CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I can has popped fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
That FJR in western MA is looking very tempting

What a terrible thing to be saying
You're right, I found one in Foxboro (MOM's South)

Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by malbojah
Well it wasn't the reg/rec and it wasn't the kill switch so now the fun of tearing into the harness begins (still going to check starter relay and alternator)

Edit: disconnected the starter relay and alternator and still getting continuity on the ignition wire and ground so now I get to tear into the harness

Fun Times....

Double edit: now I'm showing continuity between the black wire (ignition/starter) and the white/green stripe wire (turn signal/brake lights/horn)

That FJR in western MA is looking very tempting
Besides my beautiful CBR, I am the original owner of a 79 Suzuki GS1000. About 95% of the problems with that bike have been electrical. And 99.999% of the electrical problems were in the connections. Taking a stab at the CBR's wiring diagram, I see that the black wire and white/green stripe wire are in the same 9-pin connector. I would find that connector and disconnect it. Check both sides of the connector for continuity. Then the problem is in the switches/wiring, in the connector, or in the wiring after the connector.
And why can't you have your CBR and an FJR?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default uh huh

Thought you'd be eyeballing that one ...... very nice (Black & Cherry) nicely kitted out !

You're right, I found one in Foxboro (MOM's South)

Last edited by Sprock; 10-03-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by slowpoke
Taking a stab at the CBR's wiring diagram, I see that the black wire and white/green stripe wire are in the same 9-pin connector. I would find that connector and disconnect it. Check both sides of the connector for continuity. Then the problem is in the switches/wiring, in the connector, or in the wiring after the connector.
Which 9-pin connector are you talking about? figured that out, was disconnected from the start

Also, new problem: I get continuity between the black wire at the rec and ground. If I take the fuse out for the tail/meter/position, I lose continuity. With the fuse in, if I pull the connector to the dash lights (backlights for speedo and tach) I lose continuity.

It''s almost like the short is in the tail/meter circuit and back-feeding to pop my ignition fuse.

EDIT: I figured out the continuity through the dash lights - duh, one side hot, the other side is ground which is the green wire which I'm hooked up to by the rectifier. It's finding continuity because all the fuses are still in the fuse block.

The black wire for the ignition circuit has been checked out and is not shorting anywhere (I have several pounds of duct tape that I removed from the wire harness, not pretty)

Last edited by malbojah; 10-03-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM

My current status:

Old 10-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You could but a bunch of fuses and start shaking the harness in isolated areas to help pin point the source of the short. It could be hiding in the starter switch or other hidden spot.

I like your bike stand.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
You could but a bunch of fuses and start shaking the harness in isolated areas to help pin point the source of the short. It could be hiding in the starter switch or other hidden spot.

I like your bike stand.

I tried that this morning (seems so long ago), but now I have to re-wrap the whole harness and hook up everything again

Old 10-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried that this morning (seems so long ago), but now I have to re-wrap the whole harness and hook up everything again
Did you but a bunch of fuses or did you BUY a bunch of fuses? LOL

Old 10-03-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Did you but a bunch of fuses or did you BUY a bunch of fuses? LOL
I've gone through almost a dozen 10a fuses since this started. Almost done realigning the harness (I did a fabulous wrapping job)

Old 10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did ya open up the harness wrapping where the it loops around the forks and gets the
most repetitive amount of flexing and chafing/rubbing and check there..?

like the rear wheel in the table clamp

Quick Reply: I can has popped fuse?