CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New CBR Rider & to this forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 03:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CBR Rider & to this forum

Hi to all CBR Riders,

My name is Ed & I am new to this forum but not to the riding world. before getting (married) hitched I had a 78 I think it was a 78 low rider CB650 with a feather light front end, then I kinda ran out of power so went up to a CB750 low rider, still lacking power then to a Kawie 1000. The girls loved it (and me too) especially when the front tire was in the air for several city blocks. You slowly feel their nails diggin into your stomach hanging on so tight. Anyway had to sell it since my to be wife hated bikes.

Over the past 16 years I have watched my SINGLE bro-law ride his 88 CBR1000F Hurricane out of the showroom. It's the Red & Black color scheme. Every summertime he came by and showed it off and the odd time letting me take it for a ride. I just couldn't believe the power this thing had, you crack the throttle at 6000 and the front end would decide to leave the ground. For the past 5 years he never rode his bike once. It was parked in his garage getting old and ugly from all the dust & lack of attention. So I started to bug him about it that if he ever wanted to sell it let me know. Needless to say last April we made a deal and I bought it for a song. He never winterized it or drained the gas or anything, so before doing anything I had to do a complete thorough cleaning of all carbs, fuel lines, from all the tarnish. I took the carbs right into peices, all jets passage ways were totally plugged, seized linkage etc. The gas tank had rust in it and so I decided to put it throguh one of those acid wash baths & conditioner & sealer kit. That stuff worked perfectly. I left the sender unit in it when I washed it with the acid, cleaned up very nicely. After getting it all back together primed the fuel pump applied power to the fuel pump manually to fill carbs before even trying to start it. It fired up right away I let it warm up abit before shutting it down and trailering it back to my place. 450miles away. After getting it home I had to completely polish it up, this thing just sparkled. Still like new with only 25kms on it. It's winter here in Canada now so I have alot of time to polish & wait patiently for warm weather to return. I got really sick News Years day this year so I had nothing better to do beside watch TV in bed (boring, waste of time) so I cruised the net for info on tires when I stumbled on this forum.

This forum rocks,

I have read every CBR forum message & links and view pictures over the past serveral days, I know now that you guys are the best. Tons of experience & knowledge out there. One thing I didn't see was a picture of any Red & Black color scheme, they're are Blue & White.

Sorry for the letter but I am getting alittle anxious for warmer weather, with all your comments of taking out your bikes for rides and tune up tips . . .etc. I can't stand it any more I gotta get a few things worked on before I'm ready to ride again, so I gotta get out into the garage and start working on it.

Just before putting it away for the season last year I took it for one last ride, it was alittle cool out already. I should have let the motor warm up abit before going but I didn't. Came up to a sharper corner and on deceleration in the corner the back tire lost traction abit and it almost threw me when it slid out. So I turned around and went home slowly. Stilling shaking from it I thought I have to get rid of that back tire. It has no grip except when the road is warm.

I need your input on a good gripping tire for the back, I read what you guys wrote about tires but would it be a bad idea to mix and match name brand tires? Should I replace front & back, maybe they sat too long and lost their gripability & got dried out somehow, I don't know that much about tires.

BTW, my wife did go on a couple of rides at the end of summer and she kinda liked it. I took it easy babied it abit hoping that no one would see a Hurricane go that sl

Old 01-05-2006, 07:09 AM
Default RE: New CBR Rider & to this forum

Hi mate,and welcomeI've just recently bought my CBR1000FS which had unmatched tyres on it - didn't handle that great,i have a pair of Dunlop D208's on
it now which have fantastic grip but not sure on how they wear since i've never used em before.Another good tyre is the michelin macadam which i had on my
cbr600,they are a sports-touring tyre but i never had a problem with grip and had over 6000 miles out of the rear which i was pleased with!

Cheers,CBR_LOVER

Old 01-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Default RE: New CBR Rider & to this forum

Replace both those old tires. Does the 88 use bias-ply or radial tires? I use Metzeler Sportec's. They don't wear real well, but the grip and neutral handling are worth it.