CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

R/R

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Just brilliant Naga! Thanks for the heads up.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is one great reason why it is so advantageous to be a member of a model specific forum.

Cheers, SB
Thanks SB.
Now go back to bed... it's too early and too cold there for you to be up on the forum at this time!!

Old 06-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Naga_Thai
Thanks SB.
Now go back to bed... it's too early and too cold there for you to be up on the forum at this time!!

Ha! Thanks Naga, and there is a beautiful slow combustion heater not 15 feet from me churning out the heaticles, but unfortunately I have to go do some maintenance on my partner's house this morning.

She is selling it, and there is an Open this afternoon.

Then back to the shed

Old 06-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the infoNaga_Thai. Now that you posted that, I may remember the problem but not the product. I doubt that the supplier fix the problem and will take it from day to day. Your right about the 3-phase systems we have, need to match the R/R.

The old saying,"if it's to good to be true..."

Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That just goes to show what a great forum this is. I've read about the
problems with these R/R and thought it would be a good idea to have a
backup too. The seller even ships for free to Sweden, hope you managed to cancel the order TBT.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kinda falls into this category unfortunately

Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried Ricks

View item:
Ricks Motorsport Regulator/Rectifier Honda CBR1000 Hurricane 1987-1988

Sent from my iPhone

Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Default oops

Hey:

TBT, Sorry I did not see this earlier, was answering PMs, I posted about this awhile back that they can not work as they do not have the correct wiring. They are made for an older bike than the CBR. Thanks Naga for catching this so Quickly . I ordered 3 of the R/Rs to test this did not work at all, but the Electrex and the Ricks are still going strong. The Modified stock one with the added heat sink and fan bike has not been ridden enough to make any determination yet.

But A big computer P3/4 CPU heat sink and associted fan can not hurt just take a little mod to fit and sandwich the stock R/R between the fan, heat sink, and silver compound and can be purchased cheap used on Ebay to get you by using the rear LP light 12v as a power source for the fan.

This was and is a poor design but they Honda are not alone as many others use this same Junk. It is funny that the aftermarket has found a better way to make these than the OEMs have.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 07-03-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR1988
This was and is a poor design but they Honda are not alone as many others use this same Junk. It is funny that the aftermarket has found a better way to make these than the OEMs have.
It was the best they could do for the $$ back in the day. When any manufacture builds a vehicle they make more parts than needed to stock parts shelves. The OEMs are most likely nothing more than parts overruns sitting on shelves. They have no born-on-date so how old are they? Same part # may say, same old part.

I did get most of my money back from the the e-bay supplier for the wrong part and I kept in contact with them and they promised to remover the CBR1000F form the item description. Will see how that goes.

I purchased an R/R from Electrosport as it is direct plug in and has over-current and over-temperature safety circuit built in.

Shipping update has it here in time for when I get home from my 1,500 mi trip. Bummer!

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-03-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:56 AM

This is an interesting discussion. I also subscribe to a V Max forum and the R/R problem is rife in that area as the crappy zenner diode R/R that was OE on the earlier V Max's is a piece of junk,the last one on mine has only lasted about 5000 km. It would seem that the R/R units from R1 R6 Hyabusa are able to be used although they are a bit bigger with cooling fins (the original unit relies on mounting surface contact for cooling). The newer units are MOSFET setup which apparently uses a transistorised circuit rather than diodes and does not run nearly as hot as the older zenner based units .
The V Max uses a 4 wire setup (3 phases and 1 to the battery) with the unit earthing through the mounts,so a 4 or 5 wire MOSFET unit is fine having a seperate earth connection.Unfortunately my CBR is at present at my house in Hawkes Bay 4 hours away so I cant check out the wiring on the Honda setup but I'm sure there is someone more experienced in the dark art of sparks who could shed some light on this subject.
As an aside I am just going into the process of converting V Max to modern R/R and stick coils so will keep you posted on how things turn out.