CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Replacing primary chain and tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:47 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah sorry Steve, replying in the wrong thread, my reply has been edited, or did you just do that sneaky deleting your post thing?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:55 AM

Too much wine, not enough sleep, let's just call it ANZAC spirit, seeya tommorow

Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

(primatry chain)
To change the primary you need to pull the crank.
To pull the crank you can disconnect the connecting rods from the crank and lift it out. This can be done with cylinders on. Rock the crank slightly to push the pistons slightly in once the rod caps are removed.
Assembly with the rods and pistons in can be a pain as you dont want to mar the crank journals with the rod studs. Install the crank with new cam chain and primary chain. Pull the connecting rods up to the crank and install the caps. Be very carefull not to let the rod stud hit the crank.

I have done this before but not on one of these bikes. I don't know the starter clutch/chain setup, so I don't know what to expect there.

(Cam chain)
The cam chain can be changed when the case is split by placing the new one on the crank before it is installed. Both cams will need to be removed if using a continious chain.

If all else fails, pull the jugs.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Smile

ok guys..... IT IS THE PRIMARY ! I'm talking about and yes, I know the cases must be split....what I want to know is ......do I have to remove the cylinder Head and barrel assembly to split the cases ? or, can I leave them in place, and get to everything by removing the lower half of the crankcases ?.

Diagnosis of said Primary chain and tensioner......
Bike starts fine no slipping of starter clutch but a god awful CLACK and jolt when engaging first gear.
I have taken to starting the engine till its warm- then stopping it- selecting first gear- and restarting with the clutch in.
secondly when poodling about through traffic there is a deffinite slackness in the transmission the drive chain is fine as is the cush drive in the rear sprocket hub.
when apply in power there is no slippage just a slight delay when powering on and off.

thanks guys ....I await the next round of your words of wisdom....

Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 AM

OK, maybe stupid question, but have you tried pumping the clutch lever a couple of times before you hook up first gear?

I know my old girl doesn't like going into first when it's been sitting for a few days.

I've always thought that to be either a slight pressure bleed down issue in the clutch slave or simply cold thick oil hanging the clutch plates together.

Don't go splitting the case just yet lagoona, let's just see what comes out of this.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by bluelagoona55
secondly when poodling about through traffic there is a deffinite slackness in the transmission the drive chain is fine as is the cush drive in the rear sprocket hub.
when apply in power there is no slippage just a slight delay when powering on and off.

thanks guys ....I await the next round of your words of wisdom....
Probably unrelated to anything to do with the primary.

My understanding is (and I'm quite happy to be corrected) is that the only kind of power that the primary is involved with once you're on the roll is the 12V variety?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 AM

thanks guys for your ideas.
I sure as sh#t don't want to split the engine unless its a definite problem.
it may well be the clutch plates sticking as I run heavy duty springs.
(Which is why i normally stop engine when warm, then engage 1st gear and restart with clutch lever pulled in and the footbrake on.)
thinking on...... once the old girl has done a few miles the loud clack on engageing 1st subsides to a much more respectful snick.
I was under the impression the primary chain was the main point of transfer of power from the crank to the gear cluster......I guess im wrong here...too much time spent with old british bikes !
So does the primary chain only drive the alternator and transfer the drive from the starter motor when cranking the engine ?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The primary chain runs the alternator/stator. It has a tensioner which often gives trouble, but mine's now done 110 000K's and is rattllng. Your primary chain should be good for years yet.
You may be able to replace the chain by dropping the sump and pulling the crank, but I'm not sure if you can get to the tensioner that way.

And it's not like a Brit bike

Quick Reply: Replacing primary chain and tensioner