CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Picked up new to me bike couple days ago.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Picked up new to me bike couple days ago.

Chesthing, you practically stole the bike at that price! As you mentioned, they are usually rather pricey when compared to other bikes in their class. Still, lots of folks rave about the VFR, so they must be worth it. You got a good year too, as many people prefer the gear-driven cams (which were changed to chain-driven in later years).

From a strictly bench-racing standpoint, I would think the CBR would be the faster of the two bikes (at least in a straight line). From what I've read, the CBR weighs 50-60 lbs more than the VFR but has significantly more power (25-30 hp). When you're taking about +/- a fraction of a second in a standing 1/4 mile, it's nearly impossible to tell which bike is quicker, based purely on "feel". Other factors can make that VFR seem like the quicker bike, such as the incredible sound of that V4.

Regardless, congratulations on a great purchase.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:37 AM

Newer vtec VFR's weigh 40 lbs more than mine - mine's 468 lbs dry, about 502 wet - '94 CBR is 600 wet. VFR has 97 rear wheel hp, 55 lbs torque, CBR is 113 hp and 69 lbs torque. VFR hp/wt ratio = .194 CBR hp/wt ratio = .188 trust me it's at least as fast. I'm still slapping myself in the cheak waiting to wake up and realize I dreamed the deal I got on her.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:08 AM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it really possible that the CBR has a loss of power of more than 16 % from crank to rear wheel, and the VFR only less than 12% loss? I´m finding it hard to believe
Based on crank hp and dry weight the ratio is .260 hp/lbs for the CBR and .237 hp/lbs for the VFR. Top speed is 255 for the CBR and 240 for the VFR.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:51 AM

Mike, here's a couple tests showing rear wheel hp. CBR is 105 by 1994, VFR is 95 - I've already given the weights, redo your calculations. Lets move on.

http://www.mcreports.com/Pages/Indiv...da/VFR800.html
http://www.mcreports.com/Pages/Indiv.../CBR1000F.html

Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Noe

what ever the case is, they are both very beatiful and well build bikes. They have both been bikes of my dreams for a very long time.
According to all the different tests I have read, and that ain't a few, the build quality of the VFR is second to none!
In Denmark there are way more old VFR's driving along than old CBR1000F's

All respect ro the CBR, but I don't belive that there is any chance that the CBR1000F will ever earn the same reputation the VFR has for beeing the best all round bike ever build! That is not only my opinion, but a big part of the worlds MC press say the same. I don't think I have ever read a bad review of a VFR, at least in my experience.

That said; I love my CBR!!! and it is not going to be sold for some years. Only then to be replaced by a VFR800 VTEC or ZZR1200(Which walkes all over the VFR in terms of power and speed, but hasn't got the build quality... Sheer power my freinds )

BTW: Still interested in any views on the VFR

Peace, Love and Harmony

Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 PM

I too had a ton of fun this summer on the CBR and think it's a great bike. I just couldnt continue with the fuminess from the carbs at high altitude (which I tried several times to eliminate with rejeting) and the excessive oil consumption (about a quart/3,000 miles). If it werent for these 2 things I'd be keeping the bike for many more years.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:43 AM

Hey chesthing what a great deal!!! I'm jealous!!! I looked at a VFR at the local dealer 2 months back, although it was a 750, nice looking bike, sounded good, single sided swingarm, all the things i like, he wouldn't do a trade on mine otherwise i may be riding one as well. bikes seem more expensive down here, or thats how it sounds reading various posts. anyway just wanted to say good luck and have fun!!!

Old 12-25-2006, 10:06 AM

Any updates on your new VFR chesting? I'm interested in you findings if you have got the opportunity to use it more by now.

Old 12-25-2006, 04:21 PM

Nice bike!!
I always wanted an older Intercepter, preferably the 750 or the old 1k's. I don't like the new V-Tech design on the engine myself. More weight, much more moving parts and to me the V-tech just isn't necessary on a bike. I'll tell ya what, make sure you take care of her!! If you have to do any kind of work on that motor, you'll see why I'm saying what I'm saying. There are a LOT of moving parts in that motor, and they can be relatively difficult to work on. Don't even speak of taking it to the dealer to have a tune-up. Make sure you take your grease with u! Esp if it has the V-tech! They are difficult to setup right.

Stats on a bike only give you a "Idea" of how well they will truly perform. 95% of how well they truly handle depends on the rider except when your going in a straight line. I mean anyone can twist the throttle to the stops and get in full tuck and hold on. In the twisties, I think the VFR would have an advantage due to its shorter wheelbase and less weight. Every year on my trip to west Texas, the Ducatti ST2 that goes with us, I can blow his doors off on high speed sweepers and straight aways. I mean NO contest! Just ZOOOOOM and I'm gone. But in the tighter, technical twisty stuff is where the Duc comes into her own. The bike is FAST in the turns due to the less weight and Ducatti's handling. He can set a pace that I can't keep up with because of the extra mass and chassis length. I'd love to take my FZR 600 out there though to blow his butt away in those tight twisties though!! Hehehehe..

I have thought about it and thought about it.. I don't know what bike I could replace my CBR with, so I'm not going to replace it. I'm just going to add another bike to the stable!!! I'm not looking for a Blackbird or VFR, I want a ZX-10. I want something nasty! When I go "Riding" with the boyz, I want to leave rubber strips on the asphalt as I leave a corner with the front wheel starting to reach for the sky while doing it. I want a true corner carving machine with the engine to match! Cuz I tell ya what, during the week I would be riding my CBR, but on those weekend outings, it would be the ZX-10.

I have a problem with that "Sitting on top of the bike" feel though. The CBR has me spoiled in that respect. To me, sitting on the CBR you and the bike become one unit together. But for example I took a CBR 900RR out for a spin, and it takes some getting use to that feel of riding "On" the bike instead of becoming one with the bike. I was still running the 900rr pretty hard, and it was stable as ever, but I would have been going MUCH faster on my CBR because I'm more comfortable with it. Just takes some getting use to I guess.

Congrats on the bike, I still wouldn't mind having a VFR though!! They are EXTREMELY reliable! Plenty fast for city streets for sure!!! If they ever upgrade them to 1000cc's the sport touring comparo's will do a HUGE swing in favor of the VFR's!!