CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

nice bike is the hurricane...is this a good deal... newbie here

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: nice bike is the hurricane...is this a good deal... newbie here

Ok. Now your going to have to put the damage right. The main problem is going to be the fairing, you can get an after market one but the issue is how well will it fit, so I would suggest getting a second hand one a making the repairs yourself, secondly, the fan, check the thermostate first and then onto the wiring to find the fault. Also, give the bike a thorough going over checking for leaks and loose bolts. This will help you to understand your bike when anything goes wrong in the future. Although these bikes are quick, the braking system is not what I would call the best, so you will need to check the discs for hairline cracks and the pads for uneven wear. When you are out on the road, try the rear brake and see how it responds, it wont be as good as the front but it is still an effective brake. Hope you also got the right riding gear as you need to have some protection from those that dont see you. And have a great ride, treat the bike with the respect that it deserves and it will look after you. Good luck

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 12-09-2006, 08:54 PM

tightride07,

Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEQtWjOuBB8

It shows one of the classic motorist moves that result in motorcyclist injuries. The infamous "left turning automobile". Followed by motorist saying,"Officer, I never saw him". This accident scenario was common before motorists started using cell phones, navigation systems, cupholders for coffee, using laptops while driving, text messaging, etc.,etc.
Always assume the motorist will do the stupidest thing possible and you will increase your chances of surviving the street.

Jon

You're not paranoid if you know they're out to get you!

Old 12-09-2006, 09:14 PM

Jorge,
Miami? Florida has another hazard to condition yourself for, "the driving dead". Where I'm located we see the "snowbirds" when they return from their seasonal sojurn in your state. Whenever I see a Florida plate I give 'em a wide berth-dumb motorist moves get compounded when the driver is a "snowbird". Guess the northerners have some dollar advantage if they register their cars in Florida.
Several years ago an up and coming road racer(a Florida native) was killed on Florida roads. His last name was Jacks(I'm thinking his first name was Michael or Miguel, I'll have to check) and he was very, very good. So take care, even the guys who have bike skills most of us can only dream about can get caught out by the steel boxes.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:28 PM

Jorge,
Got name wrong, wasn't Miguel or Michael was Donald(Jacks). Link below, if it works, will give details of accident which resulted in his death. He was taken out by a bicyclist who turned into his path!

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcdaily/day0028.html

As the sergeant in the TV show "Hill Street Blues" used to say at the end of his briefing for officers going on duty, "Be careful out there."

Jon

Old 12-10-2006, 12:35 AM

Jorge,
Message in previous post a little confusing. Point being now that drivers devote more time to their onboard toys than to driving, the "left turning auto" accident is only going to get worse.

Jon

Old 12-13-2006, 06:48 PM

I agree with starting out on something smaller...and lighter Definitely takes some getting used to a big, heavy bike. The new bikes are like toys compared.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:21 PM

the fan switch isnt stock..he added that. and you can run the fan all the time on that bike...its fine. I started out on my 1000F but like one of the other guys said, I think its a bit big to be startin out on. Its not dangerously fast but itll hurt you if you dont have respect for it. Its just a big bike and alot of weight to be learning on. It is a sold quality bike though.