CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Rattle snake in my CBR1kF + some questions + pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

lol , def woman . 15w should be heavy enough , as you read thru the forum , you will see a lot on the CCT rattle . It sounds worse then it really is as long as it goes away when warmed up ,it will be fine . ride her around for a while , bond with your bike . do the CCT later , maybe over your winter .

Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the CBR1000F family forum Sergio. Now you have joined this family you will find a lot of helpful friends with a lot of experience with these bikes that will let you achieve your dream on "just riding" - put in petrol - change oil - ride some more...

Having said that, my advice...
  1. Don't stress over what oil you use .... just change it regularly. (FYI - Mr Honda says mineral oil, 15/40 or 20/50 if weather is hot).
  2. Don't stress over the cam chain rattle (no damage has ever been recorded by not fixing it on these bikes). Get used to your bike's sounds as you ride it and as it warms up. Then read the HOW TO on my link below to decide if and when and what parts you might want to replace.
  3. Wheel dampers (Cush Rubbers) and Bearings. Cush rubbers don't usually wear at your mileage - wheel bearing do. See my HOW TO link below for this.
  4. Given the work you have already done - complete your "NEW OWNER" work by SYNCHRONIZE THE CARBS and RESET THE BACKLASH ADJUSTMENT
  5. About your English - I bet it is better than any of our Serb! The good part about my "How To"'s is that they cover all languages because there are many pictures.
  6. WELCOME SERGIO!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Naga! Thank you very much!

1. I wont stress anymore, that's for sure! I was just wondering if thicker oil is to thick for hydraulic tensioner, and maybe that's causing the oscillating sound and vibrations.

2. I know there must be some sounds and minor vibrations with every internal combustion engine while it's cold, but this oscillating sound and some vibrations i have are still there when the engine warms up. I must admit it's not SO bad, but i can still hear it at low rpm (2-3k). Driving me crazy (wrrrooommm *pause* wrooommm *pause*... )

3. One of the cush rubbers are almost split in half, so i want to change it. While i'm at it, i will change all 5 I am trying to open rear and front wheel bearing links from your signature, but I'm getting: "Error (403)It seems you don't belong here!". Is there any chance to send me these on my e-mail? It's: sergio3d@gmail.com

4. I can't see the pictures in the carb sync thread I do plan to sync them on spring, before riding season

6. Thanks mate!

Sergio

Last edited by sergio3d; 12-04-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

20/50 Sergio

And syncing a MK 3 Hurricane is a bit different than earlier generations
as the vac ports are under the intake and number #4 has to have a port
fitted

Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock
20/50 Sergio

And syncing a MK 3 Hurricane is a bit different than earlier generations
as the vac ports are under the intake and number #4 has to have a port
fitted
What kind of port? The one you screw in carb and put the hose on it?
Do you have any pic. of this?

Sergio

Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sergio3d
Thank you Naga! Thank you very much!

1. I wont stress anymore, that's for sure! I was just wondering if thicker oil is to thick for hydraulic tensioner, and maybe that's causing the oscillating sound and vibrations.

2. I know there must be some sounds and minor vibrations with every internal combustion engine while it's cold, but this oscillating sound and some vibrations i have are still there when the engine warms up. I must admit it's not SO bad, but i can still hear it at low rpm (2-3k). Driving me crazy (wrrrooommm *pause* wrooommm *pause*... )

3. One of the cush rubbers are almost split in half, so i want to change it. While i'm at it, i will change all 5 I am trying to open rear and front wheel bearing links from your signature, but I'm getting: "Error (403)It seems you don't belong here!". Is there any chance to send me these on my e-mail? It's: sergio3d@gmail.com

Links fixed now for these

4. I can't see the pictures in the carb sync thread I do plan to sync them on spring, before riding season

Not fixed yet - this is in the forum links - (Sprock - is this something you can fix?) Sergio - I'll send to your email in 12 hours.

6. Thanks mate!

Sergio

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 12-04-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carb Sync Link (without tinyurl gizmo )

Thing is a MK 3 carb sync is somewhat different as the
vac ports are not on the carbs !
no 1 is actually the petcock vac port - gets used (need a fuel bottle as you sync)
no 2 is under the intake on the head
no 3 is under the intake on the head
no 4 is under the intake on the head
but is blocked off / is missing the vac "nipple"
you have to install one for # 4

Easiest way is to bench sync MK3's with a feeler
guage by sight if you don't want to do the extra
work

If you do decide to install a "nipple" on 4 then while
you are at it (easiest done with the carbs off) install
permanent vac lines out one side so you can easily
attach your carbtune or sync gauges thereafter !

Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I add my welcom Sergio. Nice bike you have there.

The way you describe the cam chain noise is exactly how mine sounded before installing a cam chain tensioner. At 2,000 - 2,500 rpm it would be silent, then rattle for a few seconds, the be silent, then rattle. A new CCT took care of it for a few thousand miles, then it came back. I modified the CCT and haven't had any trouble since. There are at least three threads about modifing the CCT in the How To section. Henry M's looks the best.

Also, as has been said, synching the carbs will take care of a whole bunch of annoying noises as well as providing smoother throttle ressponse.

Ron

Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DRam

The way you describe the cam chain noise is exactly how mine sounded before installing a cam chain tensioner. At 2,000 - 2,500 rpm it would be silent, then rattle for a few seconds, the be silent, then rattle. A new CCT took care of it for a few thousand miles, then it came back. I modified the CCT and haven't had any trouble since. There are at least three threads about modifing the CCT in the How To section. Henry M's looks the best.

Also, as has been said, synching the carbs will take care of a whole bunch of annoying noises as well as providing smoother throttle ressponse.

Ron
So ..... which mod didu go with Ron ?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by DRam

Ron
Thanks for the answer.
I am bit confused. Makes no sense... Usually older models have this CCT problems because of short spring etc. My cbr1kf is newer model+low mileage+CCT with longer spring. When i think of replacing CCT and that whole procedure, i get an headache I know it's not so big deal and i have complete procedure guide (downloaded from this forum), but still.. it's pain in the ****, especially if you don't have a garage...

I don't know... I strongly believe and hope that new cam chain, top slider, rear slipper - tensioner, new oil (20-50) and carb sync will solve this oscillating sound. If that doesn't help.... well... i will replace the damn CCT

If i understand correctly, there is no point buying new CCT because i will have the same problem again after couple of thousand km? I need to modify my existing one instead?

Last edited by sergio3d; 12-05-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Rattle snake in my CBR1kF + some questions + pics