CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Rattle snake in my CBR1kF + some questions + pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle snake in my CBR1kF + some questions + pics

Good day fellow bikers!

First, please excuse my poor English.

My name is Sergio, and i am from Serbia (former Yugoslavia). This is my first post on this forum.
I have Honda CB750k '81 (original condition) and i have recently bought this great sport touring bike. It was love @ first sight I spent only 600-700km on her and i have some questions. Hope you can help me.

It's a 1998 Honda CBR1000FT with 54.300km (~33740 miles). I don't know is it original mileage, because people here usually 'cheat' and adjust mileage before selling the bike so they can get more money for it. And there is no chance you can check is it original or not. Stupid i know... But the condition of the bike is very very good, so i think the mileage is original (who knows). I found original HONDA tool set under the seat

Here she is:

When i bought her, i changed filter+oil, coolant, rear pads, spark plugs, air filter and the rear tire.

Problem #1 - I put Bardahl C60 15w50 half mineral oil in the bike. Since then there is some rattling noise. It's unusual because you can hear it with pauses. It's like oscillating sound followed by some vibrations. And you can only hear it when the bike is on 2000rpm and above. It's not so bad when the bike is fully warmed up, but it's still there. It was such pain in the *** so i took of valve cover to see what is happening under it.

The cam chain is SO loose at some points, but when i turn the crankshaft using electric starter, chain is properly tighten. Then i use the starter again to turn the crank shaft and i find that loosen part again. I know the previous owner wasn't to gentle on the throttle with her. Good thing he owned the bike only for a couple of months.

What do you think guys? What could be the problem? I think the chain is not extended evenly and that is why i can hear that oscillating sound and vibrations, but i would like to hear second opinion.

I was thinking about cam chain tensioner, but this is model from '98 with longer tensioner spring and relatively low mileage, so the tensioner should be ok, right?

I want to change these things (i hope it will solve my problem):
1. Cam chain, part# 14401-MM5-015
2. Gude B, Cam chain, part# 14630-MS2-610
3. Slipper, Cam chain tensioner, part# 14510-MM5-640

What do you think?

And what type of oil i should use? maybe this half mineral 15w50 is not so good option?

Problem #2 - When i release my clutch lever a bit quicker, i can feel a gentle hitch and a 'click' sound in the rear wheel area and front sprocket. When i was changing my rear tire, I've noticed that rear wheel dumpers are not in so good condition. Are they causing this problem?

And the last thing... How many headlight bulbs i should have? I see many CBR1000f bikes with two lights bulbs and i have only one. That makes me wonder... maybe the headlight on my bike isn't stock? Is this normal for this '98 model?

Ok guys, this is much longer post then i planed. I hope someone will read it and share some advice on this issues

Once again, please excuse my poor English. I hope this post is not confusing for you

Cheers!

Sergio

Last edited by sergio3d; 12-03-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, that's a beautiful late model you have. I like the color a lot. I'd say it's a nice find.

As for the cam chain tensioner.... I've never seen a 1000F that didn't have a noisy cam chain, especially when it's cold. I probably wouldn't do anything to it, but others here will disagree with me.

As for the headlight.... you should have 2 bulbs in there as far as I know. I've never actually touched a '98 (quit importing them to the US after '96), but I know for sure that the 95 and 96 have 2. It's a single globe, but it had dual bulbs, and they're sort-of a pain in the *** to get to.

On the oil.... I run 5W40, 10W40, or 15W40. lol...

Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice bike Sergio and welcome to the CBR Forum - glad to have you aboard. And your English is very good so don't worry about that.

If you decide to change the cam chain and tensioner - use Naga Thai's fantastic 'How To' on the subject. Spells it all out including what to watch out for.

Click in the back could be dampers, but also could be rear wheel bearings - so check them as well.

Personally I have no idea on the lights but I am sure someone more knowledgable than me will be along soon to put you right on that.

Once again, welcome Sergio, ask all the questions you want - and get along to the Hurricane Saloon and introduce yourself.

Cheers, SB

Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I will introduce my self in the Hurricane Saloon.

I hope i will see some more answers and advices in this topic.

Sergio

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sergio, welcome to the forum.

Yes headlight should have two lights, removing the instrument panel will help you get to them. There is a how too here https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-tos-81/instrument-panel-removal-89-91-1000f-100888/

it's the earlier model, but will give you a good idea of what's involved. Also definitely change both bulbs while you're in there because the one that's working might be about to fail as well!

If the rattle is coming from the cam chain, then it should quieten down once it's warmed up. Using thicker oil can help, also balancing the carbs helps too.

Very nice looking bike, enjoy riding her.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice bike Serge

1 The headlight setup looks like a custom mod to an original headlight unit - imo

2 Put regular 20 / 50 in it sounds like the cam chain tensioner is not building pressure
and tensioning the chain correctly

3 I think the mileage is about right looking at the original grips and peg wear !

BTW Welcome and no worries on the English as we speak at least a dozen different
versions of it here

Worst case scenario , you may be looking at a CCT job if the thicker regular
oil does not help - but hey it's worth doing - that's one nice condition Hurricane

Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Guys, thank you for the answers and compliments

Actually, i hope cam chain tensioner is ok (considering relatively low mileage and tensioner longer spring). I sincerely hope changing chain, upper guide and rear slipper/tensioner will solve this problem.

I had so much mechanical work on my old bike (cb750k '81), so that became quite boring. I just want to change oil+filters and pour some gas in the tank ... and drive the damn thing (until i get my own garage/quiet place to do some mechanical work on my bikes).

It would be nice to hear some more opinions and advices

@Sprock: so, you think i should try with different oil? 10-40 maybe?

Sergio

Last edited by sergio3d; 12-03-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20w-50 or similar 10w won't do anything.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

G'day Sergio , welcome to the forum . very neat CBR mate . I think SB is on the money for the click at the rear , cush drive rubbers and check the bearings . definitely go for the heavier oil , at least 15w in my opinion . I'm married to a yugo , you english is very good .

Old 12-03-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ozzyAL
G'day Sergio , welcome to the forum . very neat CBR mate . I think SB is on the money for the click at the rear , cush drive rubbers and check the bearings . definitely go for the heavier oil , at least 15w in my opinion . I'm married to a yugo , you english is very good .
Thanx mate! I will definitely order some wheel dumpers and bearings for the rear wheel. I use 15w50 half mineral oil.. you think i should go for some thicker oil?

Married to a yugo? Yugo car or yugo girl? :P

Quick Reply: Rattle snake in my CBR1kF + some questions + pics