Tire Suggestions? (experts only please)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:11 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
BTW : no expert here ....
only been around the block a few times in my career
And his is talking very large blocks in Aus. That one from Melbourne up to Longreach, across to Tenant Creek and back down to Melbourne via Alice and Broken Hill is a seriously large block.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 AM

Pilot Roads are very well regarded tyres, but all I can recommend based on experience are the Bridgestone BT045's.

I've had these on both my little Aprilia RS125 and the CBR1000F and they performed quite well for each. No idea on tyre life but I'd say its more than reasonable, especially if you're just touring/commuting. They won't allow crazy lean angles but then again I have a small 10mm strip at the edge that is untouched and I do ride reasonably hard at times - not super quick by any means but definitely having a good old carve.

I reckon I'll be putting them on again, probably a good indication. If money wasn't a factor (it is!) I'd be running Pilot Road's.

Cheers - boingk

Old 12-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
****ing slow down when the road and the weather is chitty !!! is my advice..
well.......I guess you don't like surprises then.

Even my cat likes to be scared from time to time.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

BT 021 is my winner to date. Suits the bike completely. I just got a burst rear slightly short of 10K miles and there's another 2K left in both front and rear yet.
I've had Dunlop Q2's and wouldn't go for them again unless I won the lottery. Great when new. Chuck after 2.5K.
Metz Z6s, two sets (the second notably better than the second) each yielding 15K miles. Good but not exactly confidence inspiring in UK ambient.
Another member here may be about to force my hand into Pilot Road. Let's see.
I'd give the Bridgestone a very big thumbs up and be quite happy to wear them again. Excellent tyres.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah well Henry I'd have to put the Michy PR2's & the Metzler RoadTec Z6's right in the
"tires that make sense catagory" too

Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The thing is with tires is that it's a personal thing. What is good for one rider may totally suck for another. You have to try them. Any talk about the mileage a tire gets, I totally blow off. Give me that tire and I can smoke it off in 1,500 mi. or less. I had a set of Z6's with 75% tread and we went for a 180 mi spirited ride. I was showing cord in two spots when I got home.

The muti-compound tires suck also. These tire are harder in the center for over the road distance and softer on the sides for the turns. They wear out way to fast on the sides and are like new in the center. They feel funny transitioning in and out of turns. Kind of like changing road condition.

It depends on what you want out of the tire. If you live in the south with low moisture content in the road, may be a sport tire is what you want. In the north where roads are normally cold and damp, a S/T tire would be a better choice.

If I ride with someone at the same pace, lean and road conditions, well then I can advise a tire choice. If you are riding more on dirty sandy roads, that's a whole new ball game.

I have tried tires that people have raved about and found them to suck for my riding stye and road conditions.

You can't be sitting sipping coffee and then pull the tire warmers off and go out and hit city traffic and expect that to be sensible.

If someone tells me that they are getting 15,000 mi on tires, I will decline to ride with them. I don't want to keep looking back to see where they are. On the other hand, if someone tells me that they are getting 1,500 mi on tire, I may not want to ride with either. I don't need any more tickets.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If someone tells me that they are getting 15,000 mi on tires, I will decline to ride with them. I don't want to keep looking back to see where they are. On the other hand, if someone tells me that they are getting 1,500 mi on tire, I may not want to ride with either. I don't need any more tickets.

Good to hear I usually get exactly 6750 miles outta mine
and of those about 50 miles are spent riding to WalMart - lol

Agreed on the whole Sport Touring tire for use up in these parts !
That last set of Power Pures I got was not something I'd do again.
Not ideal for riding around here - but they were good right when
I put them on for the trip to the Dragon

Last edited by Sprock; 12-13-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Default pulled the trigger on some PR2's today

I pulled the trigger on a set of Pilot Road 2's today. They should arrive in a week but I'll have to wait for the snow to melt. Winter in Montana...

I'll post a reply with my first impressions when I ride them next.

Thanks all for the input.

Quick Reply: Tire Suggestions? (experts only please)