CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   New 1993 owner.....first post. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/new-1993-owner-first-post-82476/)

leeinmemphis 11-12-2008 04:17 PM

New 1993 owner.....first post.

Hey guys,

I have been lurking a few days. Today I purchased a 1993 CBR1000f with right at 9800 miles on it and the original tires still on it. The bike is in excellent shape and only needs a couple of things. The owner removed the thermostat because it was stuck this past summer. I'm going to pick the bike up tomorrow and take it to a small independent dealer to get a new set of tires put on it and have the thermostat put in and have the carbs cleaned. Hopefully after that I will have a fairly dependable bike. I've had a bunch of sport bikes over the years and currently also have a harley road glide bagger and a buell s3 sport touring bike. I'm hoping the cbr will replace the Buell and I will probably use it for local rides around town and some short day rides. Looking forward to hanging out with you guys. It looks like these bikes have a true following.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...veb1009008.jpg

CBRclassic 11-12-2008 04:33 PM

RE: New 1993 owner.....first post.

Giday Lee and welcome to the CBRForum mate..:D

That's one nice, clean and very low miles CBR1000 you have there ;)
We are getting quite allot of new members come through of late that own these great older rides ...and it is great too see how many are still kicking around the roads ...

New tryes are a very good idea...
Whats up with the carbies ? ... it does cost quite a bit to have a shop pull them off and clean them mate... if you have no major issues with her , you might want to save a few bucks and just run some carbie cleaner through her ...??

anyways ..have some fun and stay safe..
well done :D

leeinmemphis 11-12-2008 04:37 PM

The previous owner said it sat for 8 years until this past summer and suggested that it may be a good idea to have them gone through. It doesn't seem to have any hesitations or anything so I just thought I'ld ask them to look it over just for a little extra insurance. I guess you're right though. I should probably just put a little carb cleaner in the tank and see if that doesn't help first. The tires are pretty bad so they are gonna get changed from the start. I'll have them check the anti freeze to make sure it's ok and then hopefully I can get it back in a week or two and start riding it a little.

CBRclassic 11-12-2008 04:53 PM

Yup..if she is running ok .. I would drain the tank if it has not been done since the re start after that long sitting ..
Then put the carbie cleaner through to just make sure ;)

A week or two ?? gee will it take them that long to just service her and fit 2 tyres?
It should only be a 1 day effort for a good shop mate :eek:

leeinmemphis 11-12-2008 04:55 PM

They are a little backed up and they are really the only guys that I would trust in the area. If I had a set of wheelstands I would just take the wheels off and have them mounted at the local cycle gear store but for now I'll just have the shop do it.

CBRclassic 11-12-2008 05:02 PM

Yer...I do understand mate..:D

It will be all very worth while ...they are great rides and yours is near bloody new !:D:D

mine has 95000 klm on her now ..and still goes like the clappers!! ( BTW ..that mean great ) :D

ebinz88cane 11-12-2008 05:23 PM

shes clean.. and pretty. she looks mean.. wanna race? hehehe 14,000miles! I like the paint scheme and looks like its been well taken care of.

leeinmemphis 11-12-2008 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: ebinz88cane

shes clean.. and pretty. she looks mean.. wanna race? hehehe 14,000miles! I like the paint scheme and looks like its been well taken care of.
Naaaa.......I still gotta get mine broke in :D

nakedgardener 11-12-2008 05:42 PM

good bike you got there man...it will run 4 ages..take classic's word 4 it...he is the man with the plan..

ebinz88cane 11-12-2008 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: leeinmemphis

ORIGINAL: ebinz88cane

Naaaa.......I still gotta get mine broke in :D

Shucks! well.. my offer is still valid if you ever change ur mind. and want to travel (from Memphis?) to Nevada. hehehe I kid I kid... Welcome to the site and enjoy that beast!