CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

so I ran out of gas and now it runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this thing on choke until the temp gauge was half way...10 mins or so...still every time i touch the gas it dies...cant even move it 5 feet in the driveway, let alone 50 miles of riding...I pulled the airfilter out thinking it might be clogged...nope...its new, but it did allow me to move the throttle a little whithout killing it, but only with the airbox open...and then after a bit it started racing like mad and wouldnt stop so I dropped the idle down and now It wont start at all....got pissed and went inside for the night...will look at it more later. its frustrating me right now and if I dont step back for a bit I will kill it.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS there anyone you can borrow a differnent CDi from ?

Sounds a little similar to my trouble last year

Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 AM

As far as I know the bike was tuned to run with the airbox...it ran ok (a bit rich) but ok without it..then I ran it out of gas and it hasnt been right since...Im going to pull it all out again now and start over...take my time and make sure everything si set right and cleaned again...maybe I missed something in one of the jets...maybe I didnt seat the slides correctly when I cleaned them out..dont know, but will check anyway. I know it was having soem issues without the box...the slides would flutter pretty good when trying to pull away from idle..but then once the revs were up some it would take off fine...it really seems like a major restriction somewhere...just not sure if its gas or air...but I suspect air...my eyes were burning last night...sign of being too rich, but I also had the choke on for some time while working on it...but it seems ilke its not getting enough air...which makes me think the slow jets or an air passage is clogged...giving it gas just floods it and kills it...I need not to work on it while frustrated...

oh yeah...have no other friends out here that have CDIs...dont think thats the cause, but I guess with the bad battery it could have damaged it...but I really think its in the carbs somewhere...

Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by swisherred
but I really think its in the carbs somewhere...

Yep thats what I thought - stripped and cleaned my carbs 5 times from memory - before I gave in and took it to a shop

You can pick up a CDI pretty cheap on ebay - if it doesnt fix it you can relist it and prob get most your money back

Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 PM

ok...so I checked the spark, just to be sure...barely any at all...used a screw driver in the boot and held it near the tank prop mount and every once in awhile I could see a really little weak spark...is this normal? Im used to bikes having a pretty good throw of damn near 1/4" this would barely do the gap on the plug...could this be related to the CDI?

Old 04-01-2009, 04:00 PM

sure could as far as I know (Please correct me anyone)

Mine would run fine on a fast idle / choke on but would instantly die if you tried to accelerate. I am grabbing at the same straw as everyone else though I guess.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:04 PM

ok....so Im going to grab a multimeter from work tomorrow that can grab a peak voltage so I can test the cdi and pulse generator...does anyone know what years will work for me if I need another CDI? I have a 1990....how can I test the CDI itself?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your coil wires for cracks.
Test procedure for the CDI is in the Haynes manual
www.repairmanualclub.com
It WAS working yesterday, but no guarantees !
I still believe this is carb-related.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:15 AM

you know....when iw as testing the coils and other stuff yesterday I kept hearing what I thought was sparking, but not really from the wire I was testing...didnt see it anywhere...will go back again and check for leakage on the wires...they are pretty damn hard and unflexible...and it was raining at the time (both the bike and myself were outside in the rain) It could be that it was just leaking spark...will check.

on another note though...I hadnt thought much of it, but when I went to go look at the bike the first time, they owner didnt ahve a battery for it...so he used one of those industrial battery charger/starter units on wheels to start it....what is the the probability that he fried the ECU/CDI when he did that? It was running fine when I picked her up, but has steadily gotten worse since then and now wont fire at all....with a new fully charged battery or jumping it when a non-running car...barely any spark at all.

Quick Reply: so I ran out of gas and now it runs like crap