is like how TBT did and that is try it out. Then you will know for sure if you want to buy it again if the company still makes that same tyre in the same compound by then.
Poor balance, or rear to front wheel alignment, can also contribute to cupping.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 12-03-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 PM

I had Metzeler Sportec's and they handled terrific. But they were greasy in the rain and wore out quickly. I have Avon Azaro's now and love them. When they wear out, I'm going with Avon Storms.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I have been riding since I was 16 yrs old, next month I will turn 57 (going on 16). I have tried different tires and go back to the same one if I like it. I do try new ones if I see a good write-up them.

One thing for sure, a sport tire needs a good hot day with low moisture content to heat up and get sticky and hold properly. They are not my cup of tea where I live.

As for the Metzler Z6 Shadow mentioned, It's a great all around tire.

Earlier this year I switched from the Z6 to try the Shanko 009 ( the ones CBR1988 mentioned). It's right in there with the Z6 at a far lesser price. The 009 will last longer and works quite well in the rain.

Today I was out (just above freezing ) and found that the 009, up front, was doing some chucking when approaching the apex with the front break still on and leaned down in to the turn. It was ready to let loose. The rear was sliding some at a moderate spirited pace. It does hold well in the rain but I do feel that the Z6 could have been pushed harder in the cold.

All tires will slip in the rain or cold, sport tires more so.

Someone who has raced for many years and may well be an expert, will tell you the a sport tire is the best thing going. That's all they know and they may live in a more rider friendly climate. I may not be an expert but I pick a tire for riding style. I like to go fast and take the bike way down in the turns. Where I live the preface day does not exists. Just like there is no perfect bike that does it all, there is no perfect tire.

After today's ride I may find myself going back to the Z6 due to it's hole in the cold over the 009's.

And Oh yeah! I was out last night putting 50 miles on with some snow on the shoulder. I felt the 009's slipping then also. But hey! it's damn cold out.

Edit: Any tire will cup if under inflated.
So as for underinflated....I've always kept it 36/42 (I'm about 205lbs and nearly never double up and pack light when I tour). Tire pressure?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't go too far wrong if you stick to your 36/42 because that is what the manufacturer recommends, and they are experts!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Banned

I've been riding for just over 20 years and have had GSXF750, CBR1000F and a Blackbird. I've used pretty much all tyres that you can put on these bikes including BT021 Bridgys, Metzelers, Dunlops, Continentals etc. I have however had no tyre like the Michelin Pilot Road 2. No matter how hard I ride my BB or the 1000 F they just don't seem to wear in any way. They are an excellent tyre if your after great wear in grip. I would rate the Bridgestones next then the Metzeler. Continental and Dunlop I don't rate at all. Having both bikes in the stable atm ( BB and the 1000F ) they both have the PR2s. I am going to try the PR3 on the next set as Im told they are even better than the PR2s. I did have a set of Power Pures on the BB once but they only lasted 3000km. The BB tore them up something shocking. Obviously a very soft tyre that gripped wonderfully but I cant afford to change tyres every 3000km. Anyway that's my take on tyres. Its Michelin for me from here on in. If I can't get them its the Bridgestone BT021.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The BT 021's like Bordo says are good I have 'em on one of my bikes, the other bike has
Michelin Power Pures ........... great tire but again wear out way too fast they are
about to get switched out ( after 5k miles) to try a set of Shinko Raven's ....cheap tire
but seen a few 1000F's in person with them and they look viable for way less $$

Old 12-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rino
So as for underinflated....I've always kept it 36/42 (I'm about 205lbs and nearly never double up and pack light when I tour). Tire pressure?
I have had a certain tire cup at manufacture pressure and let a little out to stop cupping. Some cup and some don't The 207 and 208 are softer rubber more sport type. The will cup sooner than a harder compound tires. The 009's will last longer but have a heavy carcass. Maybe changing to a heavier tire could change the harmonics in the front of your bike and stop the cupping. There are many riders changing to the 009 for cost and it is a good tire.

Most new tires will drop into a turn quicker because they still have their shape. As they wear they get milder and then get harder to turn in. You can't judge a tire until you have a few thousand mile on it.

On the 1kF, I like the Z6 and the 009 the best. The Dunlap 220 I had tried I thought was the 220 the worst. It's suppose to be a S/T tire but I was always doing a 2-wheel drift thru turns. It never hooked up properly. On cold or wet days it was just plane ugly.

I like a tire to let me know what it is doing. I hate it when it just gives out w/o warning. The Z6 talks to you. Most sport tire reach their limit and give out. I would rather get a little less lean and have the tire talk to me than go 1/2 MPH more without any feeling.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 12-04-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:23 AM

+1 on the Michelin Pilot road 2.

I wore the centers out the Pilot powers in 1500 miles and decided to switch to the Road 2s. My feeling is they are better suited to this bike, feel more stable and I get lean angles all the way to the edge of the tread (pictures on request).

After 3500 miles the rear tire has 50% left with no squaring and I do ride fairly hard through the twisted roads I travel every day (see above lol). The front is showing feathering on the edge but as Pete said, I'm sure all tires will on this heavy bike.

Stock size 120/70vr17 on front

+1 sizing 180/55vr17 on rear

On a side note, my Road 2s were manufactured in an Asian county, but from what I understand all Michelin motorcycle tires are and not made in Europe any longer. They are supposed to be manufactured in molds made by Michelin with compounds specified by Michelin.

Last edited by ranchome; 12-11-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:58 PM

This is from mountain roads:

Quick Reply: Tire Suggestions? (experts only please)