CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My Hurricane is screwed again

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bah...plug it yourself with one of the mushroom type kits, and don't bother with re-balancing...if it was balanced before it will be close enough.

When I was a bike courier in San Fran, my personal record was 6 plugs in the same tire, and I was nowhere near the overall record...never had a single one fail on me ever, in 25+ years. Just be sure to follow the instructions is all.

Sorry about your luck...Illegitimus non carborundum est!!! (ya I know it isn't proper Latin )

Old 10-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get it fixed mate. My old rear tyre got a flat and I got it plugged with only a couple of thousand ks left on it. I had no probs but always took it a bit easy..under 180

Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had no probs but always took it a bit easy..under 180
I always keep mine below 180mph, too...

Old 10-01-2009, 04:07 PM

Plug it yourself. They work great. You don't have to take the tire off at all. The plugs I use stick in from the outside. It is a long piece of rubber with a tool that lets you double it and poke it through the hole (with a lot of cement on it) and twist it to make wide on the inside and tight in the hole (no jokes you monkeys). Mine have all outlasted whatever tire they were in. $3. Ready to fully inflate and ride almost immediately. And they don't weigh anything, no balance job in the world is that precise.

Edit: Crap. I'm full of it. These are TUBE tires. You have to break it down and patch the tube. What I dumb *** I am. Sorry.

Further Edit: I'm even dumber than I thought.

Last edited by JHouse; 10-01-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:16 PM

Sounds like we're both having a time of it. Good to hear that you're going to plug that sucker. My local shop wouldn't do mine & plugs have been difficult to find in the shops. Just lately though they are every where. At least if a plug fails The tire will still only go down slowly whereas a tube just go's pop like a balloon.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHouse
Edit: Crap. I'm full of it. These are TUBE tires. You have to break it down and patch the tube. What I dumb *** I am. Sorry.
I think you were right the first time Joe , these bikes have tubeless tyres

Old 10-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
I think you were right the first time Joe , these bikes have tubeless tyres

Schit, You're right. I was thinking of my Road Tar, with it's spoked wheels. IT'S the one with the tubes.

Never mind.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Double entry.....stupid computer.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 10-01-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: stupid computer doing stuff it should not do.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with the guys that say to plug. I have plugged two of mine with great results. One did still loose some air at about the same rate of one leaking at the bead. I did not have to re-balance. Why take it to the shop? Any auto supplier has the plugging tool and plugs. I use the rope type. I have had better luck with the rope type than the rubber plug type. I think it is because the hole may not be round and the round rubber plug will not conform to the hole like the rope.

It will take less than 3 minutes to plug it yourself and you can ride the bike after filling to the proper psi. Why pay a shop? It will take longer to get it there let alone the waiting for something you can do.

I doubt that a nail or screw cuts so many cords, if any, that the tire would be unsafe. After plugging I ride the bike as if it were not plugged.

If I were to remove the tire for an inside patch, I would replace it then.

How to do link.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TBT, it's cool to see you mention the rope plugs. I use those things all the time on non-moto tires. I bet I've used 30 of those things over the years and never had a problem with them. Where I work, we get lots of flats.

I also drive one of those Kubota RTVs a lot at work, so I just fill the tires with slime and don't worry too much about flats anymore.

They make slime for bikes now, too, but I don't know how I feel about that....

Quick Reply: My Hurricane is screwed again