CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Not havin much luck .... fork seals now!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not havin much luck .... fork seals now!

I thought that I'd got a busted brake hose yesterday, as the l/h side hose was covered in some sort of fluid .... so priced a set of replacement hoses up at the local Honda dealer....

On closer inspection, it looks like the l/h fork seal is spewing oil out and draining down the fork leg and on to the brake hose!

I've had a look around the forum at the "How To's" but can't seem to find one specifically for the 1kf .... have I not looked hard enough?

I've never done a fork seal replacement before ..... any advise please???

PS ..... they were "supposedly" replaced just before I bought it about 18 months ago .... Do I assume that the previous owner used cheapo seals?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a bummer Shakey. Maybe they just did a crap job as well as cheap fork seals.

I cheated and got my local mechanic to do mine so I'm no real help to you mate. As always though, I'm here for moral support and to pour the beers.

I'll have a quick look because I'm sure I've seen something about it here.

Edit:

You've probably seen this one but, just in case; https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...al-job-122850/

Last edited by davethepom; 04-28-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

me too om a lazy ******* like Dave.. But hey Hawkwind has plenty of experience
with it ....... he's done it a few times .....to say the least ....pm him, but suffice as to
say if the fork tubes are anyway "rough" after new seals .......the new seals will
weep fairly soon ......... that was the deal with his....new ones blew out fast

So basically those tubes need to be spotless and polished up good to maintain
seal integrity after the new seals goes on.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a google "How to change fork seals", There are some excellent links I found on that query.

If you are really serious about working on a bike, buy the manual. Nothing beats "right there in front of you". Having the correct names for things from the manual helps in the searches too. No matter what Dave and Sprock say, "thing-a-ma-jig" is NOT a technical term! lol
Ern

Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Ern is a thing-a-ma-jig ya know .........it's a term alright ...lol

Ern 22 more posts ..... you become a senior member .........then you might get away with it man lol

Last edited by Sprock; 04-28-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM

More of a do-hicky IMO

"lazy ******* like Dave" eh????.......fair call I s'pose

Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM

Hey Shakey, not too much of an issue changing fork seals. Just replaced mine last week for the second time doing this ever, take your time, all should fall into place (if not , fall apart, nah jus kiddin hehe) Hardest part is driving the new seal home without damaging it. I made a driver tool from plastic pipe that is near the outer diameter of the seal so it was driving down on the steel ring moulded into the seal.

Have a look at the link below and check out the specs manual to see how every thing fits together.

Just a couple of pointers from my (very limited) experience, replace both seals, using qualitiy items and replace the dust caps if they have any fine cracks in them. Change the fork oil, I use 10W ATF as it last longer and works better.

When you remove the calipers put them in a plastic bag and tape shut to prevent any oil getting on them and tie back to exhausts so they are out of the way. Cover your plastics with decent rags to prevent oil spillages and prevent damage if you drop something on them (like I did). Everything must be emaculately clean.

If the fork tubes have fine vertical marks, scratches, pits or other defects take time out to polish them up. I do it with an orbital sander fitted with heavy cotton pads and brasso. Takes about an hour to do, but well worth it, clean everything off so no brasso remains or it will destroy the seals, guides, valves etc in the long run.

Heres some pics of my last change out a while back. Have fun, Cheers Andy

Attached Thumbnails Not havin much luck .... fork seals now!-bike-jack-front-raised-slightly-rear-wheel-locks-applied.jpg   Not havin much luck .... fork seals now!-everything-covered-protection-one-fork-cap-off-showing-custom-spring-spacer-protruding-out-.jpg   Not havin much luck .... fork seals now!-fork-inner-components.jpg   Not havin much luck .... fork seals now!-oil-draining-bags-calipers-protection-tied-back-bike.jpg   Not havin much luck .... fork seals now!-left-fork-dive-valve-removed-showing-hex-tool-inserted-un-do-fork-inner-retainer.jpg  

Last edited by Ruaphu; 04-28-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:28 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

It's a very easy job Shakey, shame we're not a bit closer, I'd drop round to lend a hand.

Follow these

Links :- YouTube - Changing Fork Seals Part 1 (of 3)

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-tos-8...cement-104328/

Do as Ruaphu advises, but ask yourself why did they start to leak? Got to solve that issue or it'll be a waste of time 'cos they'll just leak again.

Any pitting or rust on the stanchions where the seal slides, will destroy the seals again so examine them closely if it can't be repaired then replace them. I was lucky enough to pick up a new set off e-bay for half price, otherwise £90 per side. There are second hand ones on e-bay but they may be just as bad as yours.

This is just my opinion after replacing the fkn things three times

Old 04-29-2011, 02:55 PM

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for the help and advise, so .... Thanks!

The fork tubes look good on inspection .... no rust or pitting that I can see ... bike is shoing 23,000 miles on the clock?

I called in at Blackpool Honda today and picked up a genuine seal kit for a very reasonable price. I kno the service/parts guys there, as I've been a good customer for quite a long time. I explained my woes to them and was really taken aback by the amazing offer they made on labour for them to do the job! .... They must be short of work next week or something! lol .... At the price they quoted to do the job, it's really not worth getting my spanners dirty!

It's booked in next Wednesday morning to be sorted..........

I know my limitations........... Especially if it comes at a bargain price!

Happy Bunny again!!!!!!!!

Dave .... lets get those beers cracked open! lol

Thanks everyone

Last edited by shakey; 04-29-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:04 PM

Great to hear ,very good move imo ! ....... let them polish them up etc........

Quick Reply: Not havin much luck .... fork seals now!