CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Riding bushfires in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd second the motion - love to be on the Bench for that one...............

Old 02-13-2009, 12:46 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slug bitch
just seen on the news the police have charged someone with 'death by arson'......... hang him.
puts out a message to the other nutters.
j
Yeah , I sentence you to hang by the b*ll*cks untill dead!

Old 02-14-2009, 03:03 AM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have one guy in custody.For the Churchill[Gippsland] Fires.

The Bendigo fires were started by [alledged] 1.Ciggie & 2. 15 year old child.
Beechworth fire was started by Power cables...

On the Friday before the 7/2/09, we had a Fire up the road that was attended by 26 Tankers.
That would have wiped this area from the map if it wasn't controlled.

The 7/2/09 was a day from the pages of Hell.The wind picked up here before Lunchtime,which was around 40*c in the shade.By 2 pm the wind was galeforce & 45 + *c,you had to be here in Central Vic to understand this.

Im talking a Furnace,a Furnace Oven,Jet Engine etc.To be honest i thought about what to save ,leave,pack in the car, i was crapping myself,it was frightening.We had the fires as close as 30 kms away.
The poor souls who lost there lives were hit by a Firestorm travelling over 100 kmh.

A tragic loss of life,by nature or by hand,regardless these fires would never,could ever be controlled by anyone.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that I had seen the big one here in South Australia with the Ash Wednesday fires 20 years ago. I personally watched several people burn to death with no chance of helping them. Then we get some bloody idiots lighting the fires in Victoria.The devastation can't be described in words or pictures. The speed at which these fire move & fireball is incomprehensible. I live in the next state 8 hours + from the fires & we have a smokey haze here from Victoria. The people all over Australia are rallying together to try & help. The funds being raised are quite mind blowing but no amount of money will ever replace the loss of life.
My wife & I did a cheap shop for the week & whatever was left over we spent on supplies to send over. I'll take them to work tonight as we have a drop off point there. While we were picking up things for the fire victims I suddenly thought that until you are in the situation yourself how do you prioritize just what is important & what isn't so. E.G. On the news a mum was upset because she couldn't give her 2 year old daughter her favorite t shirt. The child couldn't understand. Stories like this touch the heart deeply. One lady from my Church was saying only this morning that she has family in Victoria & doesn't know if they are dead or alive. She lives in hope.
I agree with shadow's sentiment. May God bless all those affected in any way by the fires.