CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Setting Value Clearances

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Value Clearances

Okay I am sick of paying the shop $ 245 to do my Value clearences, I do a lot of Kls and it can get expensive so surely it cant be too hard, I know I have to take the faring off the left and right no problem also the Tank and take the left hand cover off on the crank and then I suupose all I have to do is undo the Rocker Cover. Apart from that it should be a piece of cake rotate the motor clockwise and set to factory specs ????

Now is there anyone out there that does this that would be kind enough to step me through the process please.

Wazza

Old 03-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Default RE: Setting Value Clearances

Just do a search. Its all been covered ad nauseam here.

But how oftern to you thing you need to adjust.

Mine has done 94,000km and I've only needed to adjust them 3 times. One of that was when the CCT was replaced.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:49 AM

Mine were done at approx 84,000 Ks it now has 94,000 Ks up before that I really dont know. I read in the Honda manual that you should do them every 10,000 Kls so I thought it should be done .

Wazza

Old 03-29-2007, 10:20 AM

Nah just check. Mine were within spec for ages.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below is advice from a previous post. If you are going to do your own valves you might consider getting the official Honda valve adjustment tool or a second party knock off if you can find one. I made one by grinding adeep 10mm socket so a six point box wrench would fit, then putting a hex wrench down the socket. It's awkward, but it works.

Aren't the #1 and #4 exhausts a pain to get? Anyway, since a slightly loose adjustment is better than a slightly tight adjustment, and because you have +/- .001 to play with (at least on my '91 you do), there is an easier way than trying for exactly on. Take the feeler guage that is .001 inch larger than the 'dead on' figure and adjust the valve so it takes a good pull to get the guage out. Now take the specified guage and slide it in. If the specified guage slides in easily, and the .001 guage either won't go in or takes a great deal of force to go in, you have your valve set approximately .0005 loose. Give or take a couple ten-thousandths. With a little practice and a delicate touch you'll be able to tell what is tight enough by feel almost every time. This, by the way, is called the go/nogo procedure for setting valves. It saves an incredible amount of time, reduces frustration tremendously and gives the valves a little bit of saftey factor.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:39 PM

Trips the reason for doing this is because it seems like one cylinder has a small miss ? The last time I had it done it took the roughness out of the idle, and the bike then started with choke every time. It used to take up to 5 minutes of cranking to start the motor, and I thought maybe the clearances need doing. She still starts fine but she idles a little rough, I am going to run some carby clean through her first maybe it is a partially clogged jet.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM

I've got another thread going about this, about $340, I was quoted for a full service, that a lot of beer money
I have ordered the parts, about $110 for both but they(Honda) say it's on back order

Old 03-30-2007, 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: MarkR

(Honda) say it's on back order
Give Presteige Honda in Perth a call on (08) 9317 5777. They ordered in a Honda Valve Tool for me to replace my stolen one. But I changed my mind so they may still have it sitting in stock as its not like anyone else is going to buy it.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 PM

Thanks,
why would someone steel one, insane...

Old 04-01-2007, 03:08 AM

I think we have all had so called friends like that MarkR

As for my problem it seems to have settled down after I gave it a gut full last night she ran like a dream today ?? no knocking at all started even better than it has been ??? Maybe it is fuel maybe I have picked up a bad gut full of fuel?? all I know is that i pushed her probably the hardest that I have in the past year really opened it up and since then it seems responsive and idles very quietly.