CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

R/R

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:31 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cooltim
there is a spinning bit of metal between the 2 sets of coils that displaces the magnetic field to make the magic!

Tim.
Of course; Magic, now I finally understand how electrickery works.

Why has no-one ever made it that simple and easy to understand before?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh! and another thing, the exciter/field coil doesn't spin! if it did it would require brushes and they would wear out. instead, all the coils are stationary and there is a spinning bit of metal between the 2 sets of coils that displaces the magnetic field to make the magic!

Tim.
I got looking at that myself. Every example I found had the coil spinning and they did mentioned brushes. The voltage has to be checked inside the R/R as it's not done elsewhere.

After looking at this system, I got thinking that you need some power in the exciter coil to make more power. A totally dead battery wouldn't have enough power to make more power. So....bump starting with a dead battery is out, from what I see... A permanent magnet system would produce power with a dead BAT.

cooltim, I also used the first example of your the R/R from RadioShack on my '68 CB350. It worked great. The regulator was separate on that bike.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-06-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Just in case anyone runs into this thread with charging issues, I just want to give a quick +1 to changing the alternator windings (the thing that you can take off the side of the engine just above the clutch slave).

Mine static tested fine, but when running I would only get power on 2 of the 3 phases. Took me a while to find one at a decent price but swapped it over and all good now.

I'm still using the Bosch RE55 regulator (from a Torana, no less) and 3 rectifying bridges I bought from Jaycar/radio shack attached to a heat sink. about 15 thousand kilometres so far and it's rocking along

Tim.
Hey Tim,

You piqued my interest with the use of the Bosch RE55 regulator with the rectifying bridges. Feel like doing a How To on that as I have a brand new Made in Australia RE55 sitting on a shelf in my shed. What rectifying bridges did you use and how are they connected/wired. As an electician I make a fantastic Entomologist Where in Australia are you?

Cheers, SB

Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Like SB's question +1

Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok Here is a quick and dirty MSPaint of the wiring diagram, it turned out OK so should suffice

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8282/7...1cdaf692_o.jpg

400V 35A Bridge Rectifier - Jaycar Electronics

I will get a piccy of the mess of wires hidden behind my fairing just so anyone else who attempts this doesn't feel so bad that it looks like ****

I'm in Sydney, St Leonards area.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

ok Here is a quick and dirty MSPaint of the wiring diagram, it turned out OK so should suffice

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8282/7...1cdaf692_o.jpg

400V 35A Bridge Rectifier - Jaycar Electronics

I will get a piccy of the mess of wires hidden behind my fairing just so anyone else who attempts this doesn't feel so bad that it looks like ****

I'm in Sydney, St Leonards area.
You Tim, sir, are a bloody legend! Thanks for that, I have to go out this afternoon for a short while and might just drop past Jaycar

If you're in the Adelaide Hills, feel free to drop in for a beverage..............

Cheers, SB

Old 07-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Got home from my 1700 mi trip yesterday and my new ElectroSport R/R was waiting for me. Today I installed it and its working great.

There was nothing wrong with my old OEM R/R but thought it was getting old. It didn't start working (charging) until 2,800 rpm and even then it was putting out just 12.5v until higher rpm's. Max volts was only 13.5v

The ElectorSport R/R works at idle keeping the BAT at 12.5 with high beams on. At 1,500 rpm it is putting out 14.5v.

Two days ago I was in NYC trying to cross the GWB in stop and go traffic. At idle I was loosing juice and the bike was not running right, it was stalling a bunch. It was very hot and I had some bad gas. At idle it was pinging and knocking and stalling.

I can't wait to be out on the road with my new R/R.

A couple of notes; It does get warm to the touch when the bike is running. The fins will most likely pull that heat off.

Also, when the R/R was exposed, the Bl and the W wires are keyed. Interesting. One may power up the exciter coil and the other may be working a gate circuit.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-14-2012 at 04:35 PM.