CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New 1993 owner.....first post.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 1993 owner.....first post.

ORIGINAL: Shadow

Nice bike, Lee........
I see my old Mate Classic's been jabbering on again - hehe[8D]
I can send you pics of my axle stands, great for all maintenance work, home made for about $20.
Enjoy the new baby.
Shadow send me some pics! I got steel & a welder. I been thinking of my own design, but would love to see someone else's take.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:10 PM

I have the same year model and paint scheme. 46k miles. They are awesome reliable bikes. Took me a couple of months to get used to the handling characteristics. You will love it!!Its much better to ride on the open road than in town to me though.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:35 PM

Welcome Lee, I live about 4 hrs. away in NC. a few things Ive noticed... Honda oil seems to take longer for the clutch to get working on cold mornings, like 38.deg. F. ...i mean it works..but slips a little when cold...I will use Amsoil next oil change...shoulda stayed with it . the bike is heavy but has a lot of power..I went with Dunlop qualifier tires..made all the difference in her when u lean her in a corner! you will need a chain...got a new x ring you can have at cost..114 link....and the guy at the shop i go to....well he moved the back tire up 1/2 inch dosnt seem like much but the thing handles much better......and i have a two Bro's racing exaust...Carbon fiber slip on with stainless header, sounds like a beast. I am going to change the windscreen they have a few that direct the wind a little better than stock...K&N filter is the next change for me...the stock filter was like 60 bucks....K&N is less and reusable....no hard math there. e-mail me and i will send you pics alitekeeper@hotmail.com...oh and one last thing...Heard of the dragons tail....I hope to be there about september of 09 check it out on line if you want...Deals Gap- The Dragons tail...mountains between NC and Tenn....300+ turns in like 6 miles.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 931000frider

Welcome Lee, I live about 4 hrs. away in NC. a few things Ive noticed... Honda oil seems to take longer for the clutch to get working on cold mornings, like 38.deg. F. ...i mean it works..but slips a little when cold...I will use Amsoil next oil change...shoulda stayed with it . the bike is heavy but has a lot of power..I went with Dunlop qualifier tires..made all the difference in her when u lean her in a corner! you will need a chain...got a new x ring you can have at cost..114 link....and the guy at the shop i go to....well he moved the back tire up 1/2 inch dosnt seem like much but the thing handles much better......and i have a two Bro's racing exaust...Carbon fiber slip on with stainless header, sounds like a beast. I am going to change the windscreen they have a few that direct the wind a little better than stock...K&N filter is the next change for me...the stock filter was like 60 bucks....K&N is less and reusable....no hard math there. e-mail me and i will send you pics alitekeeper@hotmail.com...oh and one last thing...Heard of the dragons tail....I hope to be there about september of 09 check it out on line if you want...Deals Gap- The Dragons tail...mountains between NC and Tenn....300+ turns in like 6 miles.
Thanks again guys.

931.....I just got back from Knoxville today. It was 6 hours of rain on the interstate.....not much fun. I was planning on doing the gap and cherohala while out there but there were predictions of snow this weekend so I just ran to Knoxville and back. We ran alot of those roads last May and had a blast. It is definitely a great place to ride in East Tn.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRclassic

I have the same year model and paint scheme. 46k miles. They are awesome reliable bikes. Took me a couple of months to get used to the handling characteristics. You will love it!!Its much better to ride on the open road than in town to me though.
Yer ... they are the best in my view guys...

But around town in traffic , I switch to my "driving an Aircraft Carrier mode"

I find that I do have to concentrate just a bit harder when zipping around in traffic...they are long , a bit heavy and can be a bit weird to manover in tight spaces... but I bloody love them...

You guys forget that my other bike is a 900+ lb Harley Bagger. The cbf may be heavy for a conventional sport bike but to me it feels like I'm handling something like a toy.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: CBRclassic

Mate ... I did not forget anything..
Just did not want to comment on the 900+ lb Harley Bagger
I know you will say that , sure you are able to zip around town on the tank..
But I think to be realistic ..the Harley's type of "zipping around " is just a bit different to the CBR's

These old girls may seem like a toy ...?
and you hopefully will not find out, that they can bite like the real thing...

I've been riding sport bikes for almost 20 years I am fully aware of what they are capable. of.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking bike mate, shouldn't take to much to get the old girl back to normal service, better get used to the guys ribbing,, they are only worried about you (and the bike too).
They are heavy (for a sports bike) but are getting on a bit so people assume they are a bit of a plodder "WRONG" They can and do bite back.
Still able to give the young'uns a good run for their money[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Quick Reply: New 1993 owner.....first post.